68% The Equalizer Sep 26

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Full Circle (The Haunting of Julia) Reviews

sherry9lee
November 22, 2013
We all know that Mia Farrow is a master playing neurotic on the verge to hysterical women, and very convinsingly so. This movie makes no exception.

It's a rather chilling story, about a family who one morning experiences a very traumatic and tragic accident, causing the family's only child's death.
Julia (Mia Farrow), the mother gets so grief- strucken, she gets aquitted for a mental institution for a shorter while.
In an appempt to start a new life from scratch, she separates from her husband and buys an old mansion in London, to get on her feet again. She befriends some neighbours, and one of them who claims to be psychic, warns Julia about the house.
During a seance one evening, the neighbour cracks and screams about a mutilated child's body covered in blood.
Strange "accidents" soon seem to happen to eveyone in Julia's small circuit of friends and acquaintances.
Julia is determined to find out who the murdered boy, her neighbour was screaming about during the séance, and when she visits the local library some very old aricles are found. It turns out that a little boy was brutally murdered and a janitor was convicted and hung for it, in the 1930s. But only...the murder did not occur in Julia's (haunted) house, but on a playground nearby.
When Julia starts digging in the case she finds out that the truth is more horrendous than anyone could have guessed.

I am a big fan of gothic horror, so naturally I liked this movie who doesn't stand out much in it's genre. Though I can admit the movie has aged a bit, and the scenarios with all those "accidents" seem a bit ridiculous. Despite that, I'm longing for the day they released this forgotten movie on DVD.
The ending was just brilliant!
jjnxn
jjnxn

October 27, 2013
Bland suspenser with Mia again in occult territory.
October 20, 2013
While it begins as more of a melancholic domestic drama about coping with loss, events do take a turn for the mysterious and the supernatural. Granted, the film doesn't present us with anything truly new in this regard, but it's a solid-enough piece of work, all things told. It's well-crafted (albeit with a very 1970s flavor), establishes a palpable and undeniably effective mood, and its patient in the way it slowly moves further and further into creepy territory; that's really just one way of saying some people could find the pace pretty slow, but I think it works fine, particularly because the ending leaves an impression. Mia Farrow - despite being tasked by the script to occasionally deliver some pretty on-the-nose dialogue - is very good, and she nicely sells her character's journey. Thinking about the film, it actually feels like something of a spiritual cousin to the great George C. Scott haunted house film THE CHANGELING, but it's nowhere near as chilling as that one. Still, it's worth a look for fans of "slow burn" ghost stories.
August 31, 2013
A perfect '70's horror flick
sleepykiss
October 20, 2012
"Evil can never die."

A solid ghost story. Mia's acting was amazing, but the audio was so bad it distracted me from the story. Also everyone comments on how the soundtrack was so good, but I found it annoying, actually too loud in some scenes. The ending wasn't surprising either nor was it as good as I expected. Reminds me of DONT LOOK NOW.
Sarah P

October 7, 2012
It starts out in a really disturbing way, but after that, I couldn't really get into it.
August 3, 2012
I disagree with the other review that called this movie "slow" and "confusing". It is a wonderfully atmospheric chiller without nudity or gore. If you pay attention to the dialogue and what is going on throughout the movie (if you leave for 20 minutes and then come back to it, you will miss much as everything in the movie is necessary) , it all comes together. However, if you like slasher flicks, this is definitely not for you.
November 6, 2011
I liked it for the historical value, and I think I could recommend it if you are a horror film buff. It had some foreboding and tension involved, but for the most part, I thought it was slow - and a little confusing. Watch it if you are interested in learning about horror film creation. Otherwise, skip it.
August 16, 2011
This is a classic. If you are not a chicken and you have half a brain, I dare you to watch it.
Christina L B.
April 14, 2011
Not a flawless movie, but excellent in its own reserved way. The house is perfectly grand, the characters sufficiently intriguing, and the musical score so appropriately ominous for an ending that sticks.
ANG3L
January 1, 2010
This is a sleepy Horror .. Its slow paced .. With an eerie Affect.. Its like dancing in a haunted house..
It is a good ghost story .. The music is lasting..
RCMerchant
June 27, 2009
Read Peter Sraubs book instead. Dull.
hatchets2003
March 26, 2009
interesting story, dragged a bit but still had my interest throughout.
aquamarine1614
August 30, 2008
At first, I thought the movie was just slow moving, but the entire movie was like that.

This is definetly not what I would call a horror film, on the creepiness scale, where 10 is disturbingly scary, which you scream A LOT, and 1 being like a movie that isn't a horror film....this gets a two.....the only reason why it wasn't a 1 is because there was a lot of blood, and murder...but it wasn't exactly scary.

I recommend not watching it.
January 3, 2008