—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Here Comes the Boom Reviews

Al S

June 19, 2013
A wonderful and great surprise. A hilarious and wickedly enjoyable comedy that's filled with action and heart. Kevin James wins by a knockout in this one. Henry Winkler is terrific. Baz Rutton is a blast to watch. A tremendously enjoyable and immensely watchable comedy that works on any level. Its nothing but a good time from start to finish.
Anthony L

June 6, 2013
Here comes the Boom is fairly harmless unless you take it too seriously but I'm not sure why you would. It's perhaps a little unfair to teachers but the three leads are played by extremely likable actors and the film does have its moments, I chuckled a couple of times in fact. It's a silly idea and I don't like the way everything seems to be solved by fighting or winning for that matter but like I said, best not to take it too seriously. It's got Henry Winkler in it and that will do nicely.
Albert K

March 17, 2013
"Here Comes the Boom" takes no risks whatsoever. The humor doesn't connect and the story is lacking. But you know what? It's a fun time all because of the lovable presence of Kevin James and the humorous Bas Rutten. "Here Comes the Boom" won't leave a lasting impression on your mind, but it's an enjoyable time at the movies.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 11, 2011
Here Comes the Boom was a film that I knew my low expectations would be met with no disappointments. I mean, I like Kevin James. I think he's a pretty funny guy. I even took notice to his more slender built. He must have physically worked hard for this role. But it seems like every Kevin James film or Adam Sandler film there is all of these recycled actors in the mix. The films are basically made up of other actors they are friends with. You get a new face here and there, but it's mostly the same cast in every film. I guess it's nice of them to give them roles to keep them employed. But it gets a bit old. So does these unfunny films. I liked that they gave notice to how important the music is in schools. But all of the rest was farfetched. I laughed a couple times, but still the film fell flat. I only even watched it because my nephew loves Kevin Smith (He's obsessed with that damn mall movie he's in). It's not something I would see again unless I caught it on T.V. Well that and if my nephew begs me. I can't say no to him. He is my kryptonite.
Jason S

February 23, 2013
I sat down and watched this one with the wife and we both really enjoyed it. It's not breaking any new ground in story telling but the characters are likable and there are some really funny moments. Kevin James does a really good job playing a teacher who seems to have lost his excitement for his job and we get to see him regain it. I like that his character is a likable guy and someone that you could look up to because he's a good guy and not just because he's the main character. We don't have those in comedies very often anymore. I also like that this is a film I would be fine with letting my kids watch. The fighting isn't too violent and there are no crude moments to be found.I recommend this one.
Cynthia S

February 19, 2013
Finally, a good Kevin James movie (it's been a while). Very enjoyable. This is what a good comedy should be! It was hilarious, it was CLEAN, heartfelt, and left me with a very good feeling. Kudos!
Phil H

February 10, 2013
What can I say about this film, is it a comedy? an emotional rollercoaster? it stars funnyman Kevin James so it must be a comedy. Well it starts off as a comedy sure but as the plot unfolds and we near the crux of the matter it becomes much more like a small drama. Its a strange beast really which didn't really sit well with me, let me explain why.

My first impressions of the film were two things, firstly it just seems like an excuse to make another film around MMA and the UFC. Secondly, Kevin James has always had a slight weight issue as I'm sure you all know. This whole idea just seems like a chance for him to lose some excess weight, gain some muscle, look good and basically get healthy whilst being paid to make a film. Now call me cynical but that's how I see it because I will admit James looks good in the final fight sequences.

A reason I think this is because the story is completely stupid. A school in dire financial straits needs to make cut backs which means the music department will go. This means Henry Winkler's character will lose his job, so up steps James's character to try and save his job by raising the money required. Doesn't sound too bad so far, but wait! James's character wisely decides to become a mixed martial arts fighter despite the fact he's overweight and way into middle age, hmmmmmm might wanna think about that.

