Wild Card - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wild Card Reviews

July 5, 2015
The prolific writer William Goldman is the reason to see this typical Jason Statham thriller, all about Las Vegas and dreams deferred. While nothing unusual happens, the insightful dialogue carries the piece. As well, Statham himself is seen perhaps to be better than his action hero cutout character designation, only lacking the proper vehicle.
August 30, 2015
Statham is as Statham does and if that's all you look for in a movie then you'll be intermittently pleased with this Heat remake. But if you're looking for a movie that even in the slightest knows what it's about, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.
May 18, 2015
Generic and fairly mundane, Wild Card is an underwhelming action film. When one of his friends is beaten and raped Nick Wild, a private security specialist, tracks down the man responsible and helps his friend get her revenge. Jason Statham leads the cast, but gives a pretty rote performance. In fact, none of the acting is particularly good. And the plot is unfocused, shifting between three seemingly unrelated storylines. Wild Card is mildly entertaining at times, but overall it's a rather forgettable film.
½ February 2, 2015
Well folks, sadly Jason Statham has fallen as far as a star and a half rating with his most recent action flick, Wild Card. It's not only all over the place with its focus, or lack-there-of, but it's an incredibly boring story.

Statham fans might get a kick out of the very limited fight scenes we're granted to break up the poor acting from everyone not named Statham, but even with those smushed together at may a total of 6 minutes out of the entire hour and a half, you'd be sorely pressed at staying attentive.

It's a little upsetting considering Statham has been in some great underground action movies over the last five years, but he's fallen out recently with a string of duds.
February 2, 2015
Far more enjoyable than I thought but stil the same formula you get in most Jason Statham films. This time though it has good combat and a few well known stars to rise above the usual mediocrity and it works, just.
½ January 8, 2016
Started out as if it might have a plot of sorts--but as Statham tries to get away from all these giants and tough guys, they've finally surrounded him, about 15 of them with guns--and he just takes them all out(!) If he's that much a Superman, why didn't he just do that from the git-go? Makes all the plot maneuvering pointless.
½ February 15, 2015
2/15/2014: This movie had potential, but the storyline was lacking. Statham is what I expect and want from his movies. He kicked ass, literally! Vergara is listed as a main actor, but she is only in the first 5 min, which is very misleading. She is a good actress and obviously gorgeous, so she should of had a different/bigger role.
January 24, 2015
GOOD FIGHTS AS WE ALWAYS SEE FROM JASON , WITH THIS STORY IT JUST WAS NOT WHAT THE STORY NEEDED TO PUT IT OVER .A OK MOVIE
½ July 12, 2015
A slow-moving bad remake of the Burt Reynolds 1986 movie "Heat". Statham acts and moves like he really did not want to do this film.
½ June 24, 2015
As a jason statham fan, i had a really good time with the fine-directed action sequences in this movie as well as some of the card-game scenes, but everything else just felt unnecessary and boring.
½ June 3, 2015
Overall, not a "bad movie" - Tons of action, lots of fights, and a lot of violence. But I've seen him in better movies.
½ May 14, 2015
Another fine addition to Statham's filmography in which he gets to drive people around and beat up the bad guys.
April 12, 2015
This is not your normal Jason Statham action movie. I consider it much like "The Bank Job". Being a remake of an older film, I actually like it.
April 6, 2015
I guess there is a reason when a movie goes to limited release in late January and then is put on dvd two months later and this latest Jason Statham flick is the perfect example. I mean what the heck is this movie supposed to be? Is Statham a gambler, a bad ass, a smart guy, connected? What the heck? Guess he's a Wild Card eh? There are a few decent action scenes where Statham kicks butt with a spoon, a saucer and an ashtray, but other then that, it's just not good at all.
April 5, 2015
Review by Jesse Burleson of VIEWS ON FILM

Towards the last half of 2015's Wild Card (my latest review), Jason Statham's character wins $500,000 playing blackjack at a random Las Vegas casino. I'm not a card player but I've consulted with someone who's dabbled in the sort. From what I've gathered, there's no way a pit boss would ever allow someone to rack up that much money without having them thrown out (or at least investigated). I mean doesn't the house usually win at thousand dollar tables? And isn't counting cards suppose to be illegal? Ah, it is a movie of course and a bitter plot attempt to let a muddled hero walk off into the sunset. To borrow from a British term (Statham's a Brit), this is slight rubbish I tell you.

