18% Transcendence Apr 18

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Reviews

TomBowler
TomBowler

July 31, 2009
Action packed and much, much darker, this installment introduces a whole lot of new characters and one in particular in its one-hell-of-an ending. Full review later.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
Director Mike Newell takes the helm for this, the 4th entry in the Harry Potter series. I would have preferred that Alfonso Cuaron remain, but whatever.

For his 4th year at Hogwarts, Harry finds himself unwillingly entered into the Tri-Wizards Tournament: a lauded, but quite dangerous competition between Hogwarts and two other European wizarding schools. Not only that, but he's also got to deal with his increasing hormones, as well as the fact that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (aka Lord Voldemort) is potentially making a comeback.

Having read the book, and enjoying it very much, I need to say that this film really isn't that stellar of an adaptation. Granted, the book is like 734 pages, and this film runs 157 minutes (with credits, so of course much trimming is needed. But I suppose that where the film fails to include all the little details (including many subplots and a few characters), it does decently where getting the broad strokes of the story are concerned, even though it did seem a tad bewildering and choppy at times. All in all though, it gets the point across, even if they could have done a slightly better job translation the page to the screen.

The principle cast have returned, and they have gotten quite a firm grasp on the characters. The teenage performers are admittedly somewhat awkward, but it works in their favor as they and their characters are going through puberty, making the awkwardness a little more understandable. Welcome additions to the cast include Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort, Robert Pattinson as Cedric Diggory- one of the competitors in the tournament, and a wonderfully scene stealing turn from Brendan Gleeson as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, complete with false leg and a neat trick eye. Pattinson is actually pretty decent, and far more interesting here than in his later role in the Twilight series. Gleeson is a ham, and, while it is a deliciously fun performance, I think even more so in that regard would be the brief appearances by Miranda Richardson and David Tennant. Unfortunately, Oldman gets reduced to a far too brief cameo, and that's one of the few changes that actually really bugged me legitimately.

The seeds of darkness were sowed with the previous entry, but they really start to bloom here, giving a foreshadowing of what is to come. As a result of the increasing dark subject matter, this became the first, though certainly not last, entry to get a PG-13 rating. There's still some whimsy and light hearted moments in places, but not as many as in the book.

There's some great set pieces, strong effects, and some great cinematography here. This is some really stunning stuff, and I just love all that is done to really make this world come alive. John Williams is absent as composer, but what we get is still good, and it does provide a nice variation on Williams's theme.

Overall, a flawed, but still really good film.
Josh L

July 3, 2007
After Azkaban, it was clear that this series was getting darker and more mature with each installment. It isn't as artfully realized and beautiful as Cuaron's vision of the Potter universe, but what Newell lacks in that area he more than makes up for in pure thrills and fun. Goblet is a great time and the actors/actresses involved just kept getting better. This is a slight step back in the artful direction the series was taking after Cuaron, but a major step forward in pacing and entertainment value. This is one of the best books in the series and even though they had to cut out a bunch of the details, the movie does not suffer from it in my opinion. This is the installment I throw in if I just want to have a good time in a well thought-out fantasy world. Newell lacked the imagination much like Columbus, but his popcorn thrills were much obliged.
Eugene B

August 22, 2008
Fourth year in Hogwarts and things can only get darker and more dangerous from here. The final moments of this film really does push limits and brings Harry into even more ominous and threatening territory. 4.5/5
Jason S

December 26, 2006
Pretty good
Adriel L

February 10, 2012
Nice try, but it deviates much too much from how HP should be, while its predecessors were intense, this one is intensely comical. In a good way it was entertaining, but certainly not how I'd like it to be.
Alexander D

June 14, 2011
First PG-13 film in the Harry Potter series is extremely unfaithful to the source novel, but it does not skip every single detail and leave slight plot remaining a la JUMPER, per se. We could see that the author's dark twist in the saga was being made an omen by the third entry. Now it's time to rev it up around five notches.

