Box Office Guru Wrapup: Moody Superheroes Rule the Box Office

Summary

Hellboy II: The Golden Army nudges Hancock out of first place while Murphy debuts as the summer's biggest flop. Back to Article

Comments

mariner fan

Lucas Rydell

Hellboy2 was good but the 1st one was better cant wait for the dark knight!!!!

Jul 13 - 04:10 PM

curtis

filmboy O'Bryant

WOW at Hancock. 600 millio WW is out of this world for a movie that is not based on a anything. Will You are a beast. Poor Wall E. looks like Adults was the only giving that film good WOM because alot of kids says it is to boring. that might explane its legs.

Jul 13 - 04:32 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I am glad HB II did good, it was really good and I cant wait for the 3rd one too bad it wont be out for another 4 years though... I am happy MEET DAVE did bad Eddie Murphy sucks now, maybe this will teach him to stop doing kids movies. Im also happy Wanted is doing really well since it was pretty cool, and a I wouldnt mind a trilogy. Cant wait til next friday OMG TDK is finnaly almost here! I feel bad that HB II will probably get crushed next weekend and every other movie I have liked this summer so far too, but hopefully HB II pulls in enough for a 3rd one which it needs!
Next weekend
The Dark Knight- 140 Million Total- 325 Million
Mamma Mia- 22 Million Total- 68 Milllion
HB II- 15 Million Total- 82 Million
Hancock- 10 Million Total- 225 Million

Jul 13 - 05:10 PM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

and lazy parenting might have something to do with that as well....

Jul 13 - 05:35 PM

zooman

Alex Reyes

yeah parents are lazy and evil and kids are stupid, I mean they dont get to be educated anymore by a mouse hitting a cat with a hammer and having to laugh of that as if it were the only joke relatable to them, or well theres also that one joke of a bunny getting dressed as a woman for a laugh..

and there were neat, if not extremely smart, disney movies that of course were not that competitive in the box office, but that just showed how much time parents spent with their children.

yep, those were smarter more caring times, I pity today's dumbing society....

Still, Wall E is a great movie, but it does lack a narrative that is made expressly for kids, and thatīs ok. Many kids still do like it, and it is doing more than pretty well for a movie that is not that commercially manufactured for kids and still plays in that market.

Jul 14 - 08:03 AM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Damn, i was hoping for at least a 45 mil opening for Hellboy. It sure as hell deserves at least that much. God did I have fun at that movie. GO SEE HELLBOY TO HOLD YOU OFF TILL THURSDAY NIGHT!

Jul 13 - 06:26 PM

nogard46

joe smith

its hard to come down on little kids not accepting Wall-e, there is no way any kid, I'm talking about under 18 can even begin to grasp the concept in Wall-e. I'm making generalization but have anyone whos met a kid thats experienced extreme loneliness? I'm talking about so lonely you are talking to yourself, or pretending to talk to people, so lonely it hurts? And you know any kid whos fallen so hard in love they follow them around, and would do anything to spend time with this person, including not eating, not sleeping?? And most kids have they seen an american landfill? have they seen how much waste we are already producing?

Kids got the movie they wanted to see this summer, and it was called Kung Fu Panda. I enjoyed KFP but it was very shallow and even the moral of the story seemed very flaky, almost nonexistent.

Wall-E is an instant classic, it will stand the test of time, along with other Sci Fi greats, 2001, ET, Bladerunner.

Jul 13 - 06:34 PM

Greg_Arious

Josh Cane

I like sci fi movies but HB2 was too much for me. I think it got such a high rating simply because of its director because there was nothing special about it. Eagerly awaiting TDK! If that lets me down Ill cry.

Jul 13 - 07:50 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Finally! Clear the way for the juggernaut that is TDK in only 3 days!!!.

My prediction for The Dark Knight:

OW - $130 million
Total - $350 million

Jul 13 - 07:59 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

Eddie, Eddie, Eddie...

WHAT IN RIGHTEOUS GREEN F#CK WERE YOU THINKING?!

I hold with my post on the other string- HB1 was better than 2. Kudos to big Willy for Hancock. In NO WAY a great movie, but fun just the same.

Jul 13 - 07:59 PM

wordweaver12

Afrika welang

Just the results I expected. As far as Hellboy is concerned, I won't exactly call 35 million "ruling the box office". For a big budget movie of that magnitude, that is a mighty disappointment. Expect Hellboy ticket sales to drop dramatically next week.

