Hello Down There - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hello Down There Reviews

September 5, 2010
This movie has an excellent cast and an interesting story, but it gets way too silly sometimes especially the songs. For the most part it's funny, though. Overall I enjoyed it, and if you like funny and interesting movies check it out.
½ January 31, 2009
"Little goldfish, where you going to? Little goldfish, let me swim along with you. Little goldfish, we could have a whale of a time. Doo-doo-doo Put your fin in mine. Doo-doo-doo..."

-Thanks to Hello Down There this goofy song has been stuck in my head since 1969!
August 6, 2007
Stupid, it's a shame to see talented performers trapped in junk like this!
½ May 20, 2007
comedy about family living in experimentaly underwater home..tony randall,janet leigh,richard dreyfuss
April 25, 2007
One of those great little films from the 60s with laughs and music. Tony Randell is a marine biologist who decides to move his family into their new house... underwater. At the same time, his kids are trying to cut a demo tape to make it big in the music business.
May 29, 2006
this was amovie with richard dryfuss as a youth that he and family live in aquadome back in 60s tony randall was the father family clean fun..
½ August 18, 2011
I loved this show when I was a kid. Just watched it again for the first time in at
least 30 years. It's lost a lot of the magic now that I am an adult, but was still
good to watch. The abrupt ending was very disappointing though.
½ October 25, 2010
Awful movies I love: "Hello Down There" with Tony Randall, Janet Leigh, Roddy McDowell and Richard Dreyfuss. Oh, and Ken Berry is the villain. The villain!
May 31, 2008
5.5/10. Silly and very corny 1960's comedy, but oddly likeable. The cast is good and so interesting to see a very young hippie Richard Dreyfuss. It plays like a Disney film from the era. Diverting.
May 23, 2005
[i]Hello, Down There[/i] is the sort of movie I really, really, really should love. It's an obscure film with an unbelievable plot, an all-star cast, garish colors, and '60s pop music by Jeff Berry, the man who wrote all the music for the Archies, directed by Jack Arnold, the man behind [i]This Island Earth[/i] and the amazing [i]High School Confidential[/i]. I'd been wanting to see it for years, but Paramount had essentially left it to rot in movie limbo--until now, when it suddenly shows up on DVD. Expectations may have been a little high, but still...

Look, I'll describe it. You'll see that, on paper, it sounds incredible.

Tony Randall and Janet Leigh play the parents of a brother and sister that play in "Harold and the Hang-Ups," a pop band headed by mop-haired Richard Dreyfuss. Randall's boss (Jim Backus!) has spent loads of money on Randall's latest engineering project, an underwater house with all the amenities, but isn't convinced that it will work, so he sends Randall's family down to live there for a month. They're joined by the band, but curiously, not their housekeeper, the constantly-drinking Myrtle, played by Charlotte Rae.

It's a good thing, too, because Myrtle's their only contact to the outside world when teen millionaire Roddy McDowall takes a shine to the Hang-Ups music thanks to his pop-sensation-reactor-computer and gets them a gig on the Merv Griffin show. Will the band make it to Merv in time? Will Janet Leigh overcome her fear of water to live underground? Will Randall's rival Ken Berry and his assistant Arnold Stang find gold underwater? And what about those sharks circling the underwater house?

There's loads about [i]Hello, Down There[/i] that should be instantly appealing. There's a pet seal and multiple dolphins floating around. There's a great pallette that consists only of prime colors which makes the thing look great on DVD. There's loads of goofy technology that makes the average "Jetsons" episode look well-researched. There's the all-star cast flopping around and tripping over themselves constantly. There's the Hang-Ups songs, which consists of ditties like "Glub, Glub, Glub/I'm floating on a sea of love."

Camp classic, right? Undiscovered knuckleheaded masterpiece, right?

Not quite. See, the jokes that are there aren't any good--there's not really a single genuinely witty gag in the entire film, and no matter how much overacting anyone in the cast does (which is plenty), they can't disguise that. Even worse, there's not enough lousy gags in the film--it's mostly the same ones repeated endlessly. It's stupid enough to make [i]Slam Dunk Ernest[/i] look like [i]Manhattan[/i], and most of the jokes just involve, well, people falling down. Usually into water. It's also got sub-plots that go nowhere, like a nearby navy submarine picking up sonar signals every time the band plays.

It still looks great, sure, and the music is fun--the first time you hear it. By the third rendering of "Glub, Glub, Glub," you're ready to go back to 1967, find Jeff Berry and strangle him until he promises not to write music for the next ten years. And while you're at it, make him promise not to write the "Family Ties" theme song.

In the end, the best thing I can say about [i]Hello, Down There[/i] is that it's a cheerfully optimistic, brilliantly garish piece of knuckleheaded tripe. I'm a big fan of enjoyable low-I.Q. movies, but this couldn't provide entertainment to Terry Schiavo, and at 97 minutes, it's way too long. In a sad, desperate way, it's enjoyable due to the cast, but it's really even too stupid for me. And that's pretty stupid.