19% Transcendence Apr 18

Haywire Reviews

garyX
garyX

January 18, 2012
When a freelance black ops agent is betrayed by her employer she must evade capture by both the police and her erstwhile colleagues whilst tracking down the traitor to exact revenge. The plot to Haywire will never win any awards for originality but Steven Soderbergh's foray into Bourne territory is a nicely taut, no frills exercise in cold war style action that is a million miles from the glitz and bonhomie of the Ocean's franchise. He has clearly been watching the likes of From Russia With Love and Get Carter as the film has a very old school feel, with some bone crunching and brutal fight scenes. The striking but not implausibly beautiful Gina Carano is completely believable in her part as a tough as nails, no-nonsense she-Bond who is a coldly professional hard case who also happens to be a woman. The rest of the quality ensemble cast are also very solid, although I did feel that the unavoidably likeable Ewan McGregor was rather miscast in his part and Tatum appears and disappears again without warning and seemed only to be there as an excuse for some narrative flashbacks. These are relatively minor points though as Haywire is a quality post-Bourne thriller that harks back to Soderbergh's early career as cinematographer to the Coen brothers and is one of his better efforts of late.
Julie B

July 22, 2011
Everyone is in this movie. Seriously. It's a fun ride, with enough twists and turns to keep me guessing.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

January 11, 2012
What a pile of rubbish, it had a very odd pace, with long terrible music to go with the fight scenes that look scripted rather than a realistic look!

It was boring and uninteresting!
c0up
c0up

January 27, 2013
'Haywire'. A stripped down revenge tale with enough of a convoluted plot to carry the action forward. A fine vehicle for Gina Carano's talents.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

January 20, 2013
Steven Soderbergh has always made some stand out films. His career is a mixed bag in terms of creativeness and he can tackle any genre with a terrific flair to make something that is worth seeing. Haywire is yet again a fine film that has a good story, good cast an effective directing to create something unique to watch. The result is a well executed action thriller that is quite different from others in the genre. I thoroughly enjoyed the film, and though it had weak parts in some areas, there was enough good material to make it a worthwhile film, and one that delivers a fun and entertaining viewing experience. Soderbergh has made far better films throughout his career, but Haywire still has that touch to really make it engaging from the first frame onwards. Director Soderbergh assembles a very good cast of talented actors that are terrific in their respective roles. There's enough good material at hand for the actors to really give it a run for their money, and they just deliver something that is fun and entertaining for the viewer. Sure, the film has its flaws, but overall, it manages to outdo its weaknesses by keeping the thrills going on-screen, and in turn, you're never bored and are always on the edge of your seat. This is still a well directed picture and you can tell that it had that Soderbergh feel to it. Haywire is not the best film of his career, but it still manages to a film worth seeing, and overcomes it flaws with a well written script, and a good cast of actors, who make it what it is.
blkbomb
blkbomb

January 10, 2012
Kenneth: Oh, you shouldn't think of her as being a woman. No, that would be a mistake.†

"They left her no choice."

I'll watch anything made by Soderbergh even if it's a movie that I know isn't going to be as good as it should. Haywire is another movie that Soderbergh made for himself, and it kind of reminds me of The Good German. Both movies are extremely well shot and stylish, but there just isn't the story to back it up.†There's a good cast involved here in the background and I actually did like Gina Carano in the lead. She looked the part and she definitely delivered with the fight scenes. If you don't know, Gina Carano is an MMA fighter and this was her first time acting ever. She's a gorgeous girl, but also a powerful one.

The movie moved well and was entertaining, but I would have liked a little better structure and more involvement in the plot. It seemed dull at times when it really shouldn't have. I still liked the movie and would recommend it to fans of Soderbergh, but this isn't the best we've seen from him.†

Overall watch this for Carano and because Soderbergh knows how to shoot a movie. It isn't going to be the most exciting or thrilling movie you've seen, but it shouldn't totally be dismissed either. When it comes to Soderbergh, this isn't up to standards with say Oceans 11, Traffic, or even Bubble, but it's still Soderbergh and that's enough for me.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 17, 2010
"Action packed with some great girl ass kicking scenes. There is a lot of big names in this flick. I have never heard of the MC though. But I thought Gina Carano was amazing as Mallory Kane. She reminded me of a Angelina Jolie type when it came to the fight scenes. The story was just OK for me. It all could get a bit confusing or boring as to why she's on the run. I thought there could have been more of a story and more of a chase. I like a good chase in revenge thrillers. So just OK for me, but it's getting high ratings so maybe I missed something..."
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

September 18, 2012
Been a long time since I gave a 2000 era spy film a 5 star rating but this one deserves it. The action never stops. Remind me not to get involved with a chick like this. 5 stars 6-12-12
Anthony L

September 17, 2012
Credit due for originality, most action films aren't as intelligent and certainly don't look as good as Haywire. Soderbergh's visuals are second to none, it's just a shame then that he some how manages to make the exciting look ordinary. The action scenes just seemed a bit dull, like I was watching a film of a film. The detachment doesn't end there either as the impressive cast all seem to have been given different ideas on what kind of a film this is with some of them playing it straight action and some playing it tongue-in-cheek. Something is definitely a miss, I'm always up for seeing something new but I really don't think Soderbergh is bringing anything new or of good quality to the genres.
Eugene B

September 5, 2012
Though it's simplistic story may not fully satisfy all audiences. Haywire is a decent portrayal of classic and original action sequences. Soderbergh continues to express his artful direction with the help of MMA vixen Gina Carano and a colorful cast of characters. 4/5
Sam B

June 27, 2012
Overly stylized and unnecessarily convoluted, Haywire is a formula espionage film with a terrible lead actress. However, the excellent supporting cast and well-choreographed action at least partly redeems the film, which is a pretty standard Soderbergh creation.
boxman
boxman

August 1, 2012
Haywire is director Steven Soderbergh's experiment in the field of the action thriller, and it's sparse and arty and pretty boring too. Soderbergh takes another non-actor, this time MMA fighter Gina Carano, and builds a spy thriller around the talents of this imposing fighter. Carano is no actor and her flat line delivery will routinely remind you of her limitations, but man alive does this woman just kick ass. To Soderbergh's credit, the fight scenes occur in longer takes at a safe distance so that we the audience can watch and comprehend. Carano impresses as a physical specimen, both as a fighter and in other ways (she's certainly got movie-star looks). I just wish this had been a more traditional action movie instead of Soderbergh's jazzy, clinical genre experiment. There's a handful of fights and a handful of chases, but mostly the plot is tied up in knots of who betrayed who and why. The dialogue volume is also curiously kept at a very low level, which obscures many conversations (I was forced to turn on the subtitles just to keep up). The plot itself is such a familiar rehash so why doesn't Soderbergh pump it with more action? A bevy of stars appear in this thing (Ewan McGregor, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas, Michael Fassbender, Channing Tatum) but gives them precious little to do. Unless Haywire is in fight mode, it's a rather soggy bore. The minimalism in a genre known for bombast is commendable but when that minimalism also stretches into plot and character and pacing, then you've entered into another Soderbergh indie experiment. For my money, Haywire is too sparse, too generic, and too dull to recommend, but I'd love to see more of Carano cracking skulls.

Nate's Grade: C
Carlos M

July 12, 2012
If you ever wondered what Mission Impossible or Kill Bill would have been like if made by Soderbergh, now you have the answer. The fight scenes are quite efficient but the formulaic plot holds no surprises, with an irregular pacing and apathetic action scenes.
Alexander D

January 22, 2012
It‚(TM)s official: Hollywood is finally straying away from their sexist assessments of the spy genre. For years, spies have been distinctly male. It seems that a trend is beginning now in which a spy film with a female heroine is released each year. In 2010, it was Angelina Jolie in SALT. Last year, it was Saoirse Ronan in HANNA. HAYWIRE is the introduction of MMA fighter Gina Carano into the film industry. It‚(TM)s ironic that her name drowns in a see of well-known actors, yet her fresh lead performance stands out above all those actors.

