Highlander: The Source - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Highlander: The Source Reviews

½ March 2, 2008
This movie was more like a bad music video than something special in the hIghlander lore. The Highlander legend takes another hit.
½ May 23, 2011
A ultra-stylish and frequently cool action-packed thriller. A bold, fun and new take on the classic adventure series, even thow not the best film in the series but still pretty good. A non-stop adventure filled with suspense and dazzling action. Adrian Paul, Jim Byrnes and Peter Wingfield are back at it in their great roles. Paul once again wins us over with his great portrayel from the series and its great to see him wield swords and show off his star power.
November 18, 2007
Well to start off here I watched this movie not because I had a huge desire to see it but just because I seen the other films in the series so I thought I would at least take a look and believe me when I say that Highlander: The Source is pure crap on every level. It's not even bad on a campy or kitsch level of enjoyment. It is actually grating and painful to watch.

Set in a dystopian future, the planets are about to allign, and the last remaining immortals believe this will lead them to the Source of their immortality. Problem is, the Source's "Guardian" a superfast immortal, has awoken and hunts them down.

Put that way, the plot sounds decent enough. The problem comes with how it is executed. The movie looks and sounds dirt cheap, with bargain-basement special effects. Even the opening narration sounds like someone recorded it on youtube. The director wraps the whole thing up in a painfully amateur-looking MTV music video style, complete with choppy and incoherent fight scenes.

The story is utterly incoherent, inconsistent, and virtually non-existent. Perhaps ( so I've heard anyway) it is because the producers butchered the original script by Peter Briggs, apparently throwing out every decent idea they could find. One of the worst affected elements is the Source itself, which is literally reduced to a magical sandpit.

The movie is also peppered with "action" sequences that honestly would not look out of place in a "naked gun" movie. They are (unintentially) comical, yet boring and irritating at the same time. The worst offender of all is the fast-motion fight at the end.

The characters are also awful. The "Guardian" himself apparently has the mentality of a five year old. The guy is a complete idiot, and poorly acted. Our merry band of immortals include a stereotypical "Cockney Geezer", a priest who looks like "Max Headroom", and the rest seem embarrassed and bored to be in the movie. I'm not a fan of Adrian Paul and I even felt sorry for him having to be in this piece of trash

They also managed to butcher Queen's "Princes of the Universe" with a emo cover version. And I believe the Guardian actually sang it at one point.

