He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not Reviews

½ March 19, 2009
Beware of SPOILERS:

It's tough to agree to sit to watch a romantic movie. Not really my cup of tea. But then IMDb had described this as a Thriller too, and so I decided to give it a go. And I'm glad I did. A simple story of troubles arising out of an infatuated teenager's misinterpretations of a married doctor's feelings. However, it's the slick execution that elevates the tempo of the plot & helps maintain the interest in this simple story. I liked how the writers made it as realistic as possible (instead of offering it as a no-brainer entertainer), and made such a crazy story believable enough with relatively few plot-holes. First, the story is told from Angélique's point of view, and thereafter the real circumstances are revealed. Although they don't come as twists as you kinda know what's in store, the effect is still amazing. I didn't like Amelie, but this one's exceptionally good. Indeed, well worth the risk. I was prepared for yet another disappointment, but it didn't come to that. It succeeded in overcoming my negative expectations. Entertaining stuff & a splendid experience. Of course, time & mood has played their role in it too. Some other day, I might have panned this flick for the very same reasons I appreciated it. Mood swings. For now, it's 7/10.
½ June 7, 2011
Decent movie, with an interesting twist that I wasn't expecting. A gimmick maybe, but a cleverly employed one that works thanks in no small part to the smart writing, and good performances. As typical for most French fims, this was a little slow...but ejoyable enough.
½ December 4, 2008
This was one of the best French movies I have seen in a long time! Half of it is from Angelique's point of view (Audrey Tautou), such a happy, sweet girl that you really feel bad for her that she's being messed around by this married jerk. It is at this point, very visually pretty to look at - lots of reds and hearts, and of course Audrey is very beautiful. Then it switches as .....SPOILER....... Angelique decides to kill herself, and the story starts over again, giving you the chance to see what actually happened from point of view of the married man. Suddenly you realise Angelique is not exactly all she seems!
puffchunk
½ December 12, 2007
The French keep on making good movies. This one at a glance would seem like a romantic poop ship, but it is really rather amazing. Without giving it away, it follows a girl's side of the story, then halfway through the movie switches to the beginning showing the guys side, and they are so different it's amazing how it could be twisted to make one storyline. Very good stuff, and Audrey Tautou is a psycho.
½ May 13, 2007
Angelique, a young student, is in love with a married doctor. We see her attempts to make him leave his pregnant wife, but he does not appear for meetings or finally the booked journey to Florence.

For a film in which the plot seems very predictable and obvious it didn;t become that way towards the end of the film. It starts of as an affair, what we are led to believe, from one point of view seemed predictable at one point. The use of two narratives worked well as it gave a whole new slant on the film. Chnaged it from a avergae affirs to a dangerous liason which we evntually find out about.

The re-wind technique of different perspectives, descended from the Japanese "Rashomon," has combined entertainment with philosophical insight by the German Tom Tykwer, in such as "Run Lola Run," and with socio-political commentary in the Mexican "Amores Perros." Add in the American know-how of creepiness from "Fatal Attraction" and "One Hour Photo," and the French writer/director Laetitia Colombani, mais oui, applies it all to matters of the heart.

She uses both a rational and visual approach to an enormously entertaining take on "she says, he says"/"he loves she who is in love with he who is in love with she" etc. that is an unpredictable roller coaster.

Our other stereotypical assumptions also lead to other surprises. Unlike Hollywood, this movie respects our intelligence, and leaves us to figure out what's going on and anticipate what will happen after the end.

Just like it took awhile to feel good about "Singing in the Rain" after seeing "Clockwork Orange" and a certain classic rock song after "Reservoir Dogs," you may get a frisson of the creepies from Nat King Cole after this.

Audrey Tatou plays a role totally different from her role as Amelie, in the 2001 film. From the outset her character appears innocent and I felt sympathy for her and especially her friend who just wanted to be with her. She certainly changed my opion on her acting.

What I loved at the end of the film was the fact it wasn't predicatble at atll. HAving the two narratives, told by two different perspectives before that made be think I knew what was coming. What a twist at the end!

What the director does well is making the audience think they know what's going to happen but the tables are turned at the end as I said before.

