Hey, Vern! It's My Family Album - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hey, Vern! It's My Family Album Reviews

bug761
February 25, 2011
A must see. Jim Varney gets the chance to show off many different characters in this. In "Hey, Vern! It's My Family Album", Varney plays lovable Ernest, who wants to show Vern his family album. In it, he plays 'Corporal Davy Worrell and Company', "who saved the fort from Indian attack single handedly or with one hand or all by himself"; 'Ace Worrell', a somewhat crazy fighter pilot; 'Great Uncle Lloyd Worrell', one of the meanest men in the world and proud of it who actually named his son Mistake; 'Billy Boogie Worrell', the operator of the Scramblers who looks disco and sings it(rather well); 'Rhetch Worrell', a poker player and 'Pop Worrell', Ernest's 'Pop'. These are some awesome characters. 'Billy Boogie' is just one of my favorites. This is one of Varney's sexiest characters(including Varney himself). Watching him play 'Pop Worrell' makes me laugh until I cry and get a headache. 'Pop' just starts talking about whatever comes into his head and it makes no sense whatsoever but he is so hysterical. It's hard to believe that 'Pop' and 'Billy Boogie' are both played by Jim Varney as he played all his characters so distinctly. Varney was the master of disguise with hundreds of voices. He was truly blessed with many talents. If you don't have this, get it and watch it. Thank God for DVD's because a VHS would've been worn by now. It's a shame that most would pigeon-hole Varney as Ernest or an Ernest-like character because he could've done so much more if given a chance. But I will admit, I love Ernest and deep down, I think the Ernest character was Jim's true calling. And he played 'Ernest' so well, people confused Jim as really being Ernest when in reality, Jim had a genius IQ and was well read but he was sweet and down to earth like Ernest. Jim Varney lives on in my DVD collection and I will continue to enjoy them for as long as I breathe.
September 18, 2015
"Hey Vern! This video contains some moments of hilarity and hijinks that you've gotta see to believe! We are talking a very-table entertainment extravaganzo, comprendo?" Man...this video is my entire childhood. I must have watched it tens of thousands of times. And ALWAYS from beginning to end (except for one segment, which I'll tell you about.) Anyway, the story here is the Ernest has...discovered his family album. (There aren't a lot of new and original ways to put that, I suppose.) And he shares it with his unseen but longsuffering buddy Vern. The most significant branches of the Worrell family tree are profiled for us, the viewer. First off is "Corporal Davey Worrell," who must fight off a horde of restless Natives using nothing but a wide variety of hats, accents, and quirky characters. Next is "Ace Worrell," as we sit in on the most intense Air Force briefing since "Dr. Strangelove." (The trouble of the day: a big monkey! And he's got a girl! And her parents don't like it!) Then there's "Great Uncle Lloyd," whose mailbox proudly proclaims him to be the "meanest man in the whole world." He's a miserable specimen of a man, so poor he can only afford pretend food, and cursed with a destructive 8 year old who looks like a 35 year old pro wrestler. Lloyd's working on him, psychologically. Following this theater of the absurd is the funny and funky "Billy Boogie Worrell," Ernest's cousin. Billy runs the "Scrambler" ride at the fairgrounds, has a knockoff Bee Gees disco anthem running constantly in the background, and alternates between singing and speaking his words in rhyme as his ride takes on several reluctant passengers. The next segment is one I'm not too fond of. It's "Rhetch Worrell," and takes place on a mighty Mississippi steamboat during a high stakes poker game. Rhetch is a sophisticated man of the world, but, like his ancestor Ernest, he's a little wet behind the ears, as he vies for the affection of a beautiful Southern belle. I usually skip this one because I'm not a poker playing man, and am usually not amused at watching people play the game. But finally, we've saved the strangest of a most strange journey for last. This time, we see a young Ernest and his Grandfather aka Pop. Pop's in his late 110s, shakes and darts his tongue in and out of his mouth like a serpent, and LOVES to tell stories. Trouble is, these stories have no beginning, middle, or end, and seem to be one colorful; non-sequiter after another smashed together at random with no rhyme or reason. Anyway, Ernie and Pop and their African savage friend Quiequieg go on a fishing trip, the results of which will change young Ernie's life forever. Watch this. There's a lot of laughs, it's a great way to kill time, and it's pure unadulterated Ernest minus the cinematic trappings that so often dragged his movies down. In my opinion, outside of his many commercials, this is the best piece of Ernest there is. Shame he's not around to make more, but he left us this treasure. KnowwhutImean?
July 22, 2010
You have to be a huge fan of the late Jim Varney to appreciate this one. There's tons of impersonations, the best being that of iconic western types, such as The Duke and Walter Brennan. If your a fan of Ernest P. Worrell, pick this one up..."Every gawd dang one of ya".