63% Hercules Jul 25

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger Reviews

Nicki M

January 13, 2009
Slow to get into, and not overy realistic, but it is quite a sweet film. If you're looking for a more realistic bullied teen film, I would recommend Welcome to the Dollhouse. I just didn't buy that the "cool" girl would find this kid amusing and take her under her wing as she does.
*********i just rewatched this a few years later. Actually, I picked up an ex rental for $2. What can I say, I'll be donating it back to the Sammy's shortly.
Original review stands, yes, it is sweet, and the cast are good, but it's wholly unconvincing, more so the second time around, and if I never have to hear that Blueberger "poem" - not once, but twice - I will be quite happy. It really is ridiculous and makes Esther seem like she is special needs. Yet we are supposed to think the cool kids admire that. Yeah right.
Cynthia S

October 4, 2010
hmmm. It had its moments, I guess...hence the extra half star.
deano
deano

March 2, 2009
Esther Blueburger, played by brilliantly newcomer Danielle Catanzariti, is a funny Aussie character I've seen since Josie Alibrandi in Looking for Alibrandi. Keisha Castle-Hughes does a good supporting performance as Esther's new rebellious friend, I was awake she has grown as a teenage since 2002's Whale Rider.

December 24, 2010
Interestingly enough, a lot of people did not like this movie... and I am not sure why! It is a sneak peak in a life of a girl who is not very popular in an exclusive private school... a girl who will do anything to change that!

It is awkwardly charming coming-of-age story about a "docile young dweeb who mixes with the cool kids, becomes an overnight badass, then gets seduced by the dark side of being popular". Someone wrote those words and I have to adopt them! There is no other way describing this Australian film for a whole family!

It had a potential to become just one of the many cute and fuzzy teenagers flicks but the director and the screenwriter Cathy Randall skilfully turned it into a cautionary device for the realities of the 'real' life.

"Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger" is definitely full with bumbling charm and it will please the teenagers audience with its giggly appeal. There were few odd scenes but mostly this invigorating movie strikes balance between comedy and drama.

Main role of Danielle Catanzariti was very well done regarding the complexity of her personality in this movie, and Keisha Castle-Hughes, star of Whale Rider, fits in her role naturally.

Watch it and fully enjoy it!
Brody M

September 10, 2010
Boy was I suprised when this movie turned out to be alright.Its weird but true that when you do finally fit in, You start acting like the people you hang with & thats exactly what Esther did.
January 19, 2013
I liked it quite a bit, though I wish it would have tied up some of the loose strings better and wouldn't of jumped around so much. On that note...I've never cried so hard for a duck in my life.
April 22, 2012
one of the best I have seen this year.
inka s.
September 5, 2010
Esther Blueberger is an outcast in her posh private school. But everything changes when she meets Sunni, a student of another public school, and she then starts secretly going to Sunni's school.

Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger is a typical coming-of-age film. It starts a bit slow until Keshia Castle-Hughes (as Sunni) comes up and fills the entire movie with her charisma.
This film is pretty fun to watch and has lots of quirky humor (with several wtf-moments where i just don't get it). I specifically remember one scene, though, very early in the film when the school girls are dancing in the school yard. I thought it was very cool and I like it very much.

It's a quirky film about a quirky girl, and it has a lot of heart. Definitely one of the better movie about teenagers.
August 18, 2011
Toni Collette fans, you have to see this one. Hey, Hey It's Ester Blueburger was a very small release but I had to give it a shot when I saw the Whale Rider girl in it. Little did I know I was picking up a movie that would make me feel for once. Say a less funny/more serious british version of Mean Girls. This flick is one I recommend to people all the time. Hey Hey!
Grizzle
December 1, 2009
Esther Blueberger is a simple coming-of-age film. It is from the perspective of young Esther Blueberger, the unpopular outcast of her private school, who decides to change things and, with the help of her new friend Sunni, starts going to the public school.

Not quantum mechanics or anything, but it is a terrifically made film, that covers the early teenage years where we all decide we want to be cool pretty damn well. I enjoyed watching it, more the second half than the first half.

The acting is terrific. Finding teenagers who can act is sometimes a hard thing for films, and it is quite often were these sort of films fall short, but this film managed with some amazing young talent, especially Sunni, played by that girl from Whale Rider. Keisha something...

It is heartfelt and honest with its material, which includes common reasons for teen angst such as peer pressure and parent issues, but doesn't turn it into a sexed or drugged up peep show. It actually dulls some of the events a bit, probably to make it better suited towards earlier teen, or maybe even preteen.

A great film, keeps me entertained when this sort of film generally bores me, definitely re-watchable, which isn't something I often say.

My Rating: 70%
Standardised: 50%

December 24, 2010

Watch it and fully enjoy it!
Emily N.
November 5, 2010
no doubt, one of my favorite movies ever.
everyone should see this, no matter what age!
Ewoudt Cloete
April 4, 2010
Surprisingly fun to watch. A unique take on the typical coming-of-age plot line.
EmRox
February 23, 2010
Hey Hey It's Esther Blueburger is a typical teen kind of film. I didn't like it much and wanted to puke most of the time. It did have some good parts though.
Eben B.
February 19, 2010
One of the best and most under-rated films I've seen in my life.

It starts off as an effective comedy but evolves into a truely dark and brutally honest drama.

Everything about it is perfect, and I would highly recommend it to anyone I know with good taste.
Cameron A.
November 22, 2009
This is a top aussie film. It's not the best script, the best acting or the best direction. It does however have plenty of heart and is worth a view.