The whole premise is just absurd, for a dumb comedy it maybe passable but this film actually tries to be semi serious. Even though James's character decides to commit suicide in the ring to try and save Winkler's job, it takes Winkler's character until the last ten minutes of the film to try and stop James's character from killing himself just to save his job!. You'd think from the start Winkler's character would feel a bit awkward knowing that his best friend is being beaten to crap on a semi regular basis just to save his job.

I guess if you follow UFC then you'll get a kick outta this, there are many various folk from the 'sport' that make cameos and have roles, if you don't follow then they could be anyone. Well you can tell who the real MMA/UFC folk are because they can't act, dress rather camp (can I say that?), have poor tribal tattoo's and wear bling.

In the end this just seems way too much like a comfy personal get fit dream project for James. Two of the main characters are from 'King of Queens' for heavens sake (not including James), James is absolutely covered in tan makeup to make him look good both in fight sequences and regular scenes and the film clearly goes from comedy to serious fighting for James midway through.

Its like 'School of Rock' which slowly morphs into 'The Karate Kid' (because you know what's gonna happen) and then finally goes into 'Rocky' towards the end. The fun aspect goes out the window as James heads into serious mode which actually doesn't suit him. The emotion towards the end is so forced it makes you wanna look away from the screen. I think James should stick to TV because even though I like the guy he hasn't made a single decent film I think, 'Mall Cop' was amusing in parts but that's it. This film doesn't really know what it wants to be but if James wants to continue making films then he should stick to funny ones.
Luke B

February 3, 2013
I was fully expecting to hate this film, but it turned out to be a charming and silly comedy that made me laugh, feel inspired, and giggle like a moron. James plays a teacher that goes into MMA fighting to raise money for his school's music programme. As a Teacher Of The Year winner, from a decade ago, James has become somewhat complacent concerning his position at the school, and this is just the kick up the backside he needs. The comedy revolves around James being overweight and too old, but his performances in the ring aren't completely unconvincing. The humour ranges from vomit to the face, and even a good old fashioned food fight. These are the bits that actually work, as they are well timed and sudden. Unfortunately James' improv skills are not so impressive. There are scenes that seem like he is trying to say something funny, but comes up short. Any other director would have cut these moments, but instead we are forced to sit through how uncomfortable those parts are. Still, James is pretty likable, and I did start getting a bit teary eyed towards the inevitable and cliched finale. A film I wouldn't mind watching again.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 22, 2013
No one will fight for his students like Mr. Voss.

Good movie! I had low expectations for this given the plot and figured the best parts were shown in the trailers. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The plot is all very predictable but really who cares for this type of movie. The dialog is not that sharp and while some parts are a little corny, the film is light hearted, does not take itself too seriously and is excellent entertainment if you want to switch off your brain at the end of the week. This film moves at a good pace, is funny throughout, with some real laugh out loud moments, and leaves you with a good feeling at the end.

A high school biology teacher looks to become a successful mixed-martial arts fighter in an effort to raise money to prevent extra-curricular activities from being axed at his cash-strapped school.
Everett J

January 20, 2013
"Here Comes the Boom" is a comedy about 42 year old teacher Scott(Kevin James)who decides to raise money by doing MMA fighting to save his school's music program. It's a very typical James comedy, which is fine, cause James is great. He has that everyman quality that works better than most comedy actors. The supporting cast in this is great, filled with all the regular Sandler(he's the producer) movie actors. Henry Winkler, Selma Hayek, and Bas Rutten all help Scott with his MMA quest from fighting in a farm to the UFC. The concept is inspiring, but it's 100 percent completely unrealistic. I'm a HUGE fight fan and the fight scenes are very, very absurd. I get that it's a movie, but they could have made the fights more believable and still told a very good, entertaining story. The movie is predictable and follows a formula that's been done numerous times. But James and a pretty funny script help this stand out some from the pact. Want a lighthearted MMA comedy, that doesn't try to reinvent the wheel, then give this a watch.
Tyler R

