Early Work Starting Up for "Harry Potter 6"

The fifth Harry Potter flick is still a few months away, but that won't stop the buzz from churning on the sixth Harry Potter flick. Yes, we have some news on "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

According to ComingSoon.net (and cited from an article in Newsweek), production designer Stuart Craig is already busy preparing his sets for "HP6," and he's pretty darn psyched to read the seventh book, too. This way he'll know which sets will need to be held on to! One of Craig's biggest jobs for Chapter 6 is an astronomy tower in which something bad apparently happens.

Click for more from this summer's "Order of the Phoenix"

You can see Mr. Craig's work in all of the Harry Potter movies. He's been Oscar-nominated for "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," "Chaplin," "The Mission," and "The Elephant Man." On top of that he also won three Oscars: "The English Patient," "Dangerous Liaisons," and "Gandhi." Pretty impressive resume!

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" opens on July 13th, while "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" is expected to arrive for 2008's holiday season.

Comments

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

Oh yes, something very bad indeed happens on that astronomy tower.

Feb 12 - 01:19 AM

fizzypulp

Katie Teasdale

AHHHHHHHH i dont care about the films but am so excited for the 7th book

Feb 12 - 03:39 AM

toniokruger

adi nugroho

[b]work has started without director?[/b]
Seriously, who's overseeing Mr Craig's work ? David Heyman, the producer ? Jo Rowling ? Alan Horn ? Volder-freakin'-mort himself ? Jeez, at this stage the HP series is slowly turning into the "X-Men" franchise. Build the sets, shops the FX, keep the cast from tabloids --oops, too late. The director ? Why, he can come on the 1st day of shooting...

Cmon Warner... Treat this baby right. Get Del Toro. Get Cuaron. Give the final chapters the GRAND send off.

Feb 12 - 05:00 AM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Yes, b/c Del Toro and Cuaron are both highly qualified to direct children's movies... FFS, this is a children's series (okay, a tweener series, maybe) and the movies should be directed at that audience (not at the critics -- idiots that they are).

And this isn't a dark series, either (perhaps JKR believes it is, but only for 10 year olds). Characters dying does not qualify, particularly if the deaths are fairly cookie-cutter. A darker tone to the final few movies is appropriate, but not Cauron or Del Toro dark (and not Columbus bright either, but somewhere in between).

Feb 12 - 10:08 AM

Conehead2187

Sean Berger

[b]You do know...[/b]
...Cuaron already directed a HP movie. So I don't think it's entirely out of the question to ask him to come back for another.

Feb 12 - 12:18 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Yeah, HP3, I know -- the critics loved it -- was it appropriate for the target audience, though -- sure, good enough -- could it have been better for that demographic -- probably

Feb 12 - 01:12 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Cuaron has directed the best one in the series so far already, but I'd like to see them give it to a British director since Harry is British as Mince Meat Pie. Give it to Guy Ritchie then we can have Vinny Jones as the Werewolf guy. Could you imagine him in that cast? :)

Feb 12 - 01:27 PM

TheIceGhost

Harry Myland

I dunno, I always thought Cuaron's flick had the right balance. Mike Newell's was pretty good in the tone department as well. There's some serious stuff in this series, some 'darkish' stuff I suppose you could say. It's not a 'dark' series, but at the same time it isn't exactly lighthearted. If I had to choose a (realistic) director to do the last two (esp. with 'The DEATHLY HALLOWS still in the pipe-work), it probably would be Cuaron, albiet, a lot fans hated Cuaron's PoA because it was 'too different'.

And to be frank, the only people that tend to call this series kiddish are people who haven't read the books. There's a reason they constantly break records. If the series was simply for kids they wouldn't do that. There's something there for everybody, and the films should reflect that.

Feb 12 - 01:31 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Not saying it's kiddish (though it is -- and that's what makes them so enjoyable) -- I'm saying that kids are the target audience. I understand why it breaks records, but the preponderance of the readers are of a certain age group. Cuaron is a good director, just not the appropriate one (given the target audience)... Oh well, I guess blaspheming the sacred one is too much.

Feb 12 - 04:04 PM

toniokruger

adi nugroho

[b]and the director is ?[/b]

Feb 12 - 05:08 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

George Lucas.

Feb 12 - 07:08 AM

bribios

brian wilson

At least that would mean he isn't screwing up Indy IV.

Feb 12 - 09:54 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

George Lucas.

Feb 12 - 07:08 AM

bribios

brian wilson

At least that would mean he isn't screwing up Indy IV.

Feb 12 - 09:54 AM

bribios

brian wilson

At least that would mean he isn't screwing up Indy IV.

Feb 12 - 09:54 AM

lrm8

john smith

Quentin Tarantino

Feb 12 - 02:02 PM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

i agree, someone pitch this to tarintino. it'd be interesting to see Dumbeldore explode when he dies...... oh shit.

Feb 12 - 02:17 PM

dagreenman18

Brian Lorenzo

Feb 12 - 02:17 PM

arcadefire325

Angela Brannan

rob zombie

Feb 12 - 03:16 PM

Samwise Gamgee

Ryan Sanderson

M. Night Shyamalan. I honestly believe had he taken the mantle of Harry Potter up when given the opportinity, he'd still be largely in the public's good graces, as would the Potter films. I realize LOTS of haters are going to blow me away with this, but lets not kid ourselves. The guy is an excellent director. We can debate all day about his writing talent, but his directorial skills should never come into question. I think Shyamalan should have taken the opportunity, but then again, I'd be missing Unbreakable and Signs, 2 movies I loved. Still, I'll agree Cuaron is an equally good decision. He directed the only film in the series I even remotely liked.

Feb 12 - 03:27 PM

Bane Of Anubis

C M

Feb 12 - 04:04 PM

Karl

John Locke

the Half-Blood Prince is indeed a very dark book, and will be an even darker movie.

Feb 12 - 09:00 PM

Samwise Gamgee

Ryan Sanderson

Wow! 2 days and no angry rebuttle to my M. Night comment. Maybe the haters are dying down.

Feb 13 - 09:29 PM

toniokruger

adi nugroho

[b]M Night is fine with mood and actors, but..[/b]
... can he handle the action/FX scenes ? And please don't say that it's the 2nd Unit director job. HP 3, the most acclaimed entry of the series so far, has all the right tone, pacing and characterization DESPITE not having an action packed finale...

And yet, the highlight of the film (arguably the highlight of the series) is the Buckbeack flight. Pure poetry and exhilaration. It helps that Cuaron had handled FX in 'Little Princess' and to a lesser degree, 'Great Expectations'.

Feb 14 - 12:59 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus