Heaven

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Heaven Reviews

March 9, 2014
didn't understand most of the dialogue since i didn't watch w/ english subtitles. but still understood the beauty of the film.
January 3, 2014
A great film, dark, beautifully shot and well acted by a talented bunch of actors. A great experience for the senses.
December 4, 2013
It is very beautiful, although just for the sake of being beautiful. The story, although 'simple', is natural and makes sense compared to a lot of romances.
August 27, 2013
A different kind of love story, that's for sure. Well directed and Cate she speaka good da Italiano.
July 1, 2013
Photography, actors, storyline - everything get praise, but the music of the Estonian composer Arvo Part is not well known. His minimalistic modern classical music is used in this movie. He became a Christian and withdrew for months to an Estonian monastery and composed some of his music there. What a composer.
December 6, 2008
I can't imagine how immersively ethereal this film would've been had Kieslowski lived to make it, but it does not fail in Tom Tykwer's creative hands. The film, like most of Kieslowski's, is silent and meditative. The dialogue, though simple and concise is made poetic by the restraint of the two leading actors, both among my favorite actors ever: Cate Blanchett and Giovanni Ribisi. The two possess a quiet chemistry that seems to defy the implausibility of the actual story, and it is with this strength that the movie travels beyond mere pragmatism and reaches heights of stubborn romanticism. This quality is much beloved in Kieslowski stories and, when seen through another director's eyes, one can easily see the impact Kieslowski's cinema has held.
Red L

March 25, 2013
Philippa is in a hopeless situation. The drug dealers who have supplied drugs to her husband and students are supported by the Italian police who are questioning her. All seems lost until an young innocent translator helps her accomplish her goal.
March 5, 2013
3.5/5 The ending is a let down, but a very interesting movie.
March 4, 2013
Awesome movie. I would definitely recommend it .
February 2, 2013
Cate Blanchett in this great in this amazing film from the director that brought us Red, Blue and White. The cinematography is outstanding. To bad he died before the trilogy of Hell and Purgatory was completed.
December 29, 2007
Interesting Tykwer. His last efforts.
July 5, 2007
Good, but forgettable.
August 21, 2012
A movie I stumbled upon on TV, ended up watching the whole thing. Not bad, enjoyable.
August 16, 2012
With Twyker directing, Kieslowski writing, and Blanchett starring, this was always going to be elegant and worthwhile. It's beautifully shot and acted, with a story which takes for granted the idea that Italian police are completely corrupt. No need to consider the ending, this was worth watching for its beauty. Not real life,by the way!
Jeffrey M

July 6, 2012
Beautifully filmed, methodically paced, and acted with both depth and nuance, Heaven is perhaps best described as a post-modern drama and thriller, with a distinct art house/indie film vibe. Cate Blanchett is her usual brilliant self, and her quiet intensity is well matched by Giovanni Ribisi, in perhaps one of his most impressive roles. Their chemistry, and the amazing cinematography, keep the film consistently engaging. However, the script does have some shortcomings, especially in the third act, with an incoherent ending. Both characters aren't well developed enough to have us fully appreciate their motives, or their end game, which is distracting. In addition, the pacing of the film becomes uneven, especially towards the end, making it occasionally drag. But this is offset by what it does well, as well as some strong dialogue.

3.5/5 Stars
June 24, 2012
Two good actors -- Blanchett, overwrought and awkward; and Ribisi, in one of his best pertrayals --are wasted in a dumb plot.

At the crux of the plot's problem is a supremely stupid act that Blanchett's character carries out. The illogic of the screenwriters is mind-boggling and turned me off right away. Here it is (spoiler alert):

How can Blanchett, who plays a teacher and a smart woman, so badly miscalculate that her bomb will not create collateral damage?

From there, the rest of the movie seems ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as the silly ending -- a helicopter as deus ex machina. Can you say ludicrous?
May 21, 2012
Very slow to start, when if fires on, it fires on seriously. It's not with action scenes or special effects that raise it's level, what most work are the whispers and the silences, long and deep. "At the right moment, you have to do what nobody expects." it's not just a quote taken from the movie, it's also the direction that the director gives to it. Expect the unexpectable, until the end.
March 14, 2012
Heaven is a beautiful and thought-provoking film. The cinematography is absolutely stunning, with many breathtaking images. The beautiful Italian countryside is highlighted by some striking aerial photography. The screenplay by Kieslowski is interesting, complex, and subtle. Cate Blanchette play...read mores Phillippa Paccard, a goodhearted schoolteacher who is driven to murder. When things go awry, she is arrested and questioned. The movie follows her evolution through hate and revenge, to horror and repentance, and finally to love and understanding. She gives a riveting and complex performance. The movie is a welcome alternative to the usual Hollywood fare, the but be prepared for a relatively slow pace. You will be rewarded.
April 6, 2012
Tom Tykwer's Heaven is a film which I feel like I should have liked more than I actually do. Honestly, I am not entirely sure why I didn't like it more. Going into the film I had no idea that Krzysztof Kieslowksi wrote the screenplay, but in the end it made a ton of sense. It's a film that examines fate and the complexities of morality, looking at deeply flawed humane characters, which tend to be recurring themes in Kieslowki's work. Cate Blanchett is really fantastic in this film as this deeply flawed woman who has to deal with the guilt of killing four individuals in a bombing, missing her actually target because of unforeseen chance. While the film is full of great ideas and features some great moments of intimacy, I never felt as emotionally connected as I probably should have. The film is beautifully composed with Tykwer using an abundance of wide shots which I interpreted as a statement about how tiny the individual is int he scope of the universe and fate. I guess I just had some trouble accepting Giovanni Ribisi's characters decisions as they felt more necessary to the story than actually genuine. An interesting work for sure, but I couldnt help but wonder what Kieslowski would have done if he got the chance to direct it.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

September 10, 2009
Cast: Cate Blanchett, Giovanni Ribisi, Remo Girone, Stefania Rocca, Alessandro Sperduti, Mattia Sbragia, Stefano Santospago, Alberto Di Stasio, Giovanni Vettorazzo, Gianfranco Barra, Mauro Marino

Director: Tom Tykwer

Summary: Deeply disappointed by law enforcement's lax investigation following her husband's drug-related death, Philippa Paccard (Cate Blanchett) takes the law into her own hands and ends up imprisoned in this moody romantic drama from director Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run). Filippo (Giovanni Ribisi), a police officer involved with Philippa's questioning, falls in love with her and helps her escape, as they flee together to the Tuscan countryside.

My Thoughts: "The film has a beautiful back drop. The concept was interesting but failed to succeed in delivering a great thriller. Since there is little character development, you don't develop enough emotions for these character's to really care what happens. I wasn't convinced of the romance between Philppa and Flippo. I didn't see the right kind of chemistry brewing for them to make me believe they could be in love. When Flippo's father asks Philippa if she loves his son, I was so certain she would say no. But besides the lack of chemistry, there was a lack of action. I get the quiet thriller aspect of it, but there could have been a little bit more going on to keep the interest. It's a slow burning, but visually beautiful thriller that some will have the patience for where other's will try to stay awake to finish it. But as usual, Cate and Giovanni give stellar performances."