The Haunted Mansion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Haunted Mansion Reviews

January 31, 2016
The ride is better than this...
January 14, 2016
I like Eddie Murphy, I honestly think almost every movie he's in is funny. But this one just doesn't seem to match up to par.
October 28, 2015
The perfect encapsulation of Murphy's era of reining it in. Lacks in humor, scares, adventure and originality...it does, however, have plenty of strangely out-of-place shots of people who committed suicide. Even though the story and FX are right out of the great Disney ride it's based on, a 90 minute movie should try harder than a 6 minute theme-park attraction.
½ May 24, 2015
What could have been a creepy, nostalgic visual journey immediately becomes filled with recycled jokes and gags too cheesy for most children.
October 17, 2015
Tiresome and not funny at all. Such a waste of time, could have been a great movie too if it was done properly!
October 5, 2015
This is a good example of a film where the premise is promising, but the outcome doesn't really deliver. It's actually a great kids film, but the only problem is that some scenes may be too scary for kids. Adults, on the other hand, will find the movie pretty unfunny. With Eddie Murphy in the lead role it should be way more laughable, but there's maybe one good chuckle in the whole movie.

Nonetheless, it's intriguing in the sense that it takes place in a mysterious mansion and much of the plot being uncovered when real estate agent, Jim Evers (Murphy), and his family get trapped inside after Evers gets asked to represent the home on the market. Little do they know the mansion owner has his own agenda and secrets to hide.

It's an obvious vehicle for Disney to promote their ride of the same name. Not that we always mind it (e.g. Pirates of the Caribbean) but when a premise is stretched thinly and the film still only comes in at under 90 minutes it's safe to say that they don't have much to work with. And with a ride that has so much potential for a brilliant story, we get stuck with a film that doesn't really live up to expectations.

Although large portions of the film lack any substantial plot development, it's enjoyable to watch the family explore and discover the secrets that the mansion hides. But the information that we get is received in clumps at a time. I won't give anything away, but there is a curse involved in the movie and the details of said curse are highly convoluted and evoke so many questions to the viewer that the film loses a lot of credibility in the process.

But the set pieces are great. The filmmakers do a good job replicating the feel of the ride itself. Children will be awed by the mystery of the whole story and even though they may not understand certain plot details, it will definitely spark their imagination.

With a better script I would love to see Disney try this one again. Not that we can't like 2003's Haunted Mansion for what it is, but it's nowhere near having a "modern classic" status.

Twizard Rating: 64
August 1, 2015
Save some fun special effects, the film is inconsistent in tone and feels literally written by the creative department as opposed to actual writers
½ August 1, 2015
The Haunted Mansion is such a dreadful family feature that it fails to deliver laughs or offer scares
½ September 9, 2011
The spooks within the replicated atmosphere were sporadic with successful effects from the mortals' perspectives but rarely broke the screen, which makes them dull in contrast to the ride as the opportunity to be scary was squandered. However, the faithfulness was attempted with some tries as in to the story, elements and figures and somewhat enlarging the vision in an unbalanced flow, with humor as a bonus. Although inferior to both the ride and its next-door neighbor's more successful turnout, it's at least enjoyable to watch with little satisfaction. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
July 10, 2015
The jokes and the horror are on the viewer.
½ July 3, 2015
This movie has a good amount of acting talent in it, but the result absolutely dreadful. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. As one reviewer put it, it's neither scary nor funny. Which doesn't leave much else. That's about all you need to know. I'll give it 1/2 star for the acapela-singing ghost busts.
June 11, 2015
The Haunted Mansion isn't funny, scary, or enjoyable. It's boringly directed and unbelievably silly how when the family comes to the mansion it takes them half the movie to realize that it's haunted. The plot is unoriginal too. Kids might enjoy it, but I think they'll prefer the ride more.
½ June 5, 2015
Of all the things, here's where I'll nitpick: When the children find a floating glowing ball and they instantly think that "it" wants them to follow it. Yeah, f*$# that float-y ball.
June 21, 2006
Just a flat-out stupid rediculous story. A stupid reason to bring the Disney park ride to the screen.
April 15, 2015
A rather smart Eddie Murphy children's movie that has enough strategy to even keep adults entertained.
½ April 1, 2015
This movie after seeing it recently isn't my favorite. As a kid i loved it but then re-watching it my opinion changed. I thought i would of liked it due to Eddie Murphy but i didn't the acting that the other people did was terrible and not good.
June 14, 2012
It's a kids film not a very good one. However, it has some fun moments.
½ October 20, 2012
While not the best interpretation of a cherished attraction like Pirates of the Caribbean, The Haunted Mansion does capture the charm and spirit of one of my favorite Magic Kingdom attractions
½ March 14, 2015
Rather enjoyable movie with some creepy moments and laugh out loud funny moments. Don't understand why everyone hates this movie. It's rather well made and well acted by Eddie Murphy in an interesting script. Check it out.
January 5, 2015
On sait très bien que c'est compliqué de faire des films d'horreur familiaux. Il n'empêche que Le Manoir Hanté et les 999 Fantômes en est un exemple totalement loupé, n'étant jamais surprenant, hilarant ou même divertissant. En effet, devant la telle vacuité d'un scénario écrit par l'auteur de "Elfe" (pas rien, tout de même), difficile pour Rob Minkoff de faire marcher son imagerie visuelle plutôt réussie et à l'épreuve de la décennie d'ancienneté du film, tant elle est au service de... rien. Eddie Murphy et Terence Stamp passent au travers d'un film qui ne les méritait pas, tandis que les autres font au mieux. Même Mark Mancina loupe son score... Un ratage complet.