Henry VIII - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Henry VIII Reviews

jjnxn
½ April 17, 2010
Good production design and fine performances but the story is too vast to be told in three hours. Stick with the 70's English miniseries starring Keith Michell instead.
November 9, 2008
1509 through 1547. Incredible 38 years of reign! I can not believe this King went through 6 wives to produce an heir to the thrown, and has one son who ends up dying at age 15! Great history!
October 3, 2014
I liked it! Have seen all Henry VIII movies one of my favorites! Had a very real feel to it.
jjnxn
½ April 17, 2010
July 31, 2011
Very well cast. Ray Winstone is one of the better Henry VIII'S. Was good in that it had a good storyline which did not depart too much from the historical truth.
January 12, 2011
Brilliant. Never got boring even after 3 and a half hours!!
½ February 10, 2010
my favorite version of this messy story
November 22, 2009
I loved Helena Bonham Carter in this, her beheading was a built up to a dramatic shock, her speech was so very professional...Emily Blunt was also very good in this too and her beheading made you feel so sad for her because she was just so young.
½ August 22, 2009
Shame Ray Winstone can't do accents other than his native London but he still delivered a very good performance in the title role. Charles Dance, Helena Bonham Carter, Emilia fox, David Suchet, Mark Strong and Emily Blunt also very good and added to the strength of the film.
½ July 25, 2009
how did he survive 38 yrs?
March 27, 2009
It's almost the same as "The Other Boleyn Girl" . I like English history so I like it too
moviebuffgirl
March 21, 2009
?Before you can become successful as a king, you first have to be successful as a man.?

And with that, King Henry VIII of England died, leaving his country with a twelve year old king, his son with Jane Seymour, Edward. Before his death, he had changed the face of England with his creation of the Anglican Church in his attempt to disassociate himself with the Vatican when they didn?t give him the divorce he wanted.
The moment I saw this movie at the very bottom of the pile of DVDs for sale at my local video store, I was elated. I have loved the story of the Tudor monarchs since I was little, and to have a movie about them (and on sale, no less) seemed like a blessing. I only hoped that this Ray Winstone (back then, I had no inkling of who this actor was) would be able to portray a believable King Henry VIII.
The movie starts off with King Henry VII on his deathbed, handing over his throne to his son, Henry. Before he does, he asks his son what are the things he should do in order to be called a good king. Reinforce the treaties with Spain (in order to comply with this, Henry marries his brother?s widow, Princess Catherine of Aragon), raise the taxes of the nobles, and expand the territories of England were some of the plans Henry had, but his father added a premise which would consummate most of his life: father a son and ensure the progress of their family line.
Years later we see Henry, now King Henry VIII (Ray Winstone: Sexy Beast, King Arthur, Beowulf ), a notorious womanizer, receiving news that he has a son with another woman. His wife, Queen Catherine of Aragon (Assumpta Serna: The Craft ) has failed to give him the son he longs for ? most of the sons she bore him were stillbirths. During one of the blessing ceremonies where he has to consider the different couples who plan to marry, he meets Percy of Northumberland, the son of the richest man in the county, and his fiancée, Anne Boleyn (Helena Bonham Carter: Fight Club, Sweeney Todd, Merlin ), the daughter of a knight. Henry is instantly smitten by Anne, and the fact that her sister, Mary, carries his child means nothing to him. He instructs his prime minister to find a way wherein Percy and Anne wouldn?t marry, so that he could be free to pursue Anne himself.
The events that follow lead to the trial of the original Queen and the formation of the Anglican Church, the death of Anne Boleyn, and his marriages with four more women: Jane Seymour (Emilia Fox: Keeping Mum ), Anne of Cleves (a German princess who outlived all the other wives), Catherine Howard (Emily Blunt: The Devil Wears Prada, The Young Victoria ; Anne?s younger cousin who had an affair with a younger member of King Henry?s council), and Catherine Parr (she was originally betrothed to Thomas Seymour).
The entire movie was breath-taking, the costumes were lovely, and the actors fit into their roles perfectly. Winstone was the perfect image for the powerful, womanizer who ruthlessly dispensed his enemies and friends when he didn?t get what he wanted (which was usually a woman), Carter contributed her ethereal beauty to Anne Boleyn, and it was easy for us to see why King Henry VIII was enraptured by her. Even Sean Bean had a bit part in the movie, as the soldier who dared to defy the king openly in defense of the monks and nuns who were being attacked and their treasures ransacked in order to fill the treasuries of the king. I was surprised to learn that the Flixster movie base didn?t have a record of this movie, which was why I quickly submitted a record of this. This is a movie that clearly shows the events in the life of King Henry VIII, and with a roster of talented British actors, it delivers a knockout in terms of acting and how they carry the story along. All eyes turn to Winstone as the main driving force, and he steers clear of awkward moments; you can feel his longing for a son, his obvious love for Anne Boleyn and his grief at her death (although the irony is still there: if he loves her, why would he put her through a trial which would undoubtedly lead to her death sentence?), and his passion.
Not exactly a classic, but a movie one would surely enjoy.
March 1, 2009
I rewatched this the other night to compare with The Tudors. For a made for TV production it is actually very good, although the picture quality lets it down a bit. Ray Winstone sort of grows into the role of Henry VIII as the film progresses. I had trouble taking him seriously in the very early part of the film, but as he ages and balloons up in size he becomes completely believable. The wives are all pretty good in their roles and Sean Bean plays a fine Sean Bean. Leeds Castle in Kent makes a fine backdrop to several of the scenes. It looks like Dover Castle or maybe Bamburgh and some painted in bits standing in for Tower of London. I assume that clearing the tourists out of the way there and at Hampton Court fell into the too hard box.
February 25, 2009
An impressive cast heads up this tale of Henry VIII (played here by Ray Winstone) and his endless succession of wives. His ascension to the throne occurred at the tender age of 17, and lasted for an incredible 38 year tenure. His voracious sexual appetite saw a tremendous array of wives come and go, including Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn (Helena Bonham Carter), Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard (Emily Blunt), and Katherine Parr. Told here, the gripping tale is one of drama, tragedy, and history, and is unlikely to be forgotten for Centuries to come.
February 7, 2009
I really like history, and the story about Henry VIII is one of the most intresting kings in England. He changed the entire countrys religion for the love of a woman..
January 4, 2009
All I want to say about this movie can be summarized in four words: Ray Winstone is brilliant!
December 30, 2008
For part 1, "Anne of a Thousand Days" is a better movie
November 26, 2008
es sencillamente una de las mas completas e inteligentes verciones de Henry VIII
½ November 25, 2008
I love the story of the Tudors & King Henry. This is definately a must for anyone who wants to know a little more about the other 4 wives of King Henry. The first disc follows Henry from childhood to the days of Catherine of Aragon & Anne Boelyn. The second disc continues the story through to his death. A outstanding performance by Emily Blunt. She doesn't have a large role but shines in the role she is given.
November 9, 2008