Warners Splitting Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows In Two?

Those ever-popular "unnamed sources" at work again.

They've all been well-received by fans and critics, but the Harry Potter films -- particularly the later ones -- have come under fire for the progressively larger chunks of the books that have been left off the screen. When it comes to the final installment of the series, however, this all might change.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows isn't the longest of the Potter books -- that honor goes to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, which weighs in at 870 pages -- but as the culmination of the series, it naturally contains a number of crucial plot points. According to IGN Movies (reporting from The Mail on Sunday), Warner Bros. may abandon heavy edits and simply split the book into two movies. From the article:

"There's so much to fit that the view is the last movie should be in two halves. There is a huge battle when Harry, played by Daniel Radcliffe, takes on Voldemort that needs to be done really well."

As IGN notes, rumors regarding who might be in line to direct Hallows have been swirling for some time now, with Steven Spielberg and Guillermo del Toro two of the most popular names. Maybe they'll both be able to take the job.

Source: IGN Movies

Comments

Mr. Bowler

Joseph Tomlinson

Do they dare pull a Kill Bill?

Jan 15 - 05:12 AM

jeremyd4

jeremy d

I think it's a good idea. Having not read the books myself, you can tell the movies are often assuming a lot of viewers. Those who've read the books just seem to get things more. I've had to have many long conversations with friends (who've read the books) just to fill in all the blanks.

They should just do a LOTR and film the last two books back to back. Then split this up into four movies.

Jan 15 - 05:20 AM

Morloch

Jimmy Cahill

Or you could read the books... just trowing that out there, the movies have sucked since POA, and even that left out loads. the books are far more thrilling.

Jan 15 - 02:30 PM

jasperoosterveld

Jasper Oosterveld

Great idea, they should have done that with the last two movies as well.

Jan 15 - 05:22 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

Why make one film when you can make two for twice the profits?!

This is just milking a franchise.

If they really cared about the source material they wouldn't have waited until the last book to present us with a decent adaptation.

Jan 15 - 05:48 AM

Damon Blade

damon blade

Have you ever read the books?

Jan 16 - 05:20 PM

dreamworks21

Sean Collins-Smith

its not about making a "decent adaptation", its about making the best adaptation possible of the last book...since there are no more HP movies after this one, they have to wrap everything up they can, and if that means two movies than so be it in my opinion.

Jan 19 - 02:46 PM

dreamworks21

Sean Collins-Smith

Jan 19 - 02:47 PM

RUM0R

Paul Tresten

Actually I think this could be a good thing. I liked Order of the Phoenix, but I felt the film left out details that have some importance in the following films. By splitting Deathly Hallows, I feel the great moments in book will get on-screen treatment it rightfully deserves.

If they do split the movie, I hope they shoot the entire film like Peter Jackson did in LOTR.

Jan 15 - 05:54 AM

MMacKK

Alex Mackenzie

Good, good news.
And they would film it together, for financial reasons surely.

Jan 15 - 06:29 AM

reneej597

rebecca watts

I totally agree that they should split the movie into two parts. The Order of the Phoenix movie left so much out that was in the book that it ended up being a little disapointing for me, and I'm sure for anyone else who read the book.

Jan 17 - 05:50 AM

Shatter24

Jeremiah Rancourt

I'm onboard with this idea. Make the finale a huge spectacle and release it either one year apart or two times the same year (maybe a May release and a Nov. release?).

Jan 15 - 06:42 AM

jpbresnihan

john bresnihan

they'd have to film them together, it wouldnt make sense if in deathly hallows part 2 harry looked two years older than in part 1..

i definately think it would work. there is enough action throughout the entire seventh book to make two exciting films.

Jan 15 - 07:04 AM

thetruebastard

bart barker

Yawn, another four hours of boring fantasy filmmaking.

Jan 15 - 07:22 AM

loves2spoolge

connor story

dude ur an idiot these movies are not boring this is on the edge of ur seat ur an idiot for saying that and right after i read that book i kept sAYING to myself they have to do something to inculde everything cause if they dont its going to suck and i think the guy to direct it shoud be the guy from the 4th one but i like speilberg or el toro niceeee

Jan 15 - 06:49 PM

MaxFisher14

Jack Essenberg

This could be f-cking awesome if Guillermo del Toro directs them

Jan 15 - 07:58 AM

photosuperstar

Aaron Abbott

Bring on Guillermo!

Jan 15 - 08:08 AM

Astr0creep

Mega Mann

Since there are HP video games, Uwe Boll should direct this.

Jan 15 - 08:14 AM

phoenixphire24

Sharon Petersen

Sounds like a good idea to me. There's not a whole lot of DH that can be cut for time without destroying the plot. The final battle alone should take up a good hour. I'd be willing to wait in between movies, as long as it wasn't more than 6 months. Del Toro would be awesome for the last movie.

Jan 15 - 08:22 AM

Vortex&Vertigo

Joel Feliciano

No Del Toro I want him for the Hobit. Spierlberg would be awesome.

Jan 15 - 08:47 AM

Jane Doe

Chad Hensdale

Its better that trying to cram to much into one film ala the venom storyline of Spiderman 3. I vote for 2

Jan 15 - 08:54 AM

thetruebastard

bart barker

Not even Spielberg or Del Toro can save this cliched, conventional franchise of films.

Jan 15 - 09:01 AM

nate2709

Nate 2709

Why not, a lot more money to be made that way.

Jan 15 - 09:03 AM

opTIMus Nerd

Tim Ahlberg

My only concern is that Deathly Hallows part 1 would be a two hour documentary of Harry, Hermione and Ron's never ending camping trip.

Jan 15 - 09:34 AM

ajmk123

jacob hester

Wow thetruebastard, just leave you have no idea what you are talking about. Just go.

P.S. I called this, i said this was the only way to do it and finally the studios does something right.

Jan 15 - 10:01 AM

Agent0042

George Buttner

I think this is great. I can totally see this for [i]Deathly Hallows[/i] -- not so much for [i]Half-Blood Prince[/i]. To be honest, I'm not sure just how they're going to do [i]Prince[/i] -- so much of it is flashback scenes; it seems like the HP novel least well-suited for a film.

Jan 15 - 10:37 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus