97% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

He Died With A Felafel In His Hand Reviews

December 27, 2011
The film loosely follows the writer named Danny (Noah Taylor) as he moves in an out of three shared houses in Australia, introducing us to numerous over-the-top characters along the way. Attempting to film John Birmingham's novel of shared living arrangements was a big ask of Director Richard Lowenstein and the transformation from page to stage makes for one dull movie. The fragmented nature of the narrative does not suit the medium and the changes comparative to the novel only impede its comic appeal. The only highlight is a soundtrack featuring Nick Cave.
September 11, 2013
A decent Aussie 'comedy', that's really more of a existential drama of share-housing. Sure, some of it's surreal & a little crazy, but it's basically a bunch of self-centered narcissists sitting around talking. Sure, the 'romance' between Dan & Sam is nice, but nothing really happens in the whole 100min. Great soundtrack, though - Stranglers, Nick Cave, Spiderbait... Will have to read the book, which I'm sure is much better.
Alexey M.
August 18, 2013
Hilarious start and end but not much to say for the middle. Great Australian humour in this one. Don't expect any amount of sophistication, just enjoy a movie that appeals to the lowest common denominator and does it successfully.
April 2, 2011
A touching yet hilarious look at the life of young Danny, an unemployed writer who by necessity, is forced to live in share accommodation in different cities in eastern Australia. As the story unfolds, larger themes of finding meaning and purpose in life are also skilfully explored in a whimsical manner under the direction of Richard Lowenstein. Noah Taylor is perfect as Danny and I've never seen Damien Walshe-Howling in such good form as he is here as Milo. This Australian low budget indie flick is an absolute gem and it is highly recommended!
March 9, 2013
The masterpiece of the australian movie's school. An irriverent and funny take of the true life in the australian's shared houses.
Andrew A.
December 9, 2012
I absolutely loved it. One of the best Australian films ever (even though there isn't many.) it was a very odd film, but was still great. the acting of Noah Taylor (Danny) was terrific. 5 star
October 16, 2012
Lowenstein balances the needs of the comedic pain with the exigencies of dramatic truth very well. Totally strange, quirky and profound. So outside the norms which is another reason why I enjoyed it so much!
July 9, 2012
I stumbled upon this little gem, and instantly fell in love with it. There's a certain charm to it. Noah Taylor kicks ass. A+
July 4, 2012
Bizarre, fresh, and quite funny. Very memorable.
rthornhill
June 16, 2012
recommended by sue2citysueful......
May 5, 2012
Interesting, unique and entertaining Aussie philosophical comedy.
April 17, 2012
Watched randomly one day on netflix and it was a cool, quirky little movie, and pretty funny to boot.
June 21, 2011
great Aussie classic...
Drakul
May 18, 2011
Interesting movie and good actors in this movie. There could have been more story but overall a good one-time see
2natures
January 16, 2011
Many of us have those fleeting fragmented moments in our lives where we think: "ooh, this would be awesome in a film". Most of us let these little fragments slip away. This filmmaker, it feels like, does not. Instead, he records them meticulously. This film feels like an excuse to mush a multitude of such fragments into one 107 minute chunk. Overall, a pretty tedious experience. Not only because there is essentially no plot here, but also because many of these fragments feel quite self-aware and forced. There are however a few cute moments here as well. About 1 star worth.
Constantine IX
November 29, 2010
I immediately fell in love with that movie within the first 10 minutes of watching it. There was never, in my opinion, a movie that depicted the disillusioned youth as efficiently than that film. And with humor! I really liked the strange world that Lowenstein put us in, without forgetting the essence of Birmingham's; obscure cultist meetings, cheesy life lessons, and so much more.
July 23, 2010
Surprisingly good, sort of uneventful, but very introspective. Based on a novel of some dude from Australia that travels around the country fleeing from debt living in shared homes, documenting his experiences.
outlandishflamingo
July 23, 2010
Wonderfully philosophical and hilarious at times.
Mijou
July 23, 2010
well there is a lot of creativity in this, still the spark did not really jump over, it are too many characters to build up sympathy with them. Maybe I should rather read the book :)
February 17, 2009