Hedwig and the Angry Inch Reviews

½ July 31, 2015
So, because teleportation doesn't exist (...yet), I don't really have the opportunity to go see the insanely successful Broadway revival that's been going on for over a year and is a revolving door of stars. So, this is the next best thing. And I say that in the best way possible. I love this movie. It's funny, heartbreaking, boundary pushing, and has really catchy music to top it all off. You really can't beat John Cameron Mitchell as Hedwig. He did create the role after all. Miriam Shor (who I totally didn't realize was Yitzhak until like five minutes in), is always wonderful to watch. Seriously, I love everything I've seen her in. But, I'm just going to keep gushing about this, so all I'm going to say is watch this movie. And go see the Broadway show (for me).
April 11, 2011
It's a difficult task to adapt a stage musical into a movie but Hedwig hits all the right notes in its tradition from stage to screen adding more clarity to some foggy moments from the stage show including more cast members to play out the scenes rather than Hedwig playing most of the parts in scenarios. John Cameron Mitchell is excellent as Hedwig and does an excellent job juggling the lead actor and director roles. For being an independent film, the production values are really great especially the animation added during "The Origins of Love". It has great cinematography, hair, make up, costumes, and sound. Miriam Shor is also great as Hedwig's lover and all of the band members are great. Andrea Martin stole every scene she was in and made a great addition to the story as did Michael Pitt as Hedwig's other lover at a time, Tommy. This definitely is being added to my favorite musical movies list
½ July 5, 2015
Visually breathtaking and masterfully shot, John Cameron Mitchell's translation of he and Stephen Trasks' extraordinary play becomes even better in cinematic form. Not to be missed.
½ June 19, 2015
Hedwig is a frantic but honest film about introspection and searching for the self. Hedwig's story, his songs and what they lyrics transmit gave us an idea of this search for identity, love and happiness.
½ April 20, 2015
Ridiculously campy and ridiculously entertaining, the movie does suffer a bit because of some pedophilic overtones, but mostly the film triumphs thanks to its unforgettable style and performances.
March 30, 2015
Though I'm not a big fan of musical cinema, I'm always open to guilty pleasures and Hedwig and the Angry Inch sounded exactly like that.

In all honesty, my favourite musical film is The Rocky Horror Picture Show due to the over the top nature of its flamboyance and the fact that it just broke convention so much. Hedwig and the Angry Inch similarly deals with transgender related subject matter without sucking up to cliches of the musical genre.
Unlike Rock of Ages, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is an actual rock musical. The songs in the film actually maintain rock spirit without having to force it into commercial territory as a means of achieving that or playing songs which are little more than novelty. Hedwig and the Angry Inch is an interesting musical because it tells its story through music without it being at the expense of dialogue, and yet at the same time it works as an effective character study for the titular character. The main focus of the film is on the titular protagonist as she tells her life story through music and flashbacks, as well as conveying all of her feelings. This never feels melodramatic, it feels touching and also spirited with all the energy of the songs. Frankly, Hedwig and the Angry Inch knows how to succeed as an effective narrative feature and a good musical at the same time, disregarding all the conventions put out by Hollywood cinema and taking a new path which proves successful. The musical and narrative structure of the film may not always be effectively balanced which can throw viewers off due to a sense of inconsistency, but those who are able to sit back and embrace the over the top nature of many elements in Hedwig and the Angry Inch should approve of it. For me, I got thrown off by this quite a bit as well as the fact that I was so interested in the film that I wanted a lot more from it, setting my expectations a bit high. The fact that some of the subject matter is simplified is important because it reminds us that transgender people are everyday people just like you and me, but I also felt like there was much more of a story to be told. The titular character Hedwig was such an intruiging character who has been through so much, and I guess the fact that the film really wanted to explore it all on location made me think that the scale of Hedwig and the Angry Inch would be larger than it actually was. If it were a stage production then it would be easier to embrace, but because it is a film I felt that it did not maintain enough narrative to precisely constitute a cinematic experience as a whole. But still, the general spirit of it all is there and John Cameron Mitchell has the best intentions at heart.
Frankly, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a groovy film. It may not be perfect, but its stylish glamour combined with its legitimate drama and complicated themes make it an effective medium for viewers to learn about transgender identity and love while sitting back and embracing the wonderful music of it all. It is clearly a very personal piece for John Cameron Mitchell and essentially his Citizen Kane due to the fact that he serves as the writer, director and star of the film. We have him to thank for everything in Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and his passionate spirit is wonderful in how it brings the story to life on screen. The main problem I have with Hedwig and the Angry Inch is that I wanted more, and that the short running time of the film was not enough to fully explore the concept as well as it should have been. But either way, Hedwig and the Angry Inch remains an effectively entertaining feature which stands out as a well crafted film and an effective directorial debut from John Cameron Mitchell.
Also, there is no denying the sense of style in Hedwig and the Angry Inch. With the scenery so accurately conveying a sense of various settings throughout the film but a production design which remains simple, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is a colourful film. The cinematography evokes the feel of a documentary at many times which adds to the dramatic effect of the intended legitimacy in the film while at other times the cinematography is used very atmospherically to create a sense of melancholy to reflect the emotional experiences of the titular protagonist. John Cameron Mitchell finds ways to effectively tie the stylish nature of the film into the narrative as director and writer, and he uses it all to surround himself which hypes of the character he plays. Luckily enough he plays it perfectly.
John Cameron Mitchell is clearly a very complex man because there is nothing simple about a character like Hedwig Robinson. Effectively enough, John Cameron Mitchell manages to play her to the bone in every area with nothing but expertise. John Cameron Mitchell shows off his singing talents in Hedwig and the Angry Inch to really draw audiences in to the entertaining musical numbers, but more importantly he captures the intrigue of viewers with just how dedicated he is to the role. He captures the dramatic spirit of the character by conveying just how difficult it is to exist in a society which rejects the concept of accepting transgender women. He manages to really show just how difficult it is to live with such pressure and such complex psychology. John Cameron Mitchell captures the depth of his role and the spirit which transcends it to make Hedwig Robinson a rock star at the same time, easily going between the two personas without fear or struggles at transitioning. His performance is what really draws viewers in, and he directs himself through the material with incredible finesse which makes it one of the more memorable transgender character to be portrayed on the cinematic screen.

So thanks to John Cameron Mitchell's tenacious leading performance and powerful work as writer and director, Hedwig and the Angry Inch is an entertaining and touching musical film despite its narrative inconsistencies and short running time.
March 20, 2015
The film that sets the goal for all indie films (in my opinion). I went into this film very hesitant because of the subject matter, but what i got was a rock masterpiece. Fun, weird, and inspiring. As far as movies about german failed rockstars with a botched sex changed operation goes this one is really good. I love the theme and story and the emotional journey that hedwig takes as she comes to discover what it really means to be whole and what defines your sexuality. Great music, great story, maybe some artistic decisions including changes to story and setting aren't the best but overall a very enjoyable rock classic.
½ January 28, 2015
Don't you know me Kansas city? I'm the new Berlin wall!!
½ March 9, 2012
Poignant film with a killer soundtrack
January 19, 2015
To me, the all-time greatest movie ever made! The acting, the music, the story, the campy feel all make Hedwig and The Angry Inch a powerhouse film. God, I can go on for hours how amazing of a film it truly is and how great the music is. A clear definition of what makes a good musical and what good music is.
½ January 14, 2015
This has taken me how long to watch since it was released!? Where have I been!? If you are a fan of films like Kinky Boots, Priscilla and To Wong Foo and TV shows like RuPaul's Drag Race then give this a try, its hilarious. It doesn't have as many one liners as the others but the songs are catchy and compliment the film. Brilliant!
May 15, 2014
To quote a lyric from the film, this adaptation is "shining like the brightest star". Lift up your hands!
April 6, 2013
Hedwig & the Angry Inch is great film-making with it's engrossing story, brilliant performance from John Cameron Mitchell and a fantastic soundtrack.
November 15, 2014
A very interesting story....
½ October 18, 2014
Very charming, very easy to see why this is such an underground hit. For all of its humor and bluntness, it stays super grounded and sincere-- manages to never become kitschy -- which is really the charm of both the character and the movie.
June 8, 2014
Now that Neil Patrick Harris has us rediscovering what a grand play this is it may be time for us to rediscover what a terrific film it was.
May 10, 2014
Liked the music. Rest was kind of dull.
½ April 9, 2014
It's a shame how much of "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" gets lost in translation from stage to screen (particularly the heartbreaking metaphorical value of Hedwig and Tommy being played by the same actor), but that's ultimately a testament to how good this adaption really is. John Cameron Mitchell is absolutely electrifying in this tragic and beautiful rock-and-roll fable. The music is ridiculously great.
½ April 8, 2014
This film isn't just some crazy glam rock tribute, in fact its a musical with serious emotional substance. Probably one of the few times where the significant changes to the source material contributed to the success of the film adaptation.
March 11, 2014
It was all these years later I discovered Spinal Tap and The Rocky Horror Picture Show had a legitimate, bratty, moody child--sexually ambiguous and rocking wickedly hard.