91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Harsh Times Reviews

gsam1
July 18, 2012
Excellent movie - fine acting, gritty with a top, well placed cast - majorly underrated, hugely topical with reference to sufferers of war & violence, Bale and Rodriguez a natural pair.
May 5, 2014
War creates monsters. When we support war we destroy the humanity in our soldiers as well as their victims. Good movie. Somehow all the reviewers missed the main point of the movie.
March 17, 2014
Gritty, sad, and violent, Harsh Times is an extremely personal tale of the director's that is often unpredictable and very well-acted. The gangbangers trying to get out of the dumps is not an original idea, but the way the actor's portray their characters and the situations they're in is always engaging. Christian Bale was an inspired choice to play a street-talking low-life, but he rarely disappoints when having to play intense. It can be a bit grating hearing the cussing and slang talk, but the film surprised me on multiple occasions, and that's always excellent in my book!
May 20, 2011
An American Nikita. Bale is by far the best actor in movies right now. This movie got no love. It is one of the best ever made.
339z
November 5, 2006
wow,......stunnning.....brilliant......i have just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a great movie 2 watch......its got a good cast of actors/actressess thorughout this movie......i think that christian bale, freddy rodriguez (from the brilliant tv series 6 feet under), eva longoria, terry crews (from the brilliant tv series the newsroom), noel guglielmi, .J.K. Simmons, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......i think that the director of this drama/action/adventure movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect thorughout this movie.......IN SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE.....i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch.......i think that jk simmons was brilliant throughout this movie......i think that christian bale was superb throughout this movie as jim the war veteran thorughout this movie......its got good car chases throughout this movie.....its got good fight scenes thorughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......its got good gun shoot outs throughout this movie......i think that the ending of this movie is so really really sad to watch.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch.....i think that eva longoria was great as the love interest throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch......its got a good cast throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch as the ending is really sad thorughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch......i think that christian bale was superb throughout this movie as the war veteran throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really sad movie 2 watch......its got good fight scenes thorughout this movie......its got good gun shoot outs thorughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch i think that this is a great movie 2 watch with a good cast throughout this movie......
February 16, 2014
Harsh Times was a pretty heavy film to watch because you constantly felt that things were going to get worse and worse from the very beginning. There was a constant raise of tension that was very well kept through the performances and the editing. I have to give them credit for that. The film was completely character driven and I liked that. It spent time where it should and didn't deter into things that were not relevant. Our two leads, Bale and Rodriguez really worked well together. I felt that they were genuine friends.
All in all the best part of the film for me was seeing Christian Bale give another really exciting performance. He did a great job in this film. He can truly be diversified. Very impressive.
December 6, 2013
Pour sa premiere realisation, David Ayer se retrouve a la tete d'une semi-autobiographie sur un veteran d'Irak qui souffre de stress post-traumatiques. Non seulement le script manie parfaitement l'humour noir et la vraie emotion, mais David Ayer montre egalement qu'il est un tres bon metteur en scene. De plus, Christian Bale est absolument fabuleux dans le role principal, tandis que le supporting cast fait le boulot (avec mention speciale pour Terry Crews, Chaka Forman et Kenneth Choi).
Anthony L

September 24, 2013
I didn't see any Harsh Times, all I saw was stupid decisions. The serious issue of post-traumatic stress is insensitively handled and the characters are generally hateful. I'm not sure what the film was trying to say or what the film makers were trying to achieve but I'm pretty sure they didn't succeed. The acting improved vastly towards the end of the film but the conclusion, just like the rest of the film, was pretty damn awful.
August 31, 2013
A decent film about Christian Bale being an asshole and being unable to cope with it. A running trend I find in David Ayer's writing is his lack of theming, and his skill in writing characters that feel raw, gritty, and real. Just like in "End of Watch", Ayer creates intense and real characters (maybe not even their characters, but the way their relationship builds). The only real problems are that there is no real point outside of creating shock and drama, and that Christian Bale may be a little too overbearing sometimes. This is such a problem because Bale simply doesn't sell the character most times with his half-baked face. And the film doesn't leave you much outside of, "The character can't cope with his problems." There is no real solution outside of shooting him in the fucking face. There are definitely "things" in the movie, but it's all set-up with no pay-off. I haven't seen Training Day yet, it'd be great to see Ayer step-up his game and create something compelling. He's definitely got the talent.

Now this may be a bit controversial, but I honestly think that a large part of the problem comes from the fact that these characters aren't Woody Allen beta-male bullshit characters. You know the ones I'm talking about, the guys who's unsure of himself and is super awkward and is constantly being picked on by some bully-jock character, yeah. I know. Guess what, this movie is a look into that Jock asshole's life. Look, that complicated, pansy Woody Allen type of male protagonist is OK, but dear God does it plague so many Hollywood movies nowadays. There NEEDS to be movies about the guy who's confident in his ideals, whose challenges aren't birthed from him being awkward or unappealing. It adds so much more interest and complexity than the guy from "Play it Again, Sam". But hey, just my two cents. Not every meathead you meet is simple.
August 9, 2013
THIS SHIT IS GANGSTA
August 5, 2013
[2013-8-5] Fist half is awesome but...
May 29, 2013
A young screwed up war veteran trying to find his footing in the screwed up community of LA screwed up. He also screwed up his best friend. Christian Bale, like in American psycho turned on his American accent with ease, is the only reason to watch this film.
May 28, 2013
A screwed up war veteran screwing up not just his own life but also his beat friend's. CB proved once again he can turn on his American accent like reciting his abc when he wants to.
March 31, 2013
I liked it. Tough and true.
March 31, 2013
The dudes look yummy
March 29, 2013
Muito Engrašado,Violento,Sexo E Possui Uma Mensagem Interessante
February 10, 2013
Christian Bale is perfect in his role, considering the film is in the wrong time frame.
June 19, 2007
Predictable and quite boring. Feel i wasted my time with this film, started to switch off half way through.
January 24, 2013
Sad....But True........ It reminded me of my past...I'm so glad I am where I am now!!! For what it is..It's a good movie!
January 2, 2013
Harsh Times was a waste of my time....man's movie to much bad language.