Jul 13 - 09:45 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

I agree wordweaver, Hellboy 2 box office was shocking to me

considering how great it was but hell we can't get too mad at the viewing

audience. For once they made Eddie Murphy suffer for making a horrible film,

perhaps they are making up for their cardinal sin {spending ten bucks on

Norbit ;)

Also, I'm wondering how the r.t. community is feeling about the possibility

of Iron Man losing the domestic box office title to Indy IV ? I know how

much everyone hated it and the fact it may pass arguably the best film of

the year seems very unsettling to me. Mind you, i didn't hate Indy IV but it

has no business being the highest grossing movie of the year. Well, even if

that does happen I hope a certain caped crusader saves the day by earning

well over a final domestic total of 315 million.

Jul 13 - 10:05 PM

CoUcH ToMaToE DoUgIe

Shawn Amoroso

It's really sad if kids think Wall*E was boring but director

Andrew Stanton will have the oscar at the end of the year to recognize his

second masterpiece{first one was Finding Nemo}. Also, I'm desperately rooting

Wall*E to pass Kung Fu Panda in the box office race. Both quality movies but

Wall*E deserves every title belt recognizing it as the best animated movie

and one of the top five movies of the year. Honestly, I don't its crazy to

say that for the second year in a row Pixar has made one of the top five

movies of the year! Can't wait for the best movie of the year premiering on

Friday!

Also, I'm wondering how the r.t. community is feeling about the possibility

of Iron Man losing the domestic box office title to Indy IV ? I know how

much everyone hated it and the fact it may pass arguably the best film of

the year seems very unsettling to me. Mind you, i didn't hate Indy IV but it

has no business being the highest grossing movie of the year. Well, even if

that does happen I hope a certain caped crusader saves the day by earning

well over a final domestic total of 315 million.

Jul 13 - 10:05 PM

Modano

T H

I really hope TDK passes every movie this year and makes lots of moolah, but I'm kinda worried. From the reviews, which are good, they seem to hint that this movie is not for kids. But hell, some dad posted earlier he was gonna take his 3 y/o to see it! Plus at 2.5 hrs, that takes away some showings each day. But there was also that story saying they had to open up 6am showings because they were selling out all the midnight ones. If it truly lives up to the hype, I'll be seeing it multiple times. The last time I did that was...Batman Begins!

Jul 13 - 10:49 PM

balanceman

Steve Baltich

I can't believe Hancock is grossing these kind of numbers. Not a good message to be sending the studios. How bad of a movie does Will Smith have to make before people will not see it? Even with terrible reviews he can still bank at the box office. He is a great actor though.

Very excited for the Dark Knight. Hope the movie lives up to the hype. Hope the action/fighting scenes are edited better this time. Nolan style of editing is very frustrating to watch.

Jul 14 - 01:17 AM

elliot_

elliot silva

sometimes we just can't go by the critics and u should know that! hancock is very funny! and definetly a great blockbuster movie! and not another sequel or something you already heard about! its not a classic but it really is an enjoyable movie to see with friends or family

Jul 14 - 04:04 AM

Craig Smith

TDK will open with $121 million

Jul 14 - 01:43 AM

elliot_

elliot silva

Jul 14 - 04:04 AM

Gimy

Gimy Moo

why WOULDN'T kids think walle is boring? it sucked. you nerds need to stop watching SH3T and saying "oooh, its artsy!". it sucked. get over it...

i might catch helloboy 2...i might not. really wasn't impressed with the first and if the first was "better"...not sure its worth seeing in the theater. rental...

Hancock proves you can still be a mediocre movie and sell. now Will, i dare you to do an Uwe Boll film. if THAAAAT flick would make over 100...it means Smith is the black jesus, cuz no way a normal guy can consistently sell bs THAT well...

saw Journey this weekend, wasn't too shabby. decent 3d flick...

Jul 14 - 06:00 AM

Laramy87

Darryl Laramy

Hellboy 2 was good... i thought it would have made a bit more than what it did oh well!!!!!

Dark Knight will beat last years Spiderman 3 opening weekend, and become the highest opening weekend movie ever

Jul 14 - 06:09 AM

zooman

Alex Reyes

am I the only one who got really bored by Hellboy 2 and its oh so annoyingly stupid line after line of dialogue that at least got to have a few cool looking things as visual background here and there? Dont get me wrong, Im happy it did decently in the box office, considering other box office successes, but I dont think it deserves more than that, and less so so much praise.

Jul 14 - 07:53 AM

zooman

Alex Reyes

yep, those were smarter more caring times, I pity today's dumbing society....

Jul 14 - 08:03 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast