Hart's War Reviews

October 20, 2010
Hart's War is a very interesting and intriguing Thriller set during the Second World in a POW camp. Hart's War may not be a perfect film, but it dies manage to keep you entertained throughout. Helmed by director Gregory Hoblit, who is a very underrated and talented director, Hart's War is a well acted film with a good enough story. Many reviewers complain that it's a courtroom drama, well no shit, it is in a way. Theres nothing wrong with that, and I found the second half of this film to be quite good. Obviously Hart's War is not a perfect film, theres way too many flaws to count, but the way I see it, is it's an entertaining dramatic thriller with typical Hollywood elements to make the film more appealing to a wider audience. This film is not meant to be realistic in any way, it's just pure entertainment. Simple as that. The film boasts a decent cast of actors, and along with Phone Booth, this is Colin Farrell's best film, I'm not really a fan of his work, but in these two films he's very good. Overall, Hart's War is a pretty good dramatic Thriller, it may try to be too dramatic at times, but it's still a pretty good film worth watching. One of more interesting aspects of this film the numerous twists that unfold throughout, I found them quite thrilling, and you never get an idea of what really is going on till the very end. Before dismissing this film, give it a shot; for me it's a strong 6 out of 10. The actors playing the characters are well suited and just with the idea in mind that a "law student is assigned to defend a black prisoner accused of murder" should give the potential viewer a heads up that this will venture into courtroom drama territory. It's not the best film setting, granted, but it's certainly not the worst. A good enough film to watch on a rainy day.
January 5, 2008
I really don't know, where to place 'Hart's War'. The film starts as a normal POW (prisoner of war) movie, but when the second half begins, it turns into a courtroom drama.

Gregory Hoblit, the director of 'Hart's War', has had somewhat of a rollercoaster type of career. After a good movie, he gives us a poor one. He started his feature film career with the excellent 'Primal Fear', then came 'Fallen'. After these came ''Frequency', 'Hart's War', 'Fracture' and then 'Untraceable'. See what I mean? Almost came queasy...

'Hart's War' does have some good scenes but in overall, the film is very uneven. The characters have almost zero depth in 'em. The film also tries to deal with racism but the whole issue was in the end buried beneath the screenwriters unimaginative end twist.

Colin Farrell and Marcel Lures give nice performances but the rest of the cast seem to enjoy a nice holiday in a POW camp type of holiday resort. If I were a POW, I'd like to spend some time in a camp where the prisoners have their own theatre and leisure rooms. Pretty far fetched?

'Hart's War', you'll love it or hate it. Or get bored as I did. For fans of Farrell and Willis only. Those who seek for something better, try a classic like 'Stalag 17'.
January 25, 2007
pretty decent war time film mixed with court room drama
½ January 12, 2008
A stunning and nail-biting suspense-drama. Gripping, riveting and captivating. Bruce Willis is teriffic. Colin Farrel is fantastic. Terrence Howard is excellent.
½ February 16, 2007
A little boring for me.
½ February 4, 2013
Hart's War is a brilliantly crafted World War II drama that's thrilling and powerful. The film follows the story of a German stalag where the American POWs hold a court-martial after there's a murder of a fellow soldier; however, during the course of events defense council Lt. Hart starts to suspect that there's more going on than a simple trail and that there's a great game being played between the German commander and the American POW leader. The cast is led by Bruce Willis, Colin Ferrell, and Terrence Howard, who all give strong performances. Additionally, the directing is especially good, particularly in creating intense and suspenseful scenes that are enthralling. Composer Rachel Portman also provides a moving and powerful score. Compelling and thought-provoking, Hart's War examines the character of men in the most trying of times.
September 9, 2010
Best WWII prison movie since "The Great Escape"
February 22, 2012
Full Review Coming Soon!
½ September 30, 2009
It was great, until, the second half. That half killed all of the first half's goodness.
January 24, 2011
A great surprise.
November 1, 2007
Mixes The Great Escape with To Kill A Mockingbird, completely fails to be in any way gripping or engaging and ends up a generic war movie that is easily, and best, forgotten. Nicht gut!
½ July 9, 2007
I like Bruce Willis...What can I say.
½ March 6, 2012
It was an ok movie, and i think the end was the right way to end the movie, all though i dont feel that it was very realistic.
April 29, 2007
Interesting twist to the standard World War II POW fare which instead cleverly showcases the racial card as a ploy to the real objective of the film which is not revealed until the final reel. Bruce Willis does play a "so-called" hero but not how we "General"ly think when comparing this to his standard fanfare surrounding his more familiar action material.
½ July 22, 2011
An outstanding movie with a well rounded cast. It was absolutley splendid and I can't wait to read the book to this great movie. Bruce Willis at his all time best, and Colin Farrell adds to another great performance to his resume.
December 9, 2008
Good acting with an interesting subplot,could have used a little more action but still overall good movie.
½ April 17, 2009
This was yet another of the free movies I got when I bought a blu-ray player. I had never even heard of it before. Anyone who knows me knows I like law stuff. This story, even if it didn't quite make it was a good idea. The script writing was sub-par. The direction was pretty good. And last, Bruce Willis and Colin Farrell did a solid job acting, but even though the lines for Terrence Howard were limited he did a great job. Overall, if you like a war movie or a law story, this will be time well spent. Just don't come in expecting a regular war movie.
½ August 8, 2009
(2002 Director: Gregory Hobitt) Marcel Lures co-stars as the German Stalag prison camp leader. Tense war drama with Bruce Willis starring as the highest ranking U.S.officer in German prison camp. Lures is perhaps more human because he attended Yale, I'm not sure. Terence Howard & another soldier, Lietenant ______ ( ) transfer into WIllis' detention rather soon after Colin Farrell's arrival.
August 10, 2007
Not a bad movie even if it is a bit badly edited. Colin Farrell does a great job in this film and I really enjoyed it.
April 6, 2009
I just recently found this movie laying around in my movie collection and decided to watch it and I have to say I didnt think I would enjoy it but I did. I hate Colin Farrell but couldnt deny that he gave a good performance. Bruce Willis was brilliant in this film and always enjoy watching Bruce Willis do his thing.Marcel Iures was also brilliant as Visser and found myself watching him a lot of the time steal the scene from Farrell and Willis in the private meetings the characters had. But out of all the people in this movie I found myself suprised to say that Terrence Howard absolutly stole the show from everyone else including Bruce Willis. I enjoyed this film and I am glad I found it laying around.