New Hellraiser Details Revealed

Summary

Patrick Lussier and Todd Farmer discussed the new "Hellraiser" during a recent interview, revealing they're keeping the story "within the world of the box." Back to Article

Comments

CFM

'schak Attack

They should make it PG to appeal to the masses.

Feb 25 - 09:04 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

God damnit.
What is it with horror movies and making a billion sequels or remakes or prequels? Here is why the majority of them are garbage
1) A well constructed plot has a beginning and end. it has events that lead to the end and, if done right, can be the only causes for the outcome. Sequels that weren't intended to happen add on to this well groomed story like lice. They are like the third wheel on your date. They just latch on instead of being fully integrated. That is to say if the original movie was even good, but a lot of classic horrors are. Why Lord of the Rings is great is because it was intended to be a trilogy. This is why Paranormal Activity was good and the second wasn't that great. Same with Blair Witch. Toy Story is one of the rare trilogies where, from what we know, it was only supposed to be one movie but all three ended up being great. That's Pixar for you. Not every company is Pixar.
2) If you have a fear of spiders, what's one way to not be scared of them anymore? Seeing them more and more. Getting used to their presence. Hence, horror sequels are not going to scare us no matter how much gorier they are, because they're reintroducing the same concepts and thus we get used to them.
3) How many times can we be entertained with people being killed? We meet the characters in the first movie and we get attached to them. We see some get killed and it upsets us since we may have liked them. Having many characters being thrown at us for us to like all over again is a bloody tedious process. None of us want to do it. When Jigsaw died in the Saw bazilogy, how many of us really cared after that? I mean, how many cared after the first movie is another question, but really, are we going to care for all of these people in traps that we don't even know? I personally think the second was the best because it played a bit like Agatha Christie's "and then there were none": People you got to know when you shared a room with them as they were being killed. But seriously, this is a big hindrance when it comes to character development

and finally

4) Most modern horrors aren't really that inventive, considering most are remakes or sequels. Most really do not care for that. We want something new, not something reanimated (zombie joke intended). The Fly gave us something new. The Exorcist gave us something new. The ORIGINAL Hellraiser gave us something new. For recent movies, 28 Days Later gave us something new. We want something new, not milked and killed.

Feb 25 - 10:22 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

When you are talking about The Fly are you referring to the original or the remake?

Feb 25 - 11:21 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

To be honest, both in away. I mean, Cronenberg's Fly is a remake but they were still quite different from one another. I see them both as different and new in their own ways.

Feb 25 - 11:30 AM

anDy

Andreas Babs

I guess that's one of the few times a remake was done right I guess =P

Feb 25 - 11:30 AM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Thats why I'm not 100% against remakes. Every once in a while you get a good one. The Thing was another great remake. The Karate Kid was another.

Feb 25 - 02:42 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Dude, I fucking love you.

Feb 26 - 12:26 PM

anDy

Andreas Babs

I guess that's one of the few times a remake was done right I guess =P

Feb 25 - 11:30 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

There is very little mystery, anDy. Horror movies are cheap ie low-risk, marketable with young good-lookings, and tend to make their smallish budget back, if not double or triple. Final Destination, Saw, Grunge, Paranormal Activity, others?

As long as the high-school and college sub-sections keep paying to see hot co-ed get slashed, the studios will keep giving them what they keep paying to see. Nay, very little mystery.

Feb 25 - 01:01 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I really don't think PA belongs in that catagory.

Feb 25 - 02:44 PM

Dave J

Dave J

If Clive Barker's not involved since these are originally his films then they can take this remake and stick it!

Feb 25 - 01:44 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

If this resembles anything remotely related to the sypnosis released awhile back, it will suck just as, if not worse, than all the other sequels.

Feb 25 - 01:52 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

Feb 25 - 02:42 PM

dethburger

dethburger hates Flixster

I really don't think PA belongs in that catagory.

Feb 25 - 02:44 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Dude, I fucking love you.

Feb 26 - 12:26 PM

Jeff K.

Jeff Kinnamon

Pretty big talk about it being rated R but I don't buy it. This thing stinks of PG-13.

Feb 26 - 06:19 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 250 Comic-Con Costumes!

Critics Consensus