Anyway, if you take away The Italian Job, The Expendables, and the new Fast and the Furious installment, Jason Statham hasn't really set the world on fire as a box office juggernaut. And remember, he didn't star in the films just mentioned, he was just a supporting member of the cast. When he's in the lead role, it's either direct-to-video time or his cinematic redundancies barely breaking even. Listen, the guy's not that bad of an actor and he's pretty solid in many a fight scene. It's just that he lacks the charisma of a Liam Neeson, or a Pierce Brosnan, or a Harrison Ford, or whatever. His arrogance besets him not to mention the fact that he's also a little bland. And no matter how many necks he breaks or how many bone crunches he causes, it's just hard to root for the guy, plain and simple.

Take his latest movie for instance, the uneven, messy Wild Card. Watching it, you get all kinds of different tones. This thing could be about gambling. It could be a mentoring movie. Heck, it might even be an action blowout. Who knows for sure. There are three blood-drenched fight scenes that you wait for between moments of overacting, talkiness, and incoherency. The plot for what it's worth, has Statham playing Nick Wild. You don't know exactly what he does for a living. I mean, he claims early on that he's not an attorney or a private investigator. My reasoning is that he's one bad dude who helps out people in need. Two examples of this would be his catering to a woman who gets beaten up and raped within an inch of her life. Another instance involves him protecting an out-of-town schlep (young millionaire) as he gambles and takes in the Sin City scenery (for the first time). Throughout the proceedings, it's evident that Nick is keeping busy but he obviously doesn't like Vegas. He wants to get out but needs money, a boatload of it. That's the gist of "Card". It could possibly register as another flick announcing Statham taking on the title of Steven Seagal, Jr. And I'm not talking Wild Card having similarities to Under Siege. This is more like something structured in the vein of 1996's The Glimmer Man (bummer).

What's on screen is mostly distracting, lush Vegas backdrop. It is directed by the man who made one of my favorite guilty pleasures of all time, Con Air. You wouldn't know it though because he loses anything hyper kinetic and slows scenes down producing a mild, noir effect. He also caters to Statham by showcasing his obligatory, slow motion kicks and chops in the violently loud confrontations. That brings me to this notion: I haven't seen many of his movies but I've always wondered if Shirebrook's bald, butt kicker has certain types of stipulations etched into his contract. Just a thought.

In addition to obedient direction and contract woes, Wild Card has a lot of cameos from high profile actors. However, they seem so fleeting, so irrelevant. Jason Alexander shows up for literally a minute of screen time playing Statham's character's co-worker, Anne Heche is almost unrecognizable playing a waitress, Sofia Vergara does the whole damsel in distress thing and it's blink-or-you'll- miss-it stuff, and Hope Davis looks bewildered playing a card dealer. Are these actors/actresses friends of director Simon West? Are they gaga over Jason Statham and owe him a favor? Or are they just desperate to be in a movie (in general)? Only Stanley Tucci gets to play something memorable as a quietly creepy mafia boss. His role is sadly the lone exception.

All in all, I actually read in "Card's" wiki page that it was almost directed by Brian De Palma. That would have been interesting. We're talking the possibility of sweeping camera shots, tracking shots, and some split-screen stuff. I'm not saying De Palma totally revels in these techniques but I'm just going by his relegated style. Nevertheless, I'm gonna go with a negative but fair, two star rating via the finished product here. Movie-wise, Wild Card is a "card" that you should probably avoid turning over.
April 1, 2015
gr8 cast makes this remake of a 1987 burt Reynolds thriller go as far as remakes go this 1 is pretty good, I liked.
January 14, 2015
Different and action filled but Sofia could have stayed in the movie longer to make it a 5 star movie.
½ February 24, 2015
Not what I expected (in a bad way). This has a lot to do with playing cards and little else. There is a good scene where a woman gets some revenge on a guy, but it ends up disappointing, too.