Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban Reviews

½ September 17, 2011
With Alfonso Cuaron's masterful direction and its deeper; darker tone, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is one of the most ambitious of the potter franchise!
½ July 28, 2015
The increased budget over the first two films is noticeable. The grounds of Hogwarts have increased in detail and splendor, and our heroes have traded in their wizardly robes for a collection by Gap Kids. But more significantly, the direction has immensely improved with Cuarón at the reigns. As a result, I actually cared about a few of the characters. That was indeed a pleasant surprise.
July 27, 2015
Darker but just as compelling as the earlier installments.
½ March 7, 2012
This is the one critics loved but many fans hated. It's my favorite of the series though.
July 18, 2015
Rating: 97%
Outstanding visuals, much-improved acting, and an interesting plot will keep viewers hooked on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
½ September 2, 2014
89%
In "Prisoner of Azkaban," director Alfonso Cuaron does away with the colorful aesthetic of the first two films, and in the process crafts a more compressed, well-acted addition to the series.
July 5, 2015
A great addition to the franchise. This movie is by far one of the best of the series.
½ June 29, 2015
With Alfonso Cuaron on helm now, Prisoner of Azkaban becomes suitably moodier and much scarier. A lot of scenes and moments seem more like a horror movie than the family fantasy it is. Nonetheless, The third installment finds perfect balance between those moments to put the series on high ground.
June 20, 2015
A visually stunning adaptation but a lot further from the books compared to the other ones in the series. Even so, any Harry Potter movie is still more magical than most others.
May 28, 2007
Cinematic perfection. Cuaron may have violated a few HP universe laws, but the movie was outstanding both as a stand-alone achievement and as a contribution to the series.
May 3, 2014
Rating-8/10

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is the third instalment of the hugely popular Harry Potter series of adapted films, and what an important one this is. This is a step up not only from the first two in the franchise, but when looking at the series as a whole, this stands as one of the very best. Technically it's beautiful, directed with an air of class and looks sinister yet underneath holds a loving and philosophical tone.

This is the kind of movie that many film series just never have, one that stands out and is remembered at times as one with a slightly quirky edge to it. The whole story centres around the escape of convict Sirius Black and basically how frightened all the wizards are because of it, but that's not all this is about. Not including the Quidditch and of course magical lessons, this also contains a kind of heartbreaking story that connects with the main plot to make this an emotional ride, and one that may at times have some reaching for the tissues.

Radcliffe and co return better than before, now they aren't quite top quality yet but there are signs here of what is truly to come in future careers. The addition of David Thewlis makes the teaching staff look even better at acting, Alan Rickman as the ever miserable Snape has still got it and cast members such as Robbie Coltrane(Hagrid) make's a much more emotional display. The producers(among them Christopher Columbus who directed the first two) create a cast that is imaginative yet also strangely dark, creating a lovely fresh new look for the movie's.

This film cannot be reviewed without mentioning the absolutely magnificent technical achievements coursing though this piece. The cinematography is just amazingly fine, in fact watching this for the camera shots, it is beautiful and the fun ways in which it works makes it stand out to us the viewer too, all credit to Michael Seresin. The sets are well made too, dark yes but it makes this look all together much different from the first two movies, less for the children and more for the growing teenager.

Alfonso Cuaron is the real mastermind behind this movie, directing it in a way I don't think anyone could have imagined. He makes it as previously mentioned quirky, and he lets the more serious scenes run their course, letting the comedy also have it's time in the limelight. Cuaron makes this just generally new looking, you'd struggle to find a fantasy film so serious yet so as if it were made to be overly crazy.

Is it unique, well yes, is it smart well yes I suppose it is but the main point is emotion, now without ruining the ending it could be said emotions run high(without me saying if they're happy or sad). Harry deals with a lot in the movie, and this Harry Potter as well who lets face it, deals with an over abundance of crazy hijinks on a seemingly daily basis, or maybe that could a yearly basis actually.

So overall a new take on a fantasy series that always brings something new to the frontier of movie making, it's a very good piece and one I am sure that will live on in the minds of movie fans and of course Potter fans, for many many years.
½ September 8, 2012
Another great addition to the Potter franchise. Alfonso Cuarón directs this film really well and he shows that he is a really versatile director. Everybody does great in their roles again including newcomers Michael Gambon as the new Albus Dumbledore and Gary Oldman as Sirius Black. The story here is original and engrossing from start to finish and there are surprises to go along with the film to keep you on the edge of your toes. The storytelling and wizardry is once again excellent as always in this Harry Potter film and it doesn't disappoint on those fronts at all. The character development is actually here and you get to learn more and more backstory on the characters while also having them go through more interesting conflicts. I do like this film a lot more than I did before and in my opinion, it is on par with the other two predecessors which I think are really underrated and really well directed films despite most people saying that the first two are the worst in the franchise.
½ November 4, 2011
Easily the best Potter film.
½ June 3, 2015
From the opening scenes, it is already breathtaking. I tended to forget already the prequels on this one. This is edgy and has more style. And I freaking love it. I can say, this is much more better. The story is all about the introduction of Sirius Black and his involvement with Harry Potter and Prof. Lupin. There is this one scene that really amazed me, that time travel scene is epic. Very well made, and I just noticed, this was directed by Mr. Alfonso Cuaron, just one of my favorite filmmakers of all time. He just made this franchise much more exciting, and more fun than the first two. The camera shots to those awesome and breathtaking landscape views are just fantastic. From that alone, it is already magical. Definitely a must see. 4.5/5
July 9, 2007
I like this movie, but I think it's overrated.
June 1, 2015
Stands out from most of the others in the series. An escaped prisoner comes after Harry, there's another new defense against the dark arts teacher, and yet again Ruper Grint makes some interesting faces.
December 7, 2010
Propelled to its highest form yet, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban showcases the best cinemtography, acting, and story in a Potter film. Alfonso Cuaron creates a beautiful environment that may as well be the best filmed Potter movie ever.
½ May 27, 2015
Alfonso Cuarón gives the Harry Potter franchise an entirely new look and it's awesome!
½ November 12, 2011
New director Alfonso Cuaron revamps the Harry Potter franchise with Prisoner of Azkaban. The series is now getting darker. New challenges and the trio really step up their acting after this installment. A fun turn of events and story, Prisoner of Azkaban should not disappoint.
May 21, 2015
Darker than the first two, Prisoner of Azkaban loses some of the magic that the first two films had, but it is still another great addition to the franchise.