High Anxiety Reviews

½ March 14, 2008
So lame. I couldn't even sit through it all. Not funny at all.
blkbomb
May 12, 2012
Dr. Charles Montague: Enjoy yourself, for God's sake! Get your mind off the Wentworth murder... Accident! Accident!

"A Psycho-Comedy"

High Anxiety is a really stupid, moderately funny Hitchcock spoof. This isn't one of Mel Brooks better films. It doesn't touch his classics like Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein, but it is much better than his bottom dweller Dracula: Dead and Loving It. This one works just enough for me because of the subject matter. I am a huge Alfred Hitchcock fan; just like everyone else who is familiar with his work. So a spoof of some of his most legendary films and scenes was, at the very least, going to be interesting. While I think Brooks could have done a much better job with the material, it was still decent enough.

The highlights of the film are two scenes that are reenacted from two different Hitchcock films. The first being the shower scene from Psycho and the second being the birds landing behind the woman from The Birds. Both brilliant scenes are taken and used in the most ridiculous context imaginable. Watch the scenes and you'll know what I mean. They definitely aren't smart comedy, but smart comedy was never what Brooks was selling; and that's what makes him such a genius I guess.

This should be good enough if you are a fan of Brooks' brand of comedy. It would also help if you are familiar with Hitchcock because if not, a lot of the references and comedy will be lost on you. Still it's a little disappointing just because I wanted a Young Frankenstein caliber film from Brooks when he was working with Hitchcock's films as his material.
½ September 6, 2010
Another hilarious spoof comedy from Brooks, this one spoofs Hitchcock's films, and it's very effective. If you like Brook's films, check it out.
TomBowler
½ August 21, 2010
Hitchcock parody film with Mel Brooks. Full review later.
flixsterman
½ January 11, 2009
Mel Brooks' homage to Hitchcock that hits a little more than it misses. Cloris Leachman is at the top of her game, stealing every scene she's in. Funny stuff.
FilmFanatik
May 6, 2007
I loved this movie. Mel Brook's Hitchcock send-up is marvelous.
sanjurosamurai
January 22, 2007
mel brooks meets alfred hitchcock in this spoof comedy that smartly pokes fun at the main themes and iconic moments of the master of suspense. a bit slow at times but an overall fun film for any fan of brooks and hitchcock.
½ June 12, 2006
Dr. Richard H. Thorndyke: What a dramatic airport!

A funny Mel Brooks parody film, centered around Alfred Hitchcock thrillers.

Brooks stars as Richard H. Thorndyke, a celebrated psychiatrist, who has just been put in charge of the Institute for the Very Very Nervous.

He soon finds that things are not the way they should be as suspicious activities start to occur and foul play is suspected.

All of the Brooks' film regulars show up here, including Cloris Leachman, stretching her face throughout as the evil Nurse Diesel, Harvey Korman, Dick Van Patten, and my favorite, Madeline Kahn as the Hitchcock Blonde, Victoria.

Dr. Richard H. Thorndyke: What's your sign?
Victoria Brisbane: I'm sorry. It's... unlisted.

There are a plethora of Hitchcock films being parodied, with obvious takeoffs from The Birds, Psycho, Vertigo, Suspicion, and North by Northwest. This is all easily done through names, scenes, and references, but it is all handled very well, and is consistently funny.

It even makes sure to acknowledge the "drama" unfolding by breaking the fourth wall on occasion to recognize the over-the-top music cues.

It may not be in the same league as Blazing Saddles or Young Frankenstein, but it is still an entertaining movie, with a number of hysterically funny sequences.

Victoria: Have you seen my father at the Institute? Is he all right?
Dr. Richard H. Thorndyke: He's fine, he's fine. He's coming along just fine. He's very affectionate. He licked me.
Victoria: He what?
Dr. Richard H. Thorndyke: Well, he thinks he's a dog these days.
Victoria: A dog?
Dr. Richard H. Thorndyke: A dog, yes.
½ October 25, 2007
Mel Brooks take on Hitchcock films, plus a few others. It was fun to watch.
garyX
½ May 15, 2007
One of Brooks' better spoofs, this affectionate pastiche of Hitchcock will probably go right over the heads of non-aficionados, but fans of Hitch will have great fun spotting the references and in-jokes.
May 21, 2007
Mel Brooks' spoof of Hitckcock isn't nearly as good as Young Frankenstein or even Blazing Saddles.
February 8, 2007
An uneven comedy. Some scenes will give you a few chuckles. During my second viewing of this movie I couldn't help but smile when the camera dollies into the window. The scenes that spoof the Psycho shower attack and The Birds attack are fun, but the build up is usually a mess. Many of the shots recreate familiar scenes from Hitchcock classics, but in order for Mel Brooks to squeeze all the locations and characters in, the plot and filler between the jokes make little sense. Brooks' movies in which he stars and directs prove to be weaker than when he gives the focus to one of his regular funny collaborators.
March 11, 2012
High Anxiety is a wonderful Mel brooks film. It wasn't one of those where you were cracking up the whole time (which people expect from a Mel Brooks movie) but it was one of those that had a lot of witty quotes and one of the best Story lines you've seen in a Brooks film
April 3, 2010
Not only is it not a good movie its also a poor spoof of Hitchcock. There are a few moments throughout that are funny but overall it falls flat on its face.
March 28, 2008
Hey Flixster friends!
Just logged on to find many many messages. I've been MIA for a while-busy with life and other slings and arrows.Will try my best to get back to everyone-but it's gonna take some time...

Great movie by the way!
Finally saw Valkyrie-what a self indulgent piece of crap-all those intense close ups of the Tom Cruise-gag...
Hellshocked
½ May 14, 2009
Probably Mel Brooks' most underrated film. He nails the Hichcock aesthetic perfectly and uses it to great effect during some of the more anarchic gags.
alanjayh
June 8, 2008
classic Mel Brooks comedy..this time spoofing Hitchcock...good solid cast..enjoyable if you are into his humor and can stand Mel's screen presence
mustardnoize
½ February 27, 2008
Those who are tardy will not get fruit cup.
March 26, 2014
Mel Brooks last good film in the 70s, "High Anxiety", parodies Hitchcock in loving fashion, in much the same way that "Young Frankenstein" both laughed at, with and paid homage to the classic Universal Monster films. Now this isn't as good and dead on a parody as "Young Frankenstein", but it is really hard to come as close to a masterpiece as that film is. Brooks is in fine form co-writing, producing, directing and starring in this film that takes comical looks at Hitch's work with both direct scene parodies, and with more general concepts that make fun of the elements of your standard Hitchcock work. Brooks was not only a fan of Hitch, but had become a friend, and the film is dedicated to the Master of Suspense. It is my favorite kind of parody, one that isn't being cruel to the works it is laughing at and with...it is a comically loving tribute.
July 22, 2014
Surprised it took me this long to see this, as im a fan of both brooks and hitchcock, while its not as funny as blazing saddles, it's still pretty funny and clever, especially if you're a hitchcock fan, (if not you might not get a lot of the jokes or references) brooks fills it with his usual crew of actors and all do good jobs, it was also fun to see later director barry levinson in an acting role, def check out if youve seen a lot of hitchcock films