Herb & Dorothy Reviews

½ August 8, 2013
A truly unbelievable story.
September 6, 2013
I wonder how many more Herb and Dorthy's there are around the word!
½ March 19, 2013
A not-so wonderful documentary on the wonderful couple, pushing a wonderful theme
½ February 24, 2013
This is a great documentary about art and art collecting that takes place outside of the soulless machine that is the New York-created Art Scene. Somehow, this couple manages to exist alongside "the scene," choosing to focus on art and artists rather than on art as a commodity. One could say they are "in" the scene, but not "of" it. Not only does this documentary have a message to give about art being for art's sake, Herb and Dorothy present a wonderful example of a lasting marriage that draws upon its strength to give back to the world. They remind me of Vonnegut's karass of two. This documentary is about their wampeter.
February 3, 2013
Great documentary if you like NYC A couple of eccentric art collectors held my interest throught this film.
October 24, 2012
An interesting and reassuring documentary about dedication, about a couple whose single minded devotion to enjoying and understanding art helped create a massive collection of art that is now freely available for the masses to enjoy. The documentary balances story telling with a panoply of their collection as well as curious interactions with artists. The film makes you stop and think about what the word 'ordinary' really means - Dorothy's comment on why they chose to give their collection to NGA is a very interesting insight into their democratic approach to art.
March 1, 2012
awesome doc they have an asthetic eye-makes me envious.
January 24, 2012
A must see for all art lovers! The Vogels are just plain beautiful people.
rubystevens
½ December 26, 2010
a quirky doc about a new york couple who amassed one of the most impressive collections of contemporary art in america, on the salaries of a librarian and a postal worker. the vogels were compulsive collectors who filled every inch of their small apartment with works purchased from artists they found interesting, before anyone else found them interesting. i had to wonder how they kept their numerous cats from destroying any of their precious works. it's a good thing they never had children! blessed with a good eye and a passion for art, the vogels, once frustrated painters themselves, never dreamed of selling even a single piece, eventually donating it all to the national gallery in washington, so the collection could remain intact and as a gift to the american people. after all, they were public employees all their working lives. they're an adorable couple and much beloved in the new york art world. and they visit their collection once a year.
January 15, 2011
The Vogels were a good subject for a documentary, but the film itself was amateurish. It felt like I was watching someone's home movie, shot in 4:3 on an old camcorder. The filmmaker made an attempt at breaking the story into chapters, but it felt convoluted. Nonetheless, I was glad this film was made as I wouldn't have heard of the Vogels otherwise.
July 25, 2010
Bom Documentário. Apaixonante o casal de velhinhos apaixonados por Arte Contemporânea.
½ January 2, 2010
Herb and Dorothy have inspired me to crumple up a piece of paper and call myself an artist. It amazes me that 2 people could spend their whole lives collecting crap that they actually believe has value. And others believe it too!! WOW.
If you could only see yourselves through my eyes and others like me from the real world. I'm going to go take a dump now because I'm an artist.
½ December 18, 2009
Herb & Dorothy are an elderly couple who have quietly over 4 decades gathered one of the largest minimalist art collections in the country. They are charming together and their passion for art shows when they talk about it. That being said, when the Vogels were off screen, I didn?t care. The other people in the film were boring and uninteresting and were given far too much screen time. The film is also too long for what they needed to say. Call it Herb & Dorothy, make it only about Herb & Dorothy, and turn it into a 15 minute news program segment, then we will all be happy. Otherwise, I'd say skip this one.
August 14, 2009
Engaging and quirky doc about a couple who spends their extra income on artwork - so much that they have no room in their NYC apartment for anything but a bed, a kitchen table, and a refrigerator. Herb and Dorothy are two very sweet and engaging people, loved in NYC art circles, and deservedly so. A Wonderful look inside the artworld for novices like us.
July 11, 2009
YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 12, 2009
Maybe if I hear anything good about it.