The best thing (or worst thing, some might say) about HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE is that it marks the first flesh-and-bone appearance of Lord Voldemort. Even by the fourth entry, we don't know a great deal about him, but we know enough for a seven-part saga (with the seventh part broken into two). We know that he is still after Harry Potter, the boy who survived the night Voldemort murdered his parents and attempted to murder him (in case you aren't familiar with the story, which is a pity if you don't know that much).

Still, this has solid acting and pulse-pounding fantasy scenes. A lot of us fear corn mazes, and near the end, there is an intense, blink-and-you're-dead-type, magical corn maze. Wow.
Wildaly M

November 19, 2006
Decent installment.
Colin M

July 30, 2008
Another great installment in the Harry Potter film series, The Goblet of Fire was quite an amazing flick and provided us, for the first time on screen, with the children as young adults. However, the film offers very little in comparison to the novel its adapted from and leaves out many of the sub plots found in the book and much of its depth, If only this and Order of the Phoenix had been long films like the Deathly Hallows movies, then perhaps they would have been perfect.
Scott G

October 25, 2011
In my opinion the most interesting in the series of Harry Potter, must be the competition and tensity o the film.
Jason R

March 30, 2010
Probably the best one in the series. Time to watch it again.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

September 28, 2006
I find this entry in the series to be a bit of a curiosity. It's a step down from the extraordinary entry before it, but it isn't altogether bad. It just feels a bit lopsided in a narrative sense. The front half of the film is loaded with character development while the the other half is story development. These things usually go hand in hand, but not in the case. They feel very much seperate in this film, and as a result, the film doesn't work as well it should. There's a lot of good stuff going on, but not in a very strong narrative way. The film's real strengths are its score (which is the series' best thus far) and the introduction of Voldemorte. To sum it all up, the overall product is good without being great, and the series could do with a revamp... hence the sequels that would soon follow when director David Yates took the series over.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

February 13, 2011
The second best in the series and one of the most chilling and greatest fantasy films ever made, truly amazing. In his fouth year, Voldemorts followers have attacked the Quidditch World Cup, Harry goes to school and discover a legendary tournament will be held at their school, the Tri Wizard Cup. When someone puts Harrys name in the Goblet of Fire, he is forced into the deadly tournament at too young a age, and nobody believes he didn't do it. Harry must face dragons, mermaids, a deadly maze, and the return of the most evil wizard ever. It had an incredible plot that really tests the tension and the teenage problems of our heroes. The effects in the Goblet of Fire are truly Oscar worthy, they created an entire Dragon scene flying around Hogwarts, then an entire underwater battle against evil mermaids, and then a deadly murderous maze that was scary as sh!t, and finally the beginning of the war begins with a awesome wizrd duel against Harry and Voldemort. This movie was not for children fans of Harry Potter, but I think the maturity is what made it better. the music is just as Oscar worthy and great as the final HP film, and the music at the final battle is monumental. So if you like dragons, killer mermaids, demonic mazes, and a chilling final ending, go see this film, espically if your a HP fan.
Eric A

July 31, 2011
Loved it, the series keeps going without losing steam. That's a good thing to say after how great the 3rd film was.
blkbomb
blkbomb

April 24, 2011
Voldemort: Don't you turn your back on me, Harry Potter! I want you to look at me when I kill you! I want to see the light leave your eyes!

"Dark and Difficult Times Lie Ahead."

As a huge fan of Harry Potter, there is no way to not love this movie. Voldermort is back and now the story can start to go where we want it. This also continues the progressing of the films getting darker and darker. Also as the movies get darker, the situations on screen get more and more serious.

The Mike Newells one and only Harry Potter movie and he did a really good job with it. Brendan Gleeson makes an appearance as the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Alastor "Mad-Eye" Moody. Gleeson does do an extrodianary job in his role. Also worth a note, is that we get to see Ron on his period. Watching him after Harry is selected for the tournament still annoys me. Enough talk about that though, as there's only one thing that really matters about this movie.

Voldermort Is Back! Ralph Fiennes makes his first appearance in the franchise as Lord Voldermort, and even though he's only on-screen for maybe 10 minutes; he completely kills it. Fiennes as Voldermort is so perfect. The scene where he is brought back, for me, is the most iconic scene; that is until the last movie and the final showdown. Besides being introduced to Voldermort in the film, we also learn about the Death Eaters.

