Here

100% Hannibal: Season 2
96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Here Reviews

September 6, 2012
Question: When was the last time you looked through the view finder of a camera and had to physically focus the lens? Depending on the type of lens (wide-angle, telephoto, fixed, marco or fish-eye) focusing on something can take some work, dedication. It could be the smallest detail or the expanse of sunset over the mountains and bringing it into focus is up for interpretation. The type of person who is looking through the lens and what they really want to view can affect what is seen. We all see things differently; interpret the world through our own lenses.

We go through this world [alone] observing, learning and deciphering what we see to make it fit into our viewpoints. However, there are moments in our lives when paths cross and we begin to see the world from a different perspective. Those are the moments truly worth living for because experiencing life with a different mindset is scary and exhilarating all at the same time. That is living!

I just finished watching a film on Netflix: Here. The film stars Ben Foster and Lubna Azabal with narration by Peter Coyote. The two main characters represent how people see and live in the world oppositely from the other. Ben Foster is a cartographer; his livelihood depends on precision and measurement - an exact science to viewing the world. While Lubna Azabal plays an art photographer who looks through a lens to see beauty of vastness uncertainty. She can still see a detail but is always just a part of something grander.

The story tells the time when these two meet in Armenia. He is American and she is an expatriate from Armenia. The film is catagorized as a romance and drama but to me the story was a slice of life when two strangers meet and experience life together. There isn't a lot to tell about the story in Here and I wouldn't talk about it anyway. However, there are suggestions, hints or it could just be my over-active imagination always seeking for nuances in film. It kept me engaged despite being a relatively slow paced story. I don't particularly like saying "slow paced" because I fear that might turn some off. Don't worry, Here is worth watching/experiencing.

The acting by the two leads was authentic to the core. It never felt rehearsed or improvised with the actors being told - "act this way, or pretend that..." Ben Foster portrayed a quiet fellow with something hidden that I wanted to figure out. Lubna Azabal also intrigued me with her ambiguity. Did I ever find out? Not going to say as you should find out for yourselves. Nonetheless, Here displayed two opposing viewpoints of the world and how they comingle for a brief time. Precision vs. indefinite; Science vs. art; Control vs. freedom.

One thing I will mention about the film: there are stunning views of Armenia. I am not very familiar with that particular country and it was a pleasure to view the countryside, cities and one specific area that I want to go to someday. It was breathtaking. And the score was perfectly juxtaposed with the softness and subtly of the story. Lovely.

My favorite thing: One specific speech that Ben Foster gives. And the narration between the acts gave even more depth to the story of the two opposing modes of thought. Brilliant. Oh, there is one more thing - at the very end - a gift left for her.

My least favorite thing: Someone got sick and I have a weak stomach - just can't handle that.

Directed by Braden King, Truckstop Media, 2011

Written by Lars Kundsen & Braden King.

Starring: Ben Foster, Lubna Azabal and Peter Coyote.

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Romance

Rating: NR
Length: 126 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10

August 2, 2013
"Here" is Armenia where Will Shepard(Ben Foster) has come to map the country but has trouble ordering an omelette. That's where Gadarine(Lubna Azabal) comes in. She is just back from Paris where she studied photography and whose return her brother Krikor(Narek Nersisyan) is more than ambivalent about. By coincidence or this being a very small country, Gadarine and Will meet again at a reception. After which, she agrees to accompany him on his work around the country, even after being warned away from the eastern border.

"Here" is a fine example of sparse and meditative filmmaking, whose deliberate pace often allows the scenery to do the talking for it. What we find is a country that while lacking amenities like basic scheduled transportation has a valuable commodity in a friendly population.(No wonder Gadarine has mixed feelings on her return.) In this day and age, it is kind of amazing that somebody could literally go off the map and find themselves in a situation where nobody speaks English. And yes, the interludes are kind of pretentious but I could listen to Peter Coyote read the phone book all day, so no complaints here.
Christopher H

April 15, 2012
"Here" embodies its subject by delivering breathtaking scenery as a backdrop for passion in the unlikeliest of places. Ben Foster takes a step away from his Hollywood films and proves why he will stand the test of time as an actor, with a subtle and powerful performance as a lowly land surveyor traveling the roads of Armenia. Here (no punned intended), he crosses paths with a photographer, Gadarine (Lubna Azabal). Azabal is a talented and attractive Belgian actress who easily becomes the object of affection with her ability to look gorgeous even when angry or sad. Foster and Azabal's chemistry is undeniable, delivering the perfect antiquated love story, with emotions bubbling over, even through the heartfelt conclusion. The real star of the film, however, is the cinematography, which displays both a wide view of beautiful landscapes and a close and intimate view of the two lovers, traveling the countryside. "Here" is a labor of love, and in the process, produces something original and fresh, all while striking the same similar chords that we're accustomed to in a dramatic love story such as this.
iLeo
iLeo

February 15, 2013
An interesting film that follows an American satellite-mapping engineer traveling through the beautiful terrains of Armenia who meets Gadarine, a young nomadic photographer. Together, the two embark on an adventure marked with self-discovery, blossoming love, and a bond that has them wondering what to do next.
jjb3332003
May 5, 2013
This film is long and slow, and many people don't like it. But if you can get past that, you may find a beautiful piece of cinematography and a true work of art.
August 10, 2012
The film follows a relationship between a foreigner plotting satellite maps and a Armenian that shows how their relationship evolves through mistrust to eventually end when he leaves the country. It made me want to visit Armenia, when its former communist beauty was shown without restraint. Very realistic.

