Hearts in Atlantis Reviews

February 28, 2015
Interesting film. I wish some elements of this film were better explained, but I suppose that's to be expected of a Stephen King adaptation. But still, I like how well the time period is portrayed here. It gives the viewer a good sense of nostalgia.
February 21, 2015
another awesome pic based on Stephen king short story.
½ October 23, 2014
This is where the film cynic in me comes out. Technically there's nothing wrong with 'Hearts' but its a movie that's just so wholesome, so vanilla, so non-threatening that it never feels like anything is at stake
½ October 7, 2014
While it won't reinvent the wheel of coming-of-age films, 'Hearts' is still a well produced tale in its own right. Huge part of this goes to.two solid leads in Hopkins and Yelchin, as well as solid direction and some strong emotional 'punches'.
August 29, 2014
Anthony Hopkins is always doing great, so the Stephen King's adaptation and this drama is surprisingly King's style indeed. "Heart In Atlantis" is a good study of character and a not-average film about nostalgia a glory of childhood.
April 28, 2014
Directed by Scott Hicks (Shine (1996) and Snow Falling on Cedars (1999)), this is a loose adaptation of Stephen King's 1999 short story collection Hearts in Atlantis, the film version, adapted by William Goldman, takes Low Men in Yellow Coats and Heavenly Shades of Night are Falling, and makes a film of them. It is an unusual film, and it makes for a moving and slightly mawkish drama. Bobby Garfield (David Morse) returns to his hometown to bury a childhood friend, and it reminds him of his childhood when he was an 11 year old boy (Anton Yelchin) in 1960. Then, he was living with his mother Liz (Hope Davis), who was struggling to make ends meet. To make a bit of extra cash, they take a lodger in, the mysterious Ted Brautigan (Anthony Hopkins). Bobby takes a liking to Brautigan, and even reads the paper to Brautigan due to his failing eyesight. But, it becomes apparent that Brautigan has telekinetic powers, while at the same time Bobby grows up with his friends Carol Gerber (Mika Boorem) and John "Sully" Sullivan (Will Rothhaar). It might have been better had the whole book been adapted, but it would have been too episodic and it would have been at least 3 hours long, which Goldman wanted, but it was cut down before filming started. But, it manages to be engaging for the most part, but it could have been much more.
June 16, 2011
I have just watched it for the first time in over ten years, and it is outstanding still to me. Wonderfully acted, emotionally gripping, this movie reminds us that we can't relive the past, but we can at least remember it.

This may be the most underrated movie I have ever seen
½ May 15, 2013
I've always felt like 'Heart's in Atlantis' heart is in the right place. I'm sentimental for it.
October 19, 2013
A deeply moving piece. Whatever its inadequacies in addressing "blunt truth", it is perfect for watching on a rainy Sunday afternoon. Anthony Hopkins delivers a touching performance, and the plot, reminiscent of magic surrealism, is of a good standard.
October 11, 2013
There doesn't seem to be much of a storyline, but I enjoyed the atmosphere and the Sixties soundtrack!
There are some good scenes, but the plot just meanders along without any sense of direction!
½ August 24, 2013
Not as good as Stand by Me but still really good.
½ August 3, 2013
Based on Stephen King's weakest collection of novellas, the story just never seemed to captivate me.
½ July 16, 2013
Hopkins is great, but I found myself waiting for a climax that never arrived. Disappointing.
April 12, 2013
A simply great movie,"One by which all others should be measured!"
½ March 29, 2013
"Sometimes when you're young, you have moments of such happiness, you think you're living in someplace magical, like Atlantis must have been? then we grow up and our hearts break into two."
February 4, 2010
Such a weird yet great film with Anthony Hopkins. Kept my eyes on this film from the start through the end. Watched it twice and still want to see it again.
March 18, 2013
After reading the Dark Tower series some years ago it was great to see the story on screen. Though not quite true to the book(s) it still felt it had the general tone covered well which is somewhat rare for a Stephen King movie. It did make me long for the Dark Tower to come to life on the big screen but at the same time I am fearful as to how bad they are going to screw that one up.
July 5, 2007
Can't remember a damned thing about this.
January 16, 2013
I absolutely love this film. Its really good. The acting is superb from Hopkins and the storyline is excellent. It was well worth watching and the book of the film is good too. If you haven't seen it you should i bought it on dvd its that good.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!