October 13, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks that the plot of this movie sounds like an Adam Sandler film? Kevin James plays a biology teacher in a school that is less than average and when he finds out about budget cuts and the cancellation of the music program in school, he decides to do MMA fighting to raise money. Not only does this play off as Adam Sandler-ish, but it's also like a comedic version of Warrior. In Warrior, Joel Edgerton's character was a teahcer who wanted to make money by doing MMA. Here, we have the same thing except it's less dramatic. (or good for that matter.) Normally, Kevin James is a funny guy when he's not in movies like Zookeeper. I'll admit in this, he actually provided some good laughs. They weren't really laugh out loud funny, just some audible chuckles here and there. Henry Winkler plays the music teacher that Kevin James wants to help and I'm really starting to get tired of that guy. I don't hate him or anything, and I know that he's the Fonz, but he keeps showing up in these movies with weak plots and I feel kind of bad for him. Salma Hayek is also in the movie and her character is really pointless. If you look at it, her character doesn't affect the plot in anyway and if she wasn't in the movie, it wouldn't be any different. I'll give the movie this, not only did it make me laugh in some scenes, but I found the fight scenes to be entertaining. The movie had MMA fighting to look to and seeing Kevin James throw down wasn't too bad. But the main problem this movie has is that the plot is so worn out and it's incredibly predictable. The plot follows the same formula and it's also not as funny as one might expect. There are jokes where it's really nothing more than people getting hit over the head with something or Kevin James acting weird. I wouldn't say that the movie sucks, it's just not very good. I really wanted for a movie like this to be the least bit decent. I like Kevin James, I want to see him in more movies, but with a movie like Here Comes the Boom, it makes me wish Kevin James stayed out of this one. Will you like it? I'm not sure, it depends on what you're looking for? If you like this movie, fine, I have no problem with that. I personally found the movie to be predictable, it's not insanely funny, I could see most things coming before they happend, certain scenes and characters are pointless and I did think Kevin James was good in the movie and it had some really entertaining fight scenes, but those weren't enough for me to call it good.
Shawn M

January 21, 2013
Entertaining but not that amazing.
PantaOz
PantaOz

March 5, 2013
This sports comedy wasn't too bad. Directed by Frank Coraci, written by Allan Loeb, Kevin James and Martin Solibakke, and starring Kevin James was just a light entertainment which delivered enough for a positive review!

Not very original story of Scott Voss (Kevin James), a 42-year-old bored and disillusioned biology teacher at Wilkinson High School wasn't promissing much at the beginning. Budget cutbacks at the school jeopardize the continuation of the music program, which would result in its teacher, Marty (Henry Winkler), being laid off. Concerned for both his colleague and his students, Voss attempts to raise the $48,000 necessary to keep the music program alive. At first, he works as a night instructor for a citizenship class but that didn't resch amounts he needed. Opportunity shows up when one of his students, Niko (Bas Rutten), who was a former mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter watches with him UFC fight at Niko's apartment... Voss learns that the loser of the fight receives $10,000, which gives him the idea of raising the money by fighting in MMA himself. Easier said than done... but the important thing is that it gets much funnier from here!

Very likable characters and an opportunity for the whole family to enjoy the laughs together made this film to be chosen as one of ten best films for family audiences by the 21st Annual Movieguide Awards. I agree... to a degree...
SC007
SC007

October 21, 2012
The film was ok, but not terrific. The film kind of reminded me of movies like School of Rock, Nacho Libre, and Warrior. However, I liked those films much better than this one. This one needed a rewrite. Some of the pacing was off.

