• PG-13, 1 hr. 35 min.

Head of State Reviews

Chiefilms
Chiefilms

February 24, 2010
Foreshadowing. Most Chris Rock-lead movies are terrible, this one is his best.
Jose Z

January 4, 2009
Five years ago this movie might sound ridiculous and unreal maybe unreal. But now if you watch it it could be a glimpse to the future with a very funny and ironic view. The movie have some really funny moments. It is directed by Chris Rock and from the beginning we can see his typical kind of humor with a lot of social criticism and political satire. The cast is good. Chris Rock is great and Bernie Mac hilarious, together they make an excellent couple of comedians. Robin Givens, James Redhorn and Lynn Whitfield complete the cast and add a very good support to the movie.
Emily A

September 19, 2006
I'm so glad the studios ended up trusting Chris Rock to direct a movie. Man, he should run for President. Although he crosses the surrealism line a little too often for my tastes, this movie was a hilarious indictment of phoniness in American politicians. I have a little souvenir "Crib Malt Liquor" bottle in my room.
James A

March 23, 2006
I know what your thinking, Chris Rock in a bad movie?
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

March 7, 2011
This is a very funny satire of our political system and of black culture with the general premise being a black man is chosen to run for president by a white establishment that assumes he'll lose. Chris Rock plays Mays Gilliam, an alderman who finds himself running for President of The United States after the original presidential candidate dies in a plane crash two months before the election. Obviously, he is being set up to lose, but (of course) begins winning over the people and ultimately taking control of his fixed campaign with his street smart unorthodox methods. Bernie Mac plays Alderman's bail bondsman brother turned vice president running mate providing laughter with his rough and rumble ways. Robin Givens plays Gilliam's stalker ex-girlfriend.
Joseph E

June 28, 2010
Hey, what can I say, from beggining to end, I enjoyed this movie.
Andrew F

June 27, 2007
I saw it a long time ago. I didn't like it very much.
June 27, 2007
It has some funny parts but overall there is not enough meat to make a full movie out of. Chris Rock is very good; I cringe to think what this would have been with anyone else in the lead. His timing and ability to satire the political system with keen remarks and cutting delivery keep this from failing. As a satire the movie works pretty well but I wish they had exaggerated more and dug in deeper in a more while making their points. Chris Rock carries the whole movie on his back and it is a shame that there were not better support characters to bolster this movie and push it to the next level. Bernie Mac's character was unfortunately undeveloped and underutilized as the Vice President candidate. The overly simple plot did not do any favors either. If Rock had more help this could have been really good but there are too many things that do not work and it settles for middle of the road.
dinkyluvssftball
April 25, 2009
I've only seen this once with my cousin and my aunt...
but, It was non-stop kind of laughing...
Great Comedy! : D
November 18, 2008
Aah... Chris Rock. What can I say? Well, if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all. So I won't.
scrapelj
March 20, 2008
Like all Chris Rock movie's, there are funny things that happen that are nearly brilliant. He just hasn't constructed those funny things into an effective film.
jsbond008
January 27, 2008
a fun 'if only' movie. Chris Rock is good as always, Bernie Mac is the man, and the rest is pretty good.
June 29, 2007
SECURITY! sKURRRRR!
LOL-
i KNOW i told you that we won't stop I thought I told you that we won't stop-
A good satire
December 15, 2007
Much like the movie "Life" (Eddie Murphy/Martin Lawrence/Bernie Mac) -- you would think that an all-star comedic lineup would be enough to make a good movie. But it only goes to prove that you need a good script to make that happen. Much like "Life", I was extremely disappointed, and maybe because of my expectations of the cast. This one was a lot worse than "Life" though.
May 7, 2007
This movie was just ok for me. Chris Rock was not that funny, and any movie I watch with him in it, he should be funny. The movie seemed rushed and didn't flow very well.
kerik3
July 5, 2007
I moved this to the top of my Netflix queue after seeing Chris in The Longest Yard. I generally really enjoy his comedy and wanted to see something centering on it. I don't know WHAT he was trying to do here. We spent a lot more time rolling our eyes than laughing. He had an opportunity to make some great points in a humorous way and...well, he really dropped the ball. The only time Chris came through was when talking to 'the people'. Want a good political comedy? See Dave or Distinguished Gentleman. MUCH better choices.
June 19, 2007
Tooooo political for my taste in stand up comedy. I usually watch that to forget the politics, not remember them.
DontMessWithThePrincess
June 28, 2007
this WAS a good movie, but there are some political terms you have to know first. I had to watch it a couple of times before i started understanding it. IT was a funny movie, but it was also a snoozer. I would play it for compnay.....if i was trying to get them to go to sleep. Not one of Chris Rock's best.
June 24, 2007
Chris Rock tries very hard to make this movie work but there just isn't enough good to outweigh the bad.
June 11, 2007
An unsuccessful stab at satire. Keep the political wit in your stand-up and focus on making...well do more stand-up.