Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II Reviews

February 2, 2011
Oh man, is this thing ever a mess. Even the title screams "what the hell are we doing?" It doesn't have anything to do with Prom Night at all (and believe me, I would know, for all the times I've watched that insipid glorious movie), but that doesn't stop it from shamelessly cribbing from every single other significant slasher ever released. Nightmare on Elm Street is an obvious point of reference, but there's plenty of Halloween in the mix too, and even some dashes of The Omen and Poltergeist for flavor! It's a manic cash grab, the deluded flailings of a studio trying to get its fingers on the pulse of what was successful in horror at the time, but the concoction this bit of film alchemy produced is nothing but a riot start to finish.

If you're looking for something to frighten you - nope, not even for a second. Prom Night II is over-illuminated, garish, and couldn't build up a scare if it was made out of Legos. If it's raw, guffaw-worthy entertainment you're after, though, this right here has it in spades. Wicked perversity, an evil rocking horse, the oldest person to portray a high schooler in a film ever, wildly inappropriate use of jazz standards...it just doesn't stop! There's never a dull moment to be seen, and if you don't mind a movie that completely fails at its original intentions only to produce something uniquely awful and hilarious, this is an absolute must.
November 2, 2010
A horrible sequel, it's corny/cheesy, the dialogue is lame and so is the horror. This is one movie to stay away from.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ March 21, 2011
If you're looking for the best Prom Night film, Hello Mary Lou is the one. As far as I'm concerned, the whole Prom Night franchise should've focused on the Mary Lou aspect. But it didn't, instead each film are different than the rest, and more often than not, don't succeed. Well Prom Night and this sequel are the best hands down.I thought this film was very effective in delivering the chills, and personally, it's my favorite in the series. The cast, I thought was awesome, especially Michael Ironside (a great talent). This delivered and honestly, I don't know why the filmmakers wouldn't focus on Mary Lou haunting the senior Prom for the rest of the series, I would've loved to see something like that. But this film is the most memorable of the series, this is the best of the Prom Night and the first one is second place.A must, you'll have a great time watching this one. Hello Mary Lou is a very cool horror film and I have to say, I think it's one of the best horror sequels. This story could have been explored further in other sequels, the third one does, but it fails to capture the chills and suspense of this film. This film put all the other films in the series. A fine horror film and definitely the best in the series. Hello Mary Lou emphasizes more on the scares and suspense this time around, and thus it succeeds in creating something that the first one lacked. The supernatural elements seem to work better than a straight forward slasher flick. Those who loved the first one will probably most likely love this entry as well. A fine, chilling horror film that will entertain the hell out of you. I also taught the ending was brilliant, Sorry won't say anything don't want to spoil it for ya!
½ June 9, 2007
Wicked fun with Mary Lou Maloney, Prom queen back from the dead for vengeance! A fun low-budget Canadian horror film, with dreamlike scenes to appeal to the Elm Street fans. It was well done. I like the red headed lead girl, who gets possessed by Mary Lou for a portion of the movie. This movie doesn't take itself too serious, which is a blessing.
iLeo
December 24, 2007
Amazing!
December 25, 2011
Not connected whatsoever to the original, Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II stands on it's own. It's a revenge story, just like the previous film had been only with a completely different back story. The first half of the movie is kind of crappy, with terrible acting and stupid killings, but once Mary Lou possesses the lead, the movie takes off and really feels like a classic 80s slasher film, though it's more supernatural than slasher. Still, an interesting view.
January 3, 2007
actually not a terrible movie though not the best ever.
Possible spoilers
I must say that it seemed to me that much of the movie was simply taken from other horror movies. Pulled the horse tongue, pulled through the blackboard, and the car ride at the end all remind me of nightmare on elm street. And as for the religious zealot mother who in the end decides her daughter is a whore as she plans to go to a dance, and the girl killing her mom with telekinetic powers, then being having her moment destroyed just as time to be crowned and as a result using her telekinetic powers to destroy the dance and kill some of those there was all very much out of carrie.
November 8, 2008
this is a creepy movie even if i wasnt scared half the time i jumped out the seat heading under my bed :D
May 6, 2008
September 26, 2007
good girl gone possessed wendy lyon's performace is suprisingly good. lame death after lame death thrown in with funny sacrasm and incest make this amust see
October 14, 2006
For some reason or another I just really like this movie. Probably since I got to watch it as a child. Pure 80's horror.
October 31, 2006
This ones not so clearly related to the original PROM NIGHT....Its more like a distant cousin of NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET. Pretty amusing though: Funny, scarey, gross, kinky....Worth a watch. You gotta love the rocking horse and the locker room squoosh!
April 17, 2006
One of the first horror films I ever remember seeing. I remember I couldn't sleep for days. I was like 5 or 6 years old. But I'm sure it's stupid, so therefore, two stars. Whatever. No one's going to read this review anyway, nor are is anyone ever going to watch this movie again in my lifetime, so I can pretty much say anything I want to. Like Michael Ironside RULES!
½ May 12, 2012
Prom Night II is actually pretty good. It's not meant to be taken seriously, and if you're watching it just to have a good time, it certainly won't disappoint. It plays almost like a really long "Tales from the Crypt" episode. If you're into campy and cheesy horror, then I definitely recommend it. It's not quite as good the original Prom Night (IMO), but it wasn't trying to be. It's successful at giving it's audience some good entertainment, some laughs, and even a few scares. It has a few quirky one-liners, and the characters are very fleshed out (especially Kelley). It can drag a little sometimes, but it's never totally boring, nor does it take itself too seriously. It knows it's cheesy and campy, and has fun with it, and also pays homage to many classic horror films (Carrie, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, and even the original Prom Night). One thing this film does have over the original Prom Night are it's characters. The only actor you might recognize is Michael Ironside, but the cast does a great job bringing their characters to life in a fun and memorable way. I felt the characters in the original Prom Night were too flat, and unoriginal (with a couple exceptions). The special effects are also very well done. While the original Prom Night was more of a slasher, this film is definitely on the supernatural side given it's themes, and main plot. I'm impressed at what this film was able to accomplish, given what it had to work with. Overall, this was an enjoyable film, as long as you don't take it too seriously, and just sit back and watch. However if you're expecting high art, you'll definitely want to look elsewhere.
August 6, 2015
Really fun and entertaining 80's slasher. Highly recommended.
August 15, 2014
Way better than the original sequel goes in a nightmare on elm street direction, inventive camera work fast plotting and a good element of sleaze gore and old school makeup and prothetics make this a film to check out
July 25, 2013
been 4 years since i saw this lol
July 10, 2013
bout to watch my favorite classic movie prom night 2
Joa
June 22, 2013
So bad it's good! lol
½ November 1, 2009
Hello Mary Lou 2 is cheap, forgettable entertainment. The film lacks originality and settles for a formulaic plot.