Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Reviews

June 6, 2007
god i love these movies, call me a nerd i dont care.
July 13, 2007
Arguably the worst "Harry Potter" installment. Why am I giving it my highest rating, nonetheless? Aside from being weird, I believe that even though it's weaker than its predecessors, the film had so many things to deal with because it is the longest book. So, I'm deciding to give it a break. It's not a bad movie at all. It's good but it's not magnificient. This film is the darkest, meanest, and most threatening of them all--which overall, I approve in its direction. Still, I can't help but notice that the sense of wonder and humour that we enjoyed in the past were all gone. It makes me question whether the last two movies should get darker. I was taken aback during the first scene because it had a horror-thriller feel to it. Aside from the amazing final twenty minutes of the film, what I loved most about this film are the flashbacks from the past. It made me realize how much the "Harry Potter" series has evolved over the years. If this serial keeps its momentum just a bit more, the "Indiana Jones" films may no longer be my favorite series.
½ June 29, 2011
Did not do the book justice AT ALL. Weakest Harry Potter movie by a pretty long shot, in my opinion.
July 18, 2015
Rating: 96%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix never loses the wit, sense of adventure, and heart that got everyone buzzing about the much-liked Harry Potter franchise.
½ September 2, 2014
88%
Benefiting from being well-scripted and strongly acted by its cast, David Yates brings Rowling's biggest HP installment to the big screen almost flawlessly.
½ July 5, 2015
Order of the Phoenix is the most difficultly filmed of the series because it takes the longest book of the series and tries to make the shortest movie. Which is clearly seen as the film's pacing is uneven as some events happen too fast. But nonetheless, Order of the Phoenix still entertains and keeps up with what we've come to expect from this franchise.
½ July 5, 2015
This movie focused on the darker, brooding side of Harry. This movie shows the beginning of the war that Harry is about to face.
½ July 5, 2015
Wow, what a disappointment.
½ May 17, 2014
Rating-7.5/10

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the fifth instalment of our boy wizards adventures and this time, it's getting even more dark. Yes Harry is back again with his magic world right behind him, well actually that really isn't the case here. With the events that took place in the preceding film, Harry is up against seemingly everyone in this movie, and the angst of some of these teenagers is sky high too. I felt the movie is a good one, It's the kind of movie that after 10 times of watching kind of doesn't come off as well, but still is a very worthy watch.

Harry's year at Hogwarts is full of thrills but also a lot of fun, I didn't feel there was enough fighting of sorts or evenly spaced epic scenes, it is mostly confined to the beginning and the end with the middle being the funnier part. That said the fun parts are pretty funny and characters such as Neville Longbottom yet again step it up with Matthew Lewis becoming a regular feature to the gang. This is the first time I feel that Harry doesn't just need Ron and Hermione, he actually needs a lot of his fellow students and it makes it a much bigger film because of it.

The film doesn't go crazy with new additions, but it does conjure up quite a few. The most impressive and absolutely spot on of these is Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge who's annoying persona and very shall we say, unorthodox methods make for a more intriguing character and a hard one to play but done very well by Staunton. Gary Oldman is back in person for this one and he adds to the wealth of the cast, this is the biggest when it comes to showing off British acting talent and really shows it off in a bright light for all to see.

Now David Yates is brought in for this one and although I do think he does OK, I didn't think it was good enough. Now don't get me wrong I know a lot of people like him directing this but his ways are too obvious, the ways in which he makes some of the characters move or talk just seems fake, all in all though he is pretty good though. With Order of the Phoenix being such a huge book, it is a surprise that this is so short compared to what fans expected, but it works in it's favour, it tries not to dwell on certain parts too long and the sustained parts of talking would not have been good made even longer.

I enjoyed the effects used in this movie, the massive scenes are there and the epic scale of the movie and it's budget are plain to see, but it doesn't go over the top with special effects in the middle, creating a kind of movie that doesn't feel well, not real. Nicolas Hooper makes a nice score, it works well because it doesn't contain those sweet snippets of song so often seen in the first movies but doesn't go all dark on us either, he balances it nicely so that the scenes move nicely with the music and long periods of just the score can work well too.

I think Order of the Phoenix is not one of the best Harry Potter's, but does continue it's trend of just being consistent, may not make the book fans the happiest bunch with the amounts cut out, but this film is still as a movie, a fine entry into the franchise. Would recommend it to anyone, definitely one that even though is pretty dark stuff, can still be enjoyed by the whole family and importantly, even the little kids too.
May 28, 2007
Solid contribution to the series although admittedly one of the weaker links. There was so much plot to cover that a lot of it didn't feel like it had proper time devoted. David Yates certainly bit off a lot with his first attempt at the series.
June 20, 2007
OH LORD DO I WANT TO SEE IT!
June 3, 2015
I thought, it has a more serious tone, yet I still find it very magical and attractive, same as the sequels. To sum it up, Harry Potter was suspected by the ministry of his inconsiderable acts and summoned him to be expelled from Hogwarts. As Dumbledore saved Potter from all of this. Fudge and the ministry still doesn't believe that the dark lord Valdemort had came back. They made strict implementations to Hogwarts and send Mrs. Umbridge, and she later on, became a Headmaster. I do like the story, but I think this is a weak entry in the franchise. Maybe it lacks the adventure, that made us dazzled or, it lacks the magic touch. And for the fans of the books, I think they already see this coming. Is it me or that one fight scene reminds me of an infamous Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader from Star Wars A New Hope. Anyways it is still cool. No doubt, any Harry Potter films have very good qualities in terms of everything. It's just, there are none that I can recall a scene that really amazed me. As of now, "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" still tops from the prequels. 4/5
June 2, 2015
"You are a fool, Harry Potter, and you will lose everything."

Order of the Phoenix spawned the darkest film of the series yet but still proved captivating and entertaining til the last second. The franchise only keeps getting better, along with the talent of its cast and crew.
½ June 4, 2007
One of the best of the series. This one did feel condensed (which is ironic b/c the longest book so far is the shortest film in the series), but I would hate to have to condense 870 pages into 2 hours. Seeing this story on the screen moves you in ways the book can't. Luna was adorable and I loathed Umbridge more than ever. I was disappointed they left out a crucial scene during Snape's flashback, as well as who unleashed the Dementors on Harry, but this is my favorite book w/ Half-blood Prince in a very close second, and I truly enjoyed this film. The score was superb and the filmmaking was simply top notch. Bravo!
½ June 1, 2015
One of the weakest in the series, but still doing well. Voldemort is back, the minister of magic doesn't believe it, and Rupert Grint makes a content and determined face.
Daniel Mumby
January 4, 2015
In my previous Harry Potter review, I talked about the challenges the film franchise faced when the books began to grow in size. The continuing success of the series, both on the page and on the screen, put pressure on the directors, producers and writers to include as much of the source material as possible to keep the fans happy. While none of the directors after Chris Columbus have been quite so literal-minded in this regard as he was, the desire for fidelity is still present in different ways.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is the beginning of what could be called the long, slow consolidation of the franchise. The first of ultimately four efforts to be helmed by David Yates, it approaches the material with neither the need nor the willingness to prove itself, seemingly confident that fans will know enough about the basics at this point that more new stuff can be crammed in. But while the film has a lot of promising or interesting aspects, it is in the final analysis more episodic and less satisfying than its two predecessors, and may be the weakest film in the series since Chamber of Secrets.

It's very easy to lay the blame for this squarely at the feet of the director. Yates was and is primarily a TV director, having made his name on acclaimed series like State of Play and TV films like The Girl in the Cafe. His only previous theatrical offering, The Tichborne Claimant, was notable for its cast but not for its plot or execution. It would be very simple to assume that Yates simply has an episodic mindset, and is, through his training and sensibility, less capable of long-form, cinematic storytelling than Mike Newell or Alfonso Cuarón.

Whatever truth may be in these statements, however, they are not by any means the whole truth. An equally bigger problem lies in the fact that the series doesn't feel the need to justify each instalment on its own terms anymore. Up until Goblet of Fire, the future of the series felt up in the air just enough to keep everyone on their toes: Newell's film and Prisoner of Azkaban went the extra mile to prove that they were necessary additions to the canos. By the time Order of the Phoenix came to be made, the Harry Potter fandom had developed to such an extent that there was no longer any need for such healthy self-doubt. While the films don't treat the viewers' intelligence with outright contempt, there is still an underlying unwillingness to bring new people on board, even at such a late stage.

There are a lot of things about Order of the Phoenix which are appealing, and any one of them could have the capstone for a film in its own right. There is the tyrannical rule of Delores Umbridge, who descends onto Hogwarts like a terrifying cross between Margaret Thatcher, Mary Whitehouse and Michael Gove. There is the Order of the title, with more details coming forward about Sirius Black and the Malfoys. And there is the overriding conspiracy of denial surrounding Voldemort's return, following the events of the last film.

Order of the Phoenix is significant within the series for being the only film not to be scripted by Steve Kloves. Michael Goldenberg, who wrote Contact and the live-action version of Peter Pan, was brought in to replace Kloves after the latter claimed to be physically and mentally exhausted. Kloves' scripts may never have been perfect, falling into several predictable rhythms, but it's probable that he could have marshalled these different and divergent threads into something more coherently satisfying.

For most of its running time, Order of the Phoenix concerns itself with the first plotline, focussing on Umbridge taking over Hogwarts and inflicting her pink plague upon the students. Imelda Staunton does a really great job getting across all Umbridge's quirks, showing all that latent rage and frustration burning away under the forced smile of quiet, English passive aggression. Her characterisation of Umbridge as a spineless, narrow-minded, pencil-pushing moral crusader is a breath of fresh air compared to the other teachers of Defence Against the Dark Arts, who have by and large been pale, skulking and slippery types, whose physicalisation so often shows their hand too early.

