RT's Trailer Analysis: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Summary

The Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince teaser has been released and RT have decided to take a closer look at the minute and a half of new footage. Read our breakdown of the things to look out for when the sixth film in the Boy Wizard franchise comes out. Back to Article

Comments

Jesus_Enthusiast

Patrick Morris

@ xburyyourlovex

Exactly what orionquest said. The Weasley twin actors died their hair for the part so Daniel could have, but I guess Ron having red hair is far more important than Harry having black.

I think most other actors fit the bill or I just never had a clear idea of what some characters looked like so what the actors who played them look like didn't matter to me.

And thanks to opTIMus Nerd for liking my animated series idea.

Aug 4 - 12:42 AM

Jesus_Enthusiast

Patrick Morris

Probably shouldn't purposely double post, but just in case people get confused or something, I meant "but I guess Ron's whole family having red hair is far more important than Harry having black.

Damn site not having an edit button...

Aug 4 - 12:47 AM

adnanaltaf

Adnan Altaf

See... even though physical appearance is very very important... it's still not important than acting. Dan may not be perfect but still as Harry he's good. Harry has many physical attributes which makes him very unique. I'll list them with their decreasing importance.

1) The Scar
2) Green Eyes
3) Circle Glasses
4) Skinny
5) Hair standing at the end

Dan except the hair part has been portrayed with all these things! Now who do you want?? A person who looks exactly as Harry but acts like Michael Gambon does as Dumbledore... and Gambon doesn't even wear glasses!!! or a person who resembles Harry very much and acts exactly as he does???

Aug 4 - 10:19 AM

Jesus_Enthusiast

Patrick Morris

Daniel Radcliff has blue eyes... and I'm pretty sure he doesn't wear green eye contact lenses for the movies. He also has brown hair when Harry has black, and they didn't even simply dye it or attempt to mess it up. And anyone can put on a fake scar and glasses.

And yeah Gambon is a worse Dumbledore than Daniel is a bad Harry. But all this isn't even that important because the point I first made was just that if there was an animated series they wouldn't have to look for "look-a-likes". It's impossible to find a 100% look-a-like so that's why a cartoon would work better at conveying the characters.

Aug 4 - 10:04 PM

ryanandustinsmom

Denise Gordon

I can't wait for this movie to come out. I have read all the books and watched all of the movies. I belive this movie is going to really show how much the cast has grown since the relase of the first Harry Potter movie. I think that we will really enjoy the conflict that this movie will bring and be sitting on the edge of our sits waiting to see whats comming.

Aug 4 - 11:12 AM

Drakar

Mike S

The trailer gives me a glimmer of hope. OOtP beat us over the head with details that in the books come across as subtle and witty. Dumbledore (up until now) has been played by Gambon as a surly grumpy old man, while he really should have been played more like Harris' portrayal (which matched the books almost perfectly). So far, just judging by the glimmer given in this trailer it looks like they might be going a bit more toned-down, with some actual subtlety and so-on.

Aug 4 - 02:59 PM

crazybstrdphil

Philip Wilmut

Yes, I would. The longer, the more they put in...the more they put in, the better!

Aug 4 - 03:11 PM

crazybstrdphil

Philip Wilmut

TO: thefilmaker

Have you made an adaption of a 652 page book? When you have, come back and post another comment. David Yates is probably the best director for this series. If J.K. Rowling didn't like what THE WRITER did then she would have said. Everyone blames Yates when its not his fault; its the producers. He has a boss too.

Aug 4 - 03:16 PM

CalvinandHobbes23

Matt Gibbs

yeah, everyone, let's not get freaked out over an added scene.
LOTR had lots of them and those movies were awesome.

Aug 4 - 07:09 PM

Jesus_Enthusiast

Patrick Morris

Aug 4 - 10:04 PM

supershiva

Shiva Nagri

Very detailed analysis..
but i dont think the movie's gonna be as great as the trailer...
coz some trailers are better than the movies...
especially since the last movie order of the pheonix i got very bored.
It would be better if columbus would have directed it.
Yates not good @ all.

CrAzYbLoG
v.CoL

Aug 4 - 10:52 PM

grimsreaperX

Benjamin Crais

God, another one. >:(

Aug 5 - 04:44 PM

pacracer67

pat cullen

okay this is to everyone who is upset about bill and fleur not being in it...
i dont like the fact the bill and fleur aren't in it either, but really the only BIG part they play in it is that bill gettins attacked by fenrir, other than that they really dont play a big part. and if they were in it, it would only lengthen the movie because they would have to be in it enough for the audience to get attached to bill.

And as for the Gaunts, just because you won't see them in the movie does'nt mean they aren't going to talk about them. They are in a key memory it has to be talked about.

As for the added scene, i loved this book it was one of my favorites, but the middle was pretty dry the film needs to have something in it to keep peoples interest or it'll get boring and i think a dementor attack on the burrow is a great idea to keep the plot line of the movie more interesting and action packed.

