High Strung

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

High Strung Reviews

December 22, 2012
I absolutely love this movie. It is a must see!
August 17, 2012
This movie has no real plot, and is basically an hour and a half long stand up act with sets. I loved it! =D
Phil H

August 14, 2008
A strange film that has no real point to it, just one guy being pissed with everything around him. Its not hilarious by any means but it is amusing in places, the waitress piss take, the fly impersonation and the phone conversation with an automated call machine :) Carrey is in it but not until the end and even then its kinda lame, you can see 'Ace Ventura' coming. Its basically an Oederkerk vehicle but the problem is he isn't THAT funny, still...not bad though.
December 1, 2011
Some people just don't understand how a movie about a guy complaining into the camera for an hour-and-a-half could be any good. Well, when that person is Steve Oedekerk (the man who wrote Ace Ventura 1 & 2 and Kung Pow: Enter The Fist) ...there is still some confusion.

To clarify, this movie is shot almost entirely in one apartment and could very well have ended up being just any stand up act. Yet, it becomes more than that. The central character, Thane Furrows (Oedekerk) is constantly at the height of frustration, and is being bombarded by minor annoyances as well as cryptic death threats. These increasing inner and outer influences slowly bring his "contents under pressure" to a roiling boil and an eventual breakdown until he finally comes face-to-face with death (Jim Carrey.)

Seeing the very limits of Thane's ability to get angry about things like watermelon popsicles, along with the director's ability to keep shots both interesting and effective in one location make for both a strong performance, and a well crafted and hilarious (almost) one man show. Jim Carrey, Fred Willard and Tom Wilson (Biff Tannen from 'Back to the Future') also grace the screen to keep things interesting.

One of my favorites and worth a try for anyone who's ever gotten too upset over nothing at all (or at lest gets a kick out of watching other people that do.)
August 18, 2011
This is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. Jim Carrey is a five minute side-note, but Steve Oedekerk delivers fantastic seamless monologues that make a 90 minute movie seem like 15 golden minutes I want to watch over and over. Oedekerk portrays a disgruntled life-o-phobe who complains about everything and wishes for death at the slightest inconvenience. The genius is in the complaints and their catalysts. The last time I watched the movie was about nine years ago and to this day I think of it and smile every time I pour milk in my cereal.
Konj K.
September 28, 2010
So simple and yet, so funny! They don't make these anymore.
Greg G.
June 18, 2010
A fantastic comedy that everyone can relate to. Extremely quotable, it's a joy to watch everytime. Such gems like "Smokers. There's no excuse for smoking. Smoking is the equivalent to carrying around a salt lick, laced with a little bit of cyanide." Or of course, "I'd rather... be... DEAD!"
Doosty
May 17, 2010
One of my favorite comedies to say the least. The plot is basically just a guy sitting in his apartment complaining about everything. At first glance it might seem lame, but I was laughing throughout the entire thing. I can't help but love this movie. Steve Oedekerk did such a great job in this movie. He is the reason it works. A rare comic gem.
JexyMG
June 11, 2009
One of my all time favorites and one of the best comedies ever made! Don't get confused by Carrey being on the cover... its all about Oedekerk. Absolutely hilarious and I don't know how, since it is basically a guy going off on all the stuff he hates for the whole movie.
MisterMesterio
July 23, 2008
Jim carrey as death, this could be good
reflux
May 18, 2008
good but weird comedy about steve oedekerk and how everythin annoys him. i like this film. jim carrey is in it aswell as the grim reaper.
Jexy
January 25, 2008
One of my all time favorites and one of the best comedies ever made! Don't get confused by Carrey being on the cover... its all about Oedekerk. Absolutely hilarious and I don't know how, since it is basically a guy going off on all the stuff he hat...(read more)es for the whole movie.
January 6, 2008
Really liked it when I first saw it. Not so funny now.
cowleshome
May 30, 2007
I Use this movie to determine whether or not I will continue to date my girlfriends. So ultimitely I guess you could say this is a measure of how I will find my future wife lol best comedy ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! By far my favorite I can't believe nobody has ever freakin seen this
September 7, 2007
This is the most undiscovered comic gem ever. Oedekerk is hysterical and the only thing that could make this movie better is if somehow in the archives of time they were able to locate behind-the-scenes footage or other bonus footage. Brilliant.
August 11, 2007
How can this not be on dvd? One of the best, and most unique, movies out there.
July 16, 2007
A delightful movie for all the complainers out there! Proves that anything is worth griped about. This find is one of finest diamond in the rough.
Tempest675
May 29, 2007
I absolutely love this movie. It is a must see!
May 21, 2007
Disgustingly underrated!! Completeley forgotten in the sands of past, it was the masterpiece for the early 90s... one of the most groundbreaking performances and screenplays ever: almost a full monologue carried with A TOUR-DE-FORCE performance by an extraordinary (and never NEVER better) Oedekerk who never lets the movie fall from his outstanding power to create awkward yet hilarious moments. Jim Carrey doesn't appear for almost an hour and a little more and when he does, he disappears after only ONE scene... IT DOESN'T MATTER! This is Steve's movie from the beginning to the end and the whole spectrum of characters that parade through his loft is meaningless and merely support for a movie that should be classified only as: UNIQUE. A monologue? A movie monologue for 2 hours? If that's not groundbreaking, I don't know what is... it's really necessary and EXTREMELY important that it gets released in DVD... It's really a matter of life or death!! Please!!