Just as Goblet of Fire did a good job of creating tension through infighting between Harry and his friends, so this film manages to unsettle our feelings of safety by removing all aspects of Hogwarts we have learnt to take for granted. In the previous films, there was always a sense that no matter how bad things got, two things were certain: Dumbledore would be around to help, and Harry wouldsave the day. In Order of the Phoenix both are called into question early on, leaving us uncertain and ever mindful of the gathering evil of Voldemort.

By referring back to the denial of Voldemort by those in authority, Yates introduces a theme of the corruption of the wizarding authority, upon which he expands in the later films. Much like the Time Lords in classic Doctor Who, the Ministry of Magic started out as a seemingly benign and benevolent organisation, but is increasingly portrayed as hubristic, all-controlling and, in the Ministry's case, driven as much by fear as Voldemort ultimately is. Umbridge's reign is the first hint we get of the Nineteen Eighty-Four-inflected view of the wizarding world, removing another crumb of comfort from the audience for our own good.

Further effort is also made to weaken Harry as a reliable protagonist, in this case by his battles with Snape as the latter tries to train his mind against the Dark Lord's influence. Daniel Radcliffe's performance in these scenes demonstrates how far he has matured over the course of the series: he may be playing an easily-angered adolescent, but it's a controlled performance and he responds to Alan Rickman quite superbly. Rickman, naturally, gives as good as he gets, but his best is reserved for his brief, taciturn exchanges with Umbridge.

All of this sounds promising - but there's a problem. Because the book is so big, Yates is never able to develop any of these strands to an entirely satisfying degree, and as a result the whole thing begins to feel inconsequential. Even with all the cuts that he and Goldenberg made before filming had even started, the film still feels like a half-told collection of bits which can't entirely stand on their own. Supporting characters feel increasingly like stations we pass through on a long train journey, and by this point the feeling is not one of intrigue at where we are, but growing frustration at how long it is taking us to get us to our destination.

It may seem churlish to keep comparing Harry Potter to The Lord of the Rings, but here as elsewhere it is a meaningful comparison. Much of the (unwarranted) criticism of The Two Towers focussed on the idea that the film couldn't be taken on its own, with critics (wrongly) claiming that it didn't have a meaningful beginning and end. Order of the Phoenix suffers from the same problem; if you had never seen the first four films, too little of it would make sense for you to enjoy it as a stand-alone. And because so little effort is made to let the casual viewer in, the majority of what happens just washes over you in an unmemorable way.

There are other big problems with Order of the Phoenix outside of its structural integrity. There are internal issues too, relating to the storytelling, the pacing and the integration of the action. Despite being the shortest film in the series, at 138 minutes, the film still feels drawn out in places, with Yates taking a long time to cover aspects which could just as adequately be explained in half the time. The Order itself feels underdeveloped as a concept, with Yates giving more time to more visually memorable but relatively frivolous concepts, such as the Room of Requirement - which is, for the record, both unoriginal (the TARDIS) and lazy to the point of utter desperation.

The big issue with both the drama and the set-pieces is one of emphasis. While he has some credentials in drama, Yates does not do set-pieces very well, the result being that all the fights which should feel weighty instead feel distracted and unfocussed. The final battle between the Order and the Death-Eaters feels empty and perfunctory, with Yates' camera chasing after the action rather than shaping it. The result is that Sirius Black's death carries no meaning at all, which is a huge shame given Gary Oldman's hard work to make him compelling in Prisoner of Azkaban. The same goes for Voldemort's duel with Dumbledore in the Ministry of Magic: we get a three-minute parade of unremarkable special effects, and then it's back to normal as if nothing ever happened.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is a middling instalment in the franchise which contains potential but lacks focus in its execution. Its interesting ideas and the moments in which it does come together ultimately redeem it, as least as a passing diversion, but it is the least essential Harry Potter film since Chamber of Secrets. In the end, it's a mild disappointment, being not being bad enough to put you off, but leaving you with some serious concerns going forward.
½ May 27, 2015
Definitely my least favorite of the franchise. It just feels the most perfunctory of it all. It's missing something. The special effects are still tremendous and Imelda Staunton is great as the villainous Professor Umbridge, but the screenplay gets a little messy and the magic isn't as memorable as it is in the other films.
November 12, 2011
Longest book of the series but shortest of the film series. Order of the Phoenix is ok. Great spells and action David Yates provides another beautifully shot movie. It has its dark and funny moments with D.A. Still another entertaining enough installment.
½ May 21, 2015
David Yates was a great choice to direct the rest of the Potter films, and it shows well.
May 15, 2015
While it is the weakest film of the series, it still keeps to the feel of the source material and contains that amazing visually stunning sequence at the end- an amazing climax indeed.