He Knew He Was Right Reviews

½ October 14, 2010
I rather enjoyed this nice drama, BUT I wanted so much to reach into my screen and slap that husband. Holy cow was he ever a total idiot. Obviously, he had some kind of mental illness that was causing him to act that way, and which finally did him in. Watching him just made me madder and madder. The movie was so nicely done, though, and the rest of the people were able to have happy endings. So...made up for it I guess.
February 24, 2009
A Victorian morality tale of jealousy that leads to insanity. An infuriating self-righteous prig, Louis Trevelyan (Oliver Dimsdale), is so convinced that his innocent, young, and beautiful wife, Emily (Laura Fraser), has betrayed him that he will not listen to anyone who tries to convince him otherwise. He goes to great lengths to prove himself right, by hiring a disreputable private detective, Bozzle, to spy on her. And, although the detective gets things wrong from the get-go and is found out, rather than admit he is wrong, the husband sends Bozzle back in to continue his surveillance. Several other romances are played out, between Emily's sister and a young journalist, the journalist's sister and a cousin by marriage, and the village vicar and a pair of silly sisters. If not for the maniacal self-deception of Louis, and his constant error of judgement and deed, this would have been a quite joyful tale, indeed. But, madness will not succomb to reason, no matter how prettily it is dressed. Bill Nighy is properly smarmy as the raconteur who sets the ill-fated events in motion. Well-done, if just a bit melodramatic.
½ March 17, 2012
If you liked Downton Abbey or any of its "ilk" you will love this one. Well-acted and interestingly written.