However, the film does have heart and a lot of funny moments. The MMA fighters steal the film from the main actors, especially Bas Rutten as Niko. Kevin James is ok here. I could have also seen Jack Black play that role. I like James in Hitch and I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. Henry Winkler and Salma Hayek provide nice supporting work here.
Christopher H

October 17, 2012
A film lacking a distinct genre, "Here Comes the Boom" tries to be a heartfelt comedy, but more-or-less comes off like a goofy ploy to get UFC into a widely released film. While Kevin James looks and acts the part, it is hard to get behind any character in the film due to the ridiculous nature of the plot; a teacher becomes a UFC fighter to raise money for his school's art programs. Though the film does achieve several heart-warming moments, that doesn't change the fact that the rest of the film is filled in with lame, half-cocked ideas that hardly belong on the big screen (i.e. grown men getting hit in the head with yoga balls, food fights in Vegas, and public vomiting).
Henrik S

March 9, 2014
The basic formula in this one is a simply as it gets. The super-likeable fun-bear Kevin James is a low down teacher who lost his touch and - inspired by the setback of a fellow - decided to save his buddy and himself along the way. Feelgood vibe all over. Yet, the film takes a turn for the bizarre when the hero decides to win over everyone's heart by becoming a cage fighter. I dont know about everyone else, but cage fighting looks and feels light years away from family fun in my book and seeing our chubby hero getting beat up or beating up others into the world of unconsciousness really does not have the same jolly ring to it as Arielle longing for love or Merida jolting through the highlands. Not sure why this was even awarded best family film at some strange awards, maybe the Annual Film Awards for the violent domestic male ? Who knows. Apart from some one liners and James' usual funny routines, you can easily forget about this one.
Nikki M

June 8, 2013
Good movie, makes you almost like professional mixed martial arts!
moviefan1725
moviefan1725

October 19, 2012
Nobody in the movies today falls down better than Kevin James. A fun movie. Full review to come.
Jason C

October 19, 2012
Walking into Here Comes the Boom with no expectations, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I like Kevin James and understand his limitations as an actor. He jumps into a calmer version of himself here and does a pretty good job. If I had to guess, it would be this character is similar to what he played on TV, although I've never watched his show.
Scott Voss is a subpar teacher who has an obvious problem with authority. His big mouth and fondness for Bella, the beautiful Salma Hayek, get him into a pickle: he needs to raise $48,000 to rescue the music department. After working an extra job and realizing he's not going to get the cash in time, Voss learns that an MMA fighter who LOSES a fight gets $10,000. He wrestled when he was younger and, along with one of his students from citizenship class (who also happens to be a former MMA fighter), Voss decides to go out and lose enough fights to raise the money.
The plot sounds easy enough to put James on auto-pilot and let him go. But director Frank Coraci did a good job of keeping James reeled in enough to get a pretty good performance out of him. James regressed to simple silliness a couple of times. Luckily it wasn't enough to stand out or bring the movie down. Coraci has done good and bad, but he's the director of Waterboy (1998), a comedy classic. James also had the benefit of a great supoorting cast. An actor who's often used by the director, Winkler, played the music teacher, Marty Streb. His comedic timing is impeccable. Him and James worked well together, as did James and Hayek. She toned the acting down a little, enough to look like she was having fun making Here Comes the Boom, and created a likable school nurse.
The show stealer was Bas Rutten, a real life ex-fighter and some-time actor. Rutten was over the top in every scene and did his part in making Boom such a success.
The story wasn't original, or some plot twisty flick. Here Comes the Boom kept it simple. The character development was strong. I liked these guys and was happy to sit and watch the story unfold. The touching parts and happy parts were just that because of my liking of the characters.
The weirdest thing was the fight scenes. They were GOOD. The cinematography was kept simple and the fights looked real enough. A couple shots were incredible. With what passes for action scenes lately, I'd say other cinematographers could learn a thing or two (one being that jiggly cam SUCKS) by watching these simple, focused on the fight, sequences.
Judging by what other reviewers said about Here Comes The Boom, I'd say they expected it to be a standard Kevin James slapstick movie with more comedy than character development. It is pretty funny, but not something that'll give you cramps from laughing. It's definitely worth going to see though.