If there is one quality that defines HAYWIRE‚(TM)s excellence any more than skillful performing and writing, it‚(TM)s style. Director Steven Soderbergh knows how to spot out a technical crew that can do their jobs well (save for the titles that seem a much better fit for a shampoo commercial). These qualities are an unmistakable nod to old-fashioned spy stories. I mean we don‚(TM)t even have to have seen any of these tales on television or in film to recognize the allusion. There is one scene in particular that uses the method in a particularly effective way. For at least seven minutes, all audio is muted as we see Mallory moving from one destination to the next. Instead we hear an extended anthem that sounds as if composed under the influence of the themes from DR. NO or MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE. The cinematography varies between a plethora of angles. The most memorable is the ‚bird‚(TM)s eye view‚?; when paired with black and white filming, it‚(TM)s like watching security camera footage.
Jason S

July 8, 2012
This movie has some great fight scenes and a very impressive cast but the whole thing falters when your main actress is as wooden as Carano is.
It might not have been so bad if she hadn't been surrounded by such good actors.
Joe M

June 16, 2012
Apparently Steven Soderbergh uses the same music in all his movies.
3niR
3niR

June 28, 2012
It was a very dull movie with loads of fighting. And Channing Tatum looked worst in this. He should start working out.
cosmo313
cosmo313

January 7, 2012
What we have here is an espionage action thriller featuring a strong female lead as a black-ops agent who gets double crossed on a botched mission and goes on a quest to find out who set her up and why.

Yeah, I know...this doesn't sound very exciting, especially since this set up is one of the oldest in the book. However, this is an espionage action thriller featuring a strong female lead that is directed by Steven Soderbergh, so that therefore makes the film stand out a bit, because you just know that if he's behind it, there's gonna be something at least remotely unique going on here.

To make his take on this type of film stand out, Soderbergh cast MMA fighter Gina Carano in her film debut as lead character Mallory Kane- a no-nonsense agent who is bound and determined to find out who set her up on a previous job and takedown all those who stand in her way. Essentially this film is kind of a vanity project, wherein the highlight is Carano's action skills and stunt abilities, and they are used as a clothesline to hang a thin story around.

And...it works. This film is nothing new or relevatory, but it's a brisk and entertaining film that's done well, and that's all I could have really asked for. Carano shows promise as a rising action star and, since she does slightly struggle a tad on the acting side, Soderbergh wisely has her stick to her strengths and gives her a minimal amount of heavy lifting (dramatically), instead giving that to an outstanding ensemble cast that includes Michael Fassbender, Ewan McGregor, Channing Tatum, Bill Paxton, Antonio Banderas, and Michael Douglas. Those guys all do a terrific job (yes, even Tatum), though I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Paxton and Fassbender.

Also, since this film is tailored to Carano's trengths, the action scenes and fight choreography are excellent, featuring a high degree of realism, great sound design (no music during hand to hand scenes, just sound effects), good editing (none of the 'Bourne' type stuff), and in general some fine cinematography and a fun and hip jazzy score.

Give this one a watch. Carano makes a good impression, the film has the typical Soderbergh intelligence and flourishes, and it's all very straightforward and doesn't overstay its welcome.
Everett J

June 16, 2012
I usually hate Steven Soderbergh movies. Other than Ocean's 11(didn't care for the sequels) I can't think of a Soderbergh movie I likes. "Haywire" is probably the closest I've come to liking one of his movies, but I just think it's decent. Gina Carano makes her movie debut as Mallory Kane, a trained operative who is double crossed after freeing a journalist hostage. She then comes after her own agency and must find out the truth, before they kill her. She is a former MMA star, and it shows as she does her own stunts/fight scenes. She is kind of a boring actress who is just hot, but then again the action is great so it makes up for her acting capabilities(hey, it's her first movie so she gets a pass). The rest of the cast is great, Michael Fassbender, Channing Tatem, Michael Douglas, Ewan McGregor, Bill Paxton, and Antonio Bandaras all bring big star power. But the movie suffers from pacing issues and long stretches of mild action set to odd music. Soderbergh has a knack for having a great story, but messes it up with his typical crap as a director. Some really great scenes, and a good ending, but not enough to really have me say "man, that was great!" Instead, I'm like "I wish this were directed by someone else, it would have been so much better!" Watch for the action and good performances, just know the movie will frustrate more than entertain, and that's because of who helmed it.
Nicki M

June 9, 2012
I watched most of this, but can't say I paid a lot of attention. Really boring and pointless and load of fighting with dull storyline. Couldn't wait for it to end.