August 2, 2013

April 18, 2012
Really interesting cinematography.
November 18, 2012
2 hours of pure tedium.
Christopher H

April 15, 2012
November 5, 2012
Decent film,a little slow at times,good acting and cinematography
July 1, 2011
It becomes highly affecting, concerned both with the limits of mapping a landscape and with lovers' difficulties in navigating each other.

September 6, 2012

Directed by Braden King, Truckstop Media, 2011

Written by Lars Kundsen & Braden King.

Starring: Ben Foster, Lubna Azabal and Peter Coyote.

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Romance

Rating: NR
Length: 126 minutes

Review: 7 out of 10
July 29, 2012
A compelling story of a brief romance that never really gets the chance to grow because of bad timing and location problems, which is probably what helps to create the intensity, longing and tension between these two lovers. I did not find Armenia to be " gorgeous" as other reviewers state. I thought it was not gorgeous at all, unfortunately. Both lead actors were wonderful and real, as well as the whole Armenian population of the film. No Kim-Kardashian types---these are TRUE Armenians, with fabulously ethnic looks. Some esoteric narration confuses a bit, but just makes it feel more indie....turned me on to a great band also: Califone. If you like Modest Mouse, Mumford & Sons and/or Dave Matthews, you'll love these guys.
July 27, 2012
Cam lung dar Foster e bine
July 26, 2012
Lovely story set in in lush landscapes which aren't familiar to most Americans. Both leads are fiercely independent but human at the same time.
April 13, 2012
There's noting to hate about the movie. But there isn't too much to like. A case of "too smart for it's own good." The principle love story doesn't really develop well enough for us to care. However it is visually stunning and full of soul. It's never a good sign when the side characters outshine the main characters.
Chris S.
November 14, 2011
What initially attracted me to Here was Ben Foster being involved. I remember watching "Flash Forward" when I was in seventh grade and even though I can't remember much about the series, it must've made a long-lasting impression on me because I've followed Foster's acting career fairly closely ever since. But Here was a bit of a gamble since I wasn't familiar with anyone else in the cast (even though Lubna Azabal was also in Coriolanus, which I saw earlier the same evening) and Braden King was a director I was completely unfamiliar with. In the end, Here isn't exactly a film that demands to be seen but is still able to pique your interest at times if you find yourself watching it.

Will Shepard (Foster) is a cartographer who currently finds himself in Armenia. He drives all over the country for his work and eventually crosses paths with a photographer named Gadarine (Azabal). They feel connected to one another right from the start and eventually start travelling together. A relationship of sorts develops and while the two of them thoroughly enjoy the company of one another life steps in to take them in opposite directions. Both Will and Gadarine find themselves at a crossroads and must decide where to go from Here.

Here is full of some absolutely breathtaking scenery. It was actually shot on location in Armenia and the country is almost overly-beautiful. Everything is so lush and green. It's almost overwhelming. You'll also notice the film's prominent use of long shots. Most of them take place in the middle of nowhere, are roaming shots, and usually slowly rotate in a nearly 360 degree angle. It gives you this sense of what's going on in this world around the actors rather than what's just transpiring during their story.

The most intriguing aspect of Here is that every so often it takes a time out from telling Will and Gabadine's story while a narrator steps in (Peter Coyote) and talks over some rather abstract visuals that include shots of nature and city life. The narrated scenes are written really well and it just took me back to the more abstract animated shorts that Chuck Jones did (Now Hear This, The Dot and the Line) back in the sixties. The Tree of Life almost comes to mind, but Here doesn't have half a dozen storylines competing for your attention and doesn't feel nearly as pretentious as The Tree of Life did. Into the Wild is probably the most obvious comparison, but I was left thinking of a Joseph Gordon-Levitt film not many people saw called Uncertainty. The films aren't even all that similar, but both films take something like a character study and make it more important than the actual storyline.

Here is a pretty unique experience. It's not the typical type of film that acts like it demands your attention, but is a journey you won't regret taking when it's over. Conceptual ideas are interjected amongst a blossoming and intimate love story. Everything the story stands for rides on the last few precious moments of the film, which takes something so simple and gives this incredible meaning to it. Here comes off as more of a traveling journal or moving photo album rather than the typical story driven cinematic fare.