57% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

The Hebrew Hammer Reviews

cosmo313
cosmo313

April 20, 2013
Made as a production for Comedy Central, this is writer/director Jonathan Kesselman's take on the detective/spoof film. Expanded from a short Kesselman made, this is the story of a super cool Jewish private eye named Mordechai Jefferson Carver, aka The Hebrew Hammer.

When Daminen, the evil son of Santa Claus kills his dad, takes over, and goes on a mission end Hanukkah, The Hebrew Hammer sets out to make things right, By his side are a nice Jewish girl, and help from his brothers at the Kwanzaa Defense League, who also seek more tolerance and acceptance during the winter holiday season.

The film is a very good natured, but very un-PC spoof film, with blaxploitation films being the primary reference point. As a fan of blaxploitation, and blaxploitation spoofs, I was immediately drawn to the concept, especially since I dig on Jewish stereotypes too, but not in a cruel way.

The film is funny, but it's more silly than anything. I dug the references I(and got most of them), but the film is really pretty shallow, and is stuffed with more jokes than substance. I did enjoy it, but it really lacked the punch that a lot of modern exploitation (and spoof) films have.

There are some really choice moments that made me squee though (and yeah, I just said squee...get over it), so even though the film is light, it's moderately amusing,. The cast are ultimately what hold it together, and you can tell they're trying hard to make things work.

Goldberg is a lot of fun as Mordechai, Judy Greer is fun as his love interest Esther, and Andy Dick is delightfully nutty as Damien. I dug the participation from the Van Peebles clan, too.

All in all, the film has its moments, but it seems to miss almost as much as it hits. As a general fan of this sort of thing, I give it a bit more credit, but overall, this is rather underwhelming.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 7, 2012
The Hebrew Hammer is a very funny film and has a pretty unique story to make it an entertaining comedy from start to finish. Considering that this film has Andy Dick in it, I quite liked him in his role, despite the fact that I hate him because of his eccentric, weird and creepy track record. The film has some effective comedy that is very funny and Adam Goldberg is perfect in the lead role, and he's very funny. The film is far from perfect, but it manages in being lots of fun from start to finish. This is a mindless comedy film with a good idea for its plot, and it works. This is not a film to take seriously, and it has its flaws, but for the most part it succeeds well enough at being a fun film. The Hebrew Hammer succeeds at being an effective comedy that delivers good laughs. Like I previously said, Andy Dick is good here, and he delivers the only good performance of his career as well as his small part in Old School. This is a worthwhile comedy to watch if you want a different type of film to watch. Original and funny, The Hebrew Hammer is quite entertaining and lots of fun, even if it's not perfect. Nonetheless it's a well acted film with plenty of gags that generate good laughs, and it definitely is a refreshing take on the Christmas film genre, and it uses stereotypes well enough to generate effective laughs.
Aaron N

November 8, 2006
The first "Jewsploitation" movie. Essentially it's a jewish version of Shaft. Of course, this is a pure comedy that's all about its setups and gags. All the actors make it work for the most part though. A number of good scenes make this work as a whole.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

July 29, 2005
[font=Century Gothic][font=Book Antiqua]In "Hebrew Hammer", Santa Claus is killed by his son, Damian(Andy Dick) who now wants to get rid[/font] of Hanukah. Only the Hebrew Hammer, Mordecai Jefferson Carver(Adam Goldberg), aided by the beautiful Esther(Judy Greer) and the leader of the Kwanzaa Liberation Front(Mario van Peebles) can stop the new Santa Claus from carrying out his nefarious schemes.[/font]

"Hebrew Hammer" is an amusingly silly spoof of blaxploitation movies of the 70's with a serious message of tolerance. It simultaneously tries to send up stereotypes(Mordecai is Jewish and macho) but also uses them on occasion.(For example, Nora Dunn is extremely annoying as a Jewish mother.) There are some wonderful moments. And a couple of great cameos add to the fun. Goldberg is likable and Greer is quite appealing. In the end, the movie really does not make much sense but that does not mean it cannot be enjoyed.
stevetheman1236
stevetheman1236