So people who are upset by this minute and a half movie trailer, just shut up and wait for the movie to come out! im sure it'll be good all the other ones were.

Aug 5 - 10:02 PM

arite

Simus Arite

OHhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I cannot wait!!

Aug 5 - 11:37 PM

josuepilk

Josue Pilk

The novels are there to open one's imagination, the movies are there to limit it. You want everything from the book in the movie? Read the book and close your eyes.

Aug 6 - 03:25 PM

onedimpledcheek

Ariel Orozco

It's amazing how much some people with argue back and forth with each other when neither one is clearly going to win. Dan doesn't look like Harry? Bull****. If you're sitting for two hours nitpicking because his hair is brown and his eyes are blue, then you've wasted your time and money. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Dan's good at what he does. I don't know about the rest of you, but he's Harry when he's on that screen.

I didn't take to Gambon immediately. I'd just gotten used to Harris' Dumbledore, but now, I can't even recall what he was like unless I watch the first two films. I think Gambon has captured a bit of what the younger Dumbledore was like, the one we get a taste of in Deathly Hallows.

Some of you need to stop jerking off to LOTR. Seriously. They were gorgeous to look at, but I just completely spaced out the whole time.

And I think judgment should be reserved until we all see the final product. Then you can bash it all you like. Really, folks. Just enjoy it for what it is. One question that's been bugging me of late: How are they going to get away with a PG-13 rating in this film, and especially the next two? People talk about how dark the movies have gotten, and it makes me wonder if they've even opened the last three books. The books are dark, frighteningly so. If you somehow missed that, then you're daft.

Aug 6 - 11:53 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

Dan is harry because he's grown into the role. That's what people see him as now, Harry Potter.
It doesn't MAKE him Harry. Dan's not the rebellious conflicted boy he is in the books.

Gambon may redeem himself in HBP. We'll see. The final product indeed.

The good thing is, Steve Kloves is back. Now we can REALLY see how David Yates can direct.

Aug 7 - 09:21 AM

filmphan821

Jessica Schafer

I loved the trailer and everything...but what about the half-blood prince? After all, that is the title of the movie and everything. It would be nice to see a reference to the actual half-blood prince storyline in the trailer. This was only a teaser though, hopefully we'll see some of that in the full trailer.

Aug 7 - 01:16 PM

armando986

Luis Armando Becerril

I understand when directors cut out some parts of the book. A book tells things that cannot be filmed, it's not the same. Anyway, I think sometimes, director add scenes that weren't in the book and that changes the storyline a lot. HP and TOotP was, for me, a good movie, but not the best. It changed a lot of important things that sholdn't have been changed. I hope they keep at least the main storyline in this movie. It seems that it's going to be greeeeeat!!

Aug 8 - 09:13 AM

.jake.hads.yo.

jakey hadmeisteroni

ive got a few things to say.

firstly, stop beating down daniele radcliffe. hes a great actor and i dont care what anyone says, he looks like harry god whos the stupid kid that said harry has black hair and dan has brown like omfg! his hair is dark brown who gives a ****? he looks almost exactly like harry, just look at the covers of the books, and he is great at acting like harry.

second, i think that all this crying about an added scene is just stupid. thats hollywood for you. no matter how dark the movies may be getting, people will still bring there small kids to this and a small child wouldnt be able to pay attention for very long without any action till the end, and dont expect them to understand the whole (SPOILER) horcrux thing. more action will just broaden the audience to non fans of the book.

thirdly, dont comment on how bad the movie is. seriously, you ppl have no life if all you do is post ridicoulously long comments about how bad the movie will be. no fan wants or cares about ur opinion. so shut up.

anyways, lastly the movie looks awesome cant wait for it to come out, i thought the fifth was a little shaky but this one looks great.

Aug 8 - 11:18 AM

Jesus_Enthusiast

Patrick Morris

@ .jake.hads.yo.

Well I am the stupid kid who said Harry has black hair and Dan has brown... I never said I really had a problem with it, I was just correcting someone's mistake because they should get their facts straight no matter how much it doesn't matter.

The whole (hor)crux of the matter is that not just Dan, but no one will ever look exactly like the character they portray, and that if there was a cartoon series then they'd have all the characters look how they should according to Rowling. That's all I was saying. No beating down of Dan. No need to get all angry.

Also you complaining about people being stupid on this forum is worse than people being stupid on this forum. Don't even know why I'm still continuing to talk in this forum...

Aug 9 - 04:44 AM

Jesus_Enthusiast

Patrick Morris

@ .jake.hads.yo.

Aug 9 - 04:44 AM

Critics Consensus
Critics Consensus

Transcendence is a Sci-Fi Snooze

Johnny Depp's Best Movies

Picture gallery of movie bears

Good Friday