Herbie Rides Again (1974)
Average Rating: 6.2/10
Reviews Counted: 5
Fresh: 4 | Rotten: 1
No consensus yet.
Release Date: Jun 6, 1974 Wide
Average Rating: 2.9/5
User Ratings: 25,672
Herbie Rides Again is the first sequel to Disney's fabulously successful The Love Bug. The emphasis here is on Mrs. Steinmetz (Helen Hayes), a feisty old San Franciscan who refuses to sell her home to conniving developer Alonzo Hawk (Keenan Wynn). Hawk's nephew, lawyer Willoughby Whitfield (Ken Berry), joins Mrs. Steinmetz's camp when he falls in love with her niece Nicole (Stefanie Powers). (This, of course, is after Nicole angrily slaps Willoughby with a boiled lobster, sending him plummeting
Jun 6, 1974 Wide
May 4, 2004
Richard X. Slattery
Latest News on Herbie Rides Again
June 23, 2005:Critical Consensus: Zombies and Witches and Cars, Oh My!
This week?s three wide releases have some things in common: they?re all updates of stuff we?ve seen...
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
Audience Reviews for Herbie Rides Again
- Willoughby Whitfield: Good morning, Miss Milicent.
- Secretary: Good morning.
- Willoughby Whitfield: Mrs. Steinmeintz!
- Secretary: I told you that Mr. Hawk was busy.
- Alonzo Hawk: (He's in Rome; he sees the Coliseum) What a location.
- Taxi Driver: Ah, see, the mighty Coliseum. The Glory of Rome. Doesn't stir your imagination?
- Alonzo Hawk: You bet it does, baby. Do you realize what a shopping center we can put up there? Plenty of parking, too.
- Alonzo Hawk: (being stopped by a policeman in traffic) The traffic commissioner shall hear of this!
- Traffic Commissioner: I *am* the commissioner.
- Alonzo Hawk: Then what are you doing in that monkey suit? A traffic commissioner would dress in dignified clothes.
- Traffic Commissioner: This happen to be my dress uniform. I was on my way to the ceremony for I Am A Policeman Day.
- Secretary: I'm sorry, Mr. Hawk. I called the motel but they said that your nephew checked out.
- Alonzo Hawk: (angrily) What do you mean he's checked out? When? Where? Who told him that he could check out? How dare that he disappear when he knows that I'm worried sick? I'll tear his chicken-livered gizzard to pieces! I'll stomp him silly! I'll take this letter knife, and I'll stab that kid right in his ungrateful breastbone! You know me Millicent, normally I'm a kindly, fun-loving fellow! But when I get crossed...
- Alonzo Hawk: (weakly, slumping down at the desk)
- Alonzo Hawk: I go bananas.
- Willoughby Whitfield: Please, Miss Harris, I can't believe that Uncle Alonzo would do things like that.
- Nicole: Wait a minute! Uncle? He's your uncle?
- Willoughby Whitfield: Yes. That's what I've been trying to tell...
- Nicole: You rotten spy!
- Nicole: (takes a lobster from the waiter's tray and smacks Willoughby, knocking him over the railing and into the water)
- Mrs. Steinmetz: Oh, Nicole, I want you to meet a gentleman from Mr. Hawk.
- Nicole: How do you do?
- Nicole: (punches Willoughby in the jaw, knocking him to the ground)
Discuss Herbie Rides Again on our Movie forum!