August 15, 2011
Great low-budget film that is one of the best examples of modern exploitation. Hilarious take on Christmas and the whole private-eye range of films, such as "Shaft". I'm not Jewish, and I thoroughly enjoyed this film.
Stephen E

November 29, 2011
Marion R

May 7, 2007
I saw this on Comedy Central, I thought it was really funny.
starlimitz2
March 18, 2010
I found myself surprised at how much I liked this one. The jokes in here were well done and I found myself laughing really hard at a lot of parts. Goldberg did a superb job with his part, but of course Andy Dick was... well... stupid as usual. The plot was pretty cut-and-paste but they did it with a very out-worldly style that I rather liked. I held off watching this for a long time, mostly because of the title. This one is pretty underrated by a lot of people, but more people should give it a chance.
July 13, 2008
I love this movie! Because I'm a Semite-oplhile, I love Adam Goldberg and it's ridiculous. It's not even that funny.
December 1, 2007
While there were a couple of gags and film references that were clever, most of the film seemed to rely more on gross-out humor, an angsty anti-christian tone, cheaply written black jokes which are made even more offensive when the Jewish stereotypes used in this film are more flattering than scathing. Maybe its just beacuse the Jewish culture isn't as absurdly sensitive that blaxploitation films are a reaction to. The idea may have just been flawed from the start as Jewish culture really isn't distinct enough to have something so tasteless that it points out how ridiculous racism is.
TheAluminumMonster
September 25, 2007
Insanely funny made for Comedy Central movie. Adam Goldberg is the greatest Jewish super badass ever put on celluloid, besides maybe...ok, the only one I suppose.
HeatherJC
April 5, 2007
Hell Funny!!! And What Makes It So Funny Is The Things They Say About Jewish People..ARE TRUE!!!!!! lol i love this movie!
September 15, 2006
I really really enjoyed this film. Adam Goldberg plays the Shaft of Jews and Andy Dick is very funny, as usual. But most importantly this film was just very well written. The jokes feel fresh, even if they're old racial slanders orstereotypes that we've seen onscreen for years. This film isn't even remotely seriosu, and once you kick back and relax with the understanding that The Hebrew Hammer equally makes fun of everyone you'll honestly have a great time.
John Serrano
December 21, 2013
The Hebrew Hammer is just as silly, dumb, and fun as you might expect. Packed with brilliant parodies and jabs against Jewish culture, this blaxploitation parody is executed brilliantly. Adam Goldberg delivers a genius performance that is both funny and badass, a difficult combination. Although there aren't too many laugh-out-loud moments and there a few cheesy moments too cheesy for their own good, the film manages to consistently entertain.
June 24, 2013
This stinking shitpile of a movie rides along Undercover Brother's coattails minus any semblance of comedy, a talented cast, or any social commentary whatsoever
December 4, 2009
A little late to the party on this one. Originally a 5-minute student film, at 85 minutes it strains to fill its running time, not helped by the rather feeble story (the Jewish Atomic Clock plot seems to have been improvised on the spot) and the shaky timing. The acting is disappointing as well, with Adam Goldberg, as the title character, rather uneven (he seems at times as frustrated with the script as I was), and Andy Dick, as the villain, displaying a lack of acting ability (he also seems to have improvised a fair amount of his dialogue). Mario Van Peebles, however, seems to be having a blast as the head of the Kwanzaa Liberation Front, as does Sean Whalen as a demented Tiny Tim. The gimmicks come thick and fast, with some scoring (like the Hammer's ultra-Jewified Cadillac and the parody of SHAFT) and some decidedly not (the J.A.C.; the diapered old cat owned by the Hammer's mother). For all this, it has its share of entertainment value, and pared down to an hour, say, with the weaker points removed, it could be a minor classic.
December 23, 2012
Saw it on comedy central it was not bad
May 7, 2012
Mixes satire with a few cheap laughs. It's funnier if you have a good knowledge of Jewish stereotypes.
October 19, 2012
It's entertaining in the same way that Undercover Brother and Black Dynamite are. So if you like those movies you'll probably like this one.
June 25, 2012
As a Jew, this film brought mixed emotions. I spent the entirety of the film poised between falling over laughing and being extremely offended. l still can't decide which it is.