All the rest of the movies are much more tense throughout because we know Voldermort is back.
Fernando Rafael Q

June 22, 2006
Stylistically, it's well developed and the story that served as basis for this film is perhaps the richest and most engrossing. We've learned by now that that is not vital for a film to be captivating, though. Prisoner of Azkaban worked with a very thin tale, and the result was mesmerizing. Brendan Gleeson, Miranda Richardson and, of course, Ralph Fiennes are the latest (great) additions to the legendary cast. Mike Newell's rom-com touch is evident.
Matt G

January 21, 2011
My favorite Potter movie. It's nearly flawless. I loved the dragon fight the most and this is one of the best films of all time. What makes this installment so perfect is the maturity that that the series is gaining, with more intense situations and more grown up characters (and a PG-13 rating). We are powered by stellar performances and undeniably great special effects that is sure to please all fans. Highly recommended.
Drake T

July 16, 2011
It seems the cast and school of Hogwarts isn't immune to the blundering embarrassments of puberty. Although difficult, the subject isn't impossible to present in a respectful credible manner, Newell fails to follow through in that regard.

Also, the story makes little sense. The whole point was to make Harry touch an inanimate object to be transported somewhere? Do you mean to tell me that there wasn't an easier way to get Harry to TOUCH something? Or why not just kidnap him? Could it really be that difficult?

The plot is just a bad excuse for us to watch the "exciting" tri-wizard tournament and a mosaic of scenes treating us to the delectable theme of teen angst! Oh brother.

Perhaps the saving grace of GoF is the tremendous expansion of the HP lore/universe. We're introduced to other schools, wizards from around the world! Types of dragons, mermaids, the Quidditch world cup, etc. A lot of fun worldly ideas, I only wish they were explored in the context of a story that actually made sense.
KJ P

January 12, 2010
The fourth installment in the Potter franchise is the absolute best of the franchise, and it's going to be very difficult to beat. I think that this film is brilliant beyond belief and if this is where the future of these films is going to be, then I am sold! A beautifully stunning film, with thrills, action and gags. WONDERFUL! The films get better and better each time, this franchise is destined for greatness! This time, Harry is chosen to take part in a legendary tournament that will test his skills and ultimately journey him into his deepest and darkest encounter that we have all been waiting for. It is the beginning of the end and I could not be more satisfied. This film shows true emotion and characters and I for one and completely intrigued enough to call this film a masterpiece of a fantasy film. Genius!
Edward B

October 20, 2006
When kids first grasped Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, no doubt they were roughly about 10 or 11 years old, much like Harry was at that age. Four years later, the kids, like Harry are now teenagers. Fitting that Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire is NOT a kid's film. This is a violent, dark, and thematically complex narrative that tackles the most frightening of all teenaged themes: raging hormones.
The centrepiece of this film is a dance. When Hermione descends the staircase in her dress, you realize that she is no longer a child; she's turning into a young woman. Both Harry and Ron have to deal with their sudden attraction to the opposite sex, as well as the latter's attraction to them. The authenticity of this sequence gets their anxieties spot on. I could relate completely and I didn't have the fate of the world resting on my shoulders, or a psychotic evil wizard plotting to kill me.
The story focuses on Harry competing in the Tri Wizard Tournament. He will face dragons, evil mermaids, and a plot to revive Voldemort. Ralph Fiennes is cast as The Dark Lord, and his short but brilliant performance invokes as much fear into its audience as the past three films have only hinted at. Fiennes is perfectly cast.
Director Mike Newell is know for adult fare like Four Weddings And A Funeral as well as Donnie Brasco. It is fitting that he would tackle the fourth Harry Potter film. The themes that this film touches upon are no longer for children. People, and kids, are brutally killed. Teen sexuality is making a very obvious appearance. And the inner turmoil that Harry has to deal with having to grow up without ever knowing his parents is something that few children - or adults for that matter - can relate to. This is a near masterpiece who's only flaw is that it doesn't resolve anything, making me have to wait another two years for this wonderful film franchise to continue!