Hatari! Reviews

½ March 2, 2015
The more he likes you, the meaner he acts.

A group of men led by Sean Mercer live in Africa and catch wildlife for zoos and the circus. A beautiful wildlife reporter named Anna arrives and starts talking to the men about their ways. Will she leave an everlasting footprint on their operations or will business continue as usual?

"I had a bath with a cheetah and three men."

Howard Hawks, director of His Girl Friday, The Big Sleep, Rio Bravo, Bringing Up Baby, I was a Male War Bride, Monkey Business, and The Road to Glory, delivers Hatari. The storyline for this picture is just okay but contains an interesting love story. I did enjoy the characters and animals and the acting was better than average. The cast includes John Wayne, Elsa Martinelli, Hardy Kruger, Red Buttons, Bruce Cabot, and Eduard Franz.

"How do you like to kiss?"

I grabbed this off Netflix because I thought it would be interesting to see Wayne in this setting. This was a very average picture that could have been better but was fun for what it was, Overall, this isn't a classic and I would only watch it if you're a fan of Wayne.

"I think you like slow better."

Grade: C
January 18, 2015
Uno de los mejores films de aventuras.
October 26, 2014
a fun but bloated animal hijinks, screwball
August 27, 2011
Never was white man's rape and pillage of Africa told in a more joyfull manner. A very dated affair now, this movie is more of a historic document about western attitudes to Africa, animals, conservation, women, black people, international relations, nature in general, humour and many other concepts now radically different. Also some great moments about older men suddenly realising that the teenage girl they had living in their house now all of a sudden is a young woman and therefore immediately suitable for chasing round.

Despite all of this the cruel hunting scenes have a strange drawing power and the funny people with their funny attitudes are still quite interesting and there is a strange attraction to their lifestyle although you wouldn;t want to be the white Bwana yourself, getting the primitives to pillage their land for you in exchange for a few boxes of cigarettes. Howard Hawks was a great filmmaker and the action scenes show this really well, but it's all from a bygone era.
November 29, 2013
One of my favorites for the music and live animal scenes.
September 12, 2013
watching Hatari now- I like
September 4, 2013
A fantastic adventure movie. The whole movie was great. The acting, the locations and the everything. John Wayne is definitely my favorite character besides the elephants. Such an awesome film.
June 16, 2013
I wonder why this movie isn't more popular than it is. It stars John Wayne, it's directed by Howard Hawks, one of the greats and it features an unforgettable score by Henry Mancini which includes the piece "Baby Elephant Walk" which is way more popular than this film. Add to that the fact that it's really a fun, delightful and superbly crafted film. It's about a group of men and women who make their living capturing wild African animals for zoos. Sure, it's vaguely politically incorrect (but a lot of films of this era are, though) and the animal capturing sequences may upset PeTA supporters but it still doesn't change the fact that those sequences are quite impressively shot (because they're REAL, no CGI here!) and just as rousing and exciting (and in many cases even MORE exciting) than any modern era action sequences. Oh, and it's also really, really funny! It's very light and breezy and more character than plot-driven. It's something that they hardly make any more. It's a wonderful, wonderful film. I like "Baby Elephant Walk" a whole lot more now.
January 7, 2013
Un film como Hatari¡, ya no se hace actualmente, si, será un película de aventuras, pero es la de antaño: Humilde e Inocente; Desde casí el principio de la película te das cuenta que los personajes, no van a tener retos grandes, ni muchas dificultades (Tal vez al atrapar animales, para venderlos al Zológico). Habiendo dicho esto el film apuesta por la aventura; refrescante, divertida y emocionante (Las persecuciones de los animales con los autos son excelentemente rodadas y planificadas), las actuaciones son muy naturales y fluidas; se ve que la estaban pasando muy bien(John Wayne esta muy divertido). En fin, una película aventurera y divertida, posiblemente dura un poco mas de lo que debería, ya que la historia es sencilla, que duran 160 minutos, puede ser un poco exagerado, aun así es una gozosa y divertida aventura, que hara sacar un sonrisa (O varias)
December 14, 2011
really great movie. another example of the diversity of john wayne.
½ October 7, 2012
good non western john wayne
August 26, 2012
It's John Wayne in Africa with a bunch of wild animals. Couldnt ask for more.
July 23, 2012
This is a terrible John Wayne film. It has a stupid love story, Way too Long at 2 1/2 hours and almost Zero Plot. It was probably neat to see the African Landscape in1962. I love John Wayne films, but not this piece of elephant dung!
½ July 5, 2012
HATARI! is a much warmer film than it is funny, in fact, as a comedy, its gags are quite feeble. Set in a dramatic landscape in Africa, there is not a lot of drama, and everybody, even the animals, are mild and cooperative. It's astonishing how the film managed to have no blood or killing at all, and that makes the film a fable like experience - boy falls in love with girl, surrounded by friendly and welcoming animals. This, and the fact that there is no villain or villainy at all throughout the film, and the fact that everybody loves one another, and that "love" is strictly retrained the pure and simple platonic sense, all contributed to its likeableness. About the only flaw of the film is its pace and its gags, which as I said, are not comic geniuses. But HATARI! is truly a great film from the master Howard Hawks.
November 13, 2009
This is a tough one. All concerns for animal safety and cruelty aside, I enjoyed this colourful adventure film for its fine and hearty performances, tangible off-screen
½ May 13, 2012
John Wayne in all his glory
April 21, 2012
love this one. it's good and funny too..
April 15, 2012
love this one. even my son said it "wasn't bad for an old movie"! (kids!!!!)
½ March 19, 2012
Wow....the shots in this are amazing......this is made in 1962!!!.....Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey pops up in 1968...and John Frankenheimer's Grand Prix pops up in 1966....I mention those two because I was reminded of both a lot whilst watching it... because of the realism....it was quite simply jaw dropping.

Another huge surprise was throughout the film i kept being surprised at how much it reminded me of some of the sequences in Jurassic Park 2....very interesting.

The movie is never ever dull...and very funny / surprising.