I loved the photography which makes the film seem innocent from the beginning. Also gives a brilliant landscap ideology of France. Just brilliant.

Overall worth the watch for Tatou's performance. Just don't expect a romantic film because it just isn't.
½ January 22, 2007
Audrey Tautou is amazingly talented. This movie is a fresh, original mystery with a ton of life and some really inspired camerawork. I'd really like to see it again soon.
PantaOz
December 24, 2009
Audrey Tautou is one of my favourite actresses but in this role as Angélique - a successful art student who has won a scholarship, she is interesting and intriguing... but fails to be exceptional! A movie which I'll recomend - romantic thriler with few twists, but do not expect too much!
DrStrangeblog
December 14, 2008
Excellent, completely unexpected twist in this French romance-thriller with the plucky Audrey Tautou in one of her first starring roles following Amelie, a casting choice which the film I believe cognizantly used to take clever advantage of our expectations. The less you know beforehand the better - for one thing, DO NOT watch the misleading trailer! - and those who enjoy it the most will have paid attention during the first half.
August 9, 2007
Mixed feeling on this. The first half is just okay but the second part adds an amazing twist.
FanGirl
June 21, 2006
A great film, instant favorite. I recommed it to everyone, no matter how you feel about this film in the beginning make sure to watch it at least a little way past half way through and trust me once you make it to half way through you'll know what I mean. Everyone I know who has seen, has loved.
October 28, 2012
A movie about two different perspectives. Since I am close to someone who is building a new world inside her head in a similar way as the main character in the movie that added an extra layer to my viewing experience. Whenever I hear the one song in this movie from now on I'll be thinking back on this movie.
March 4, 2011
This movie was fascinating albeit disturbing. The filming was excellent along with the acting. Audrey Tautou was marvelous, just as she was in Amelie.
February 28, 2010
This was a story of love gone wrong until it backed up and the other side was told. But then, it was still a story of love gone wrong.
Enjoyed the ending.
Audrey Tautou is so cute and innocent, I can't wait to watch another movie of hers.
Good movie to watch on a Sunday afternoon drinking a glass of wine.
February 7, 2010
I Audrey Tautou and I have heard how some say that Amelie was her best film, but after seeing this I may have to agree. This is an amazing movie! It may not look like an interesting movie from the title or the cover but over it is awsome! The beginning plot makes you want to side with Angelique but as the movie goes on you soon begin to see the truth unravel. It doesn't take long for someone to realize just how crazy she really is but the end it still very surprising. Audrey Tautou is a great actress and so is the rest in the movie. The end of the movie is not what I was suspecting at all so that made it even better. You may think that it is a bit ridiculous to have to have part ot the movie rewind and show Loic's side of the story, but I think it is very necesary. This is a decent film, nothing sexual, hardly any bad words, and the plot is amazing.
½ February 4, 2010
Rarely does a movie evoke such emotion in its viewer. We learn that perception varies tremendously among persons. Furthermore, we learn that one's smallest actions have potential for extreme influence on another.

The first twenty minutes of this movie were a little odd, as the storyline was (purposely) blurred. However, as the story unfolded I discovered a shocking, suspenseful, and passionate plot. I stared wide-eyed at the screen during the last 40 minutes of the film.
June 21, 2009
Absolutely watch this movie. It is such a different film and so layered, I LOVE Audrey Tautou, this movie is UNPREDICTABLE.
November 25, 2007
Finally got to see this movie! I love Audrey and in this role is no exception. First you feel for her character then as it goes on, she slowly starts to creep you out until the very end. Great movie and a plot twist I wasn't expecting.
July 29, 2008
I liked how you first see the story through the girls eyes, and then it starts over seen as it actually is, through the doctors eyes. I also thought if was a good amount of creepiness, without being a thriller or horror film. I was still pretty creeped out.
May 21, 2008
I saw this film a few years ago and it was not like anything I had ever seen before...it shows that thier is 2 sides to every story and this film shows that thier is more than meets the eye..
½ December 10, 2007
I watched this movie while in france.Starring a favourite of mine,audrey tautou it deals with her relationship with a doctor who is married