Let's put it this way. Watch if your a diehard and I mean diehard Highlander fan otherwise avoid.
½ December 17, 2007
What a hunk of junk. This movie was poorly made and that is the bottom line. It takes place a long while after the last movie and has a few of the tv show characters in it but that is where the connections end.
Adrian Paul is a dark and jerky version of his character and that really killed it for me right off the bat. The character I had grown to enjoy over the years had completely changed.
The story was silly and so rushed that you were wondering what the point was. They were charged to go on this quest for the immortal version of the holy grail and they spent a good twenty minutes talking about how difficult it would be to find it and how some had been looking for it for thousands of years. So they head off on the quest and manage to find it pretty fast without much trouble at all. That was pretty stupid.
There is also a rock video type sequence that takes place after a sub par action sequence that really raises the cheese meter quite a bit.
In the end Duncan takes out the bad guy in a fight that lasts a minute or two and then we get a really dumb five minute long recap of the whole movie and then it's over.
The whole movie was a waste of my time and left me wondering no more why the movie was supposed to go to the theater at first and then was reduced to a direct to DVD flick only to make its premier on tv instead.
Even if you are a fan of the franchise you should stay away from this one.
½ October 11, 2011
This movie is so bad it's hilarious, please, if you're gonna make a bad movie, make it like this one. Funny overacting, plot holes you could drive a truck through, and most of all, a parallel to a Resident Evil film (Stalking Guardian = Nemesis, Cannibals = Zombies), but it's even better than one. :p
½ February 10, 2008
I'm only giving this more than 1 star because I really like Adrian Paul and think he's a much better Duncan MacLeod than Christopher Lambert. That being said, I am a fan of the movies and the series. This one fell really flat and the ending was a huge let-down.
½ August 24, 2012
I don't usually write this crassly, but seriously: OH, MY GOD!!! What the Hell did they do to "Highlander?" "Highlander II" is often held up as not only a bad film, but also as a perfect example of how to destroy your franchise. "Highlander: The Source" is way, WAY worse! It not only removes everything that made "Highlander" awesome, but proceeds to take a steaming dump all over it. The first movie was great, but it went downhill after that, and this movie represents a new low. I don't see how it can get worse than this, but I'm sure they're going to try.
½ May 24, 2011
The series is so good but for some reason they can't put out a good movie other than the first (Highlander). The plot was really cheesy as was the script, and the effects they had at the last sword fight were truthfully just stupid. As big as the twist was on the "There can only be one" line part of me was left thinking, "You know...that's quite a disapointment." If i was not aware of the Highlander franchise, I would have believed this was one of those low budget films on ScyFy.
½ April 16, 2008
As a long-time fan of the Highlander movies and TV series I have this to say of The Source. What an unmitigated clusterfuck of an abortion!!!!! How in the name of Hades can you produce a Highlander film with NO fucking immortal sword fights!!!!!! NONE. Zero. What's worse is that they strip all the immortal powers from the Immortals because they are getting close to "The Source" so we see regular humans slaughtering Immortals left and right. What a bunch of crap!!!! They also introduce us to the oldest suriving Immortal, a being who has been alive for perhaps 10,000 years and they show us a morbidy obese, 2,000-pound black man who lives in the basement of a Monestery???? You have GOT to be freaking kidding me!!!! This being released straight to the Sci-Fi Channel and DVD should have warned me this was going to be substandard, but JESUS, this was fucking awful with a capital A as in ASSHOLE PRODUCERS! Notice my cursewords????? Think I am angry????!!!! How could Adrian Paul, Peter Wingfield and Joseph Panzer betray and rape the series like this??? How could they end it this way???? It made me very, very sad to see the original Highlander storyline, dating all the way back to the original 1985 movie with Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery and then the 1990s TV show, end this way. Who the HELL was this "Guardian?" supposed to be??? He looked like a retard. And to add insult to injury this retard kills Joe Dawsom (Byrnes) and smashes McCleod's Japanese Katana that was given to him by Connor (Lambert) into a million pieces. THEN on top of it we don't see McCleod and Methos (Wingfield) fight even though most Highlander fans have been waiting for a final confrontation between the two characters since 1993!!!!! THEN to add insult to a bloody mess of a movie they show us "The Source" is...THE ABILITY FOR AN IMMORTAL TO HAVE A CHILD. WTF????? Why is this worth guarding???? Why is this the end-all be all of all Immortals??? This is how they end it???? I've heard they may remake Highlander. They can't possibly make it worse than this. Can they? I pray for the dumbass who tries.
½ June 20, 2009
It is in this sequel that one learns the true meaning of the saying "in the end, there can only be one".
½ January 23, 2009
so bad - felt like actors were all in separate movies, and no logical consistency with the series or other movies.
½ May 23, 2008
I expected so much better. Adrian Paul looked gorgeous as always. Hasn't aged a day. Must really be an immortal.
½ January 23, 2009
Had some good combat scence and creative CGI but it is was no way better than the "Highlander" with Sean Connery and Christopher Lambert as Conner Macleod.
January 23, 2009
always loved adrian paul as the tv version highlander, and this movie was just okay for me...kind of dissapointed me really, but i'm a fan, so it was okay
½ January 21, 2008
What's with everybody's voice in this movie? I mean the nemesis character was fine until I heard him talk and then was like wondering if this was for real. What happened to the low raspy voice that's supposed to strike fear in me? For crying out load, he sounds like a clown.
June 19, 2008
FUCK THIS MOVIE! I loved the show and this was a shitty, half-assed attempt to cash in on fans like me.
½ May 24, 2008
It had a fun villain, brought characters from the show, aloowed them to curse, and finished the mythos, for the most part. but it wasn't a good movie. Think of it as a long episode of the show, a good episode.
½ May 10, 2008
Worst Highlander in the history of the franchise. This was so bad it never got a theatrical release. Avoid it at all costs, it's guaranteed to piss you off if you were a fan of the show or the movies.
½ March 23, 2008
So I turn on Sci-FI today at 9pm to watch The long-rumored Highlander movie about Duncan's search for the origins of the immortals?!

The one that was never released in theaters? The one that I've not seen ANY ads for? It's just on? WTF?

O.k., so I watched it.

Well, now I remember why I call the Highlander rule "The Highlander rule." OMG it was awful. It was just. Freaking. Awful. It takes place in, I dunno, the future? I mean, the world had descended into complete chaos and it was all post-apocalyptic, but Joe was still alive, and he was mortal, so it couldn't be too far away. About 90% of it was done in front of terrible looking blue screen. The acting was meh. The writing was awful. Lots of random encounters with bands of post-apocalyptic crazy people. The visuals were awful. And the ending? oh. God. The ending.

Apparently, "there can be only one" does not mean that they had to kill all the others; it just meant that there was only one with a pure enough heart to pass the test of the source, and thus allow him to make a child (which immortals were otherwise not able to do).

½ March 27, 2008
Ooohh Wow, the finale for one of the largest franchises of the 1980's has degraded, and turned into a snowball that just got out of hell. I mean I have seen some stinkers, but this one had me BEGGING for a quick ending. I love the Highlander series/movies for the most part, but this deformed half cousin step child of the 1986 original should not be put under the same title. The villain and his acting was much more than laughable, it was completely pathetic. The dialog in general was formed of cliche phrases, horribly thought-up catch phrases and a ridiculous made-up language that the "villain" speaks when we first meet him in his Halloween costume. Oh but that basically fits in with the rest of the non-original cast of the Highlander series. They all had stupid clothing, stereotypical accents, and no common sense when it came to dealing with problems. The original cast of supporting characters were given good old heart-felt farewells, I just wish their final speaking scenes were shorter, hell, I wished the movie itself were shorter. "But, why did you watch it if you didn't like it?" Well folks, that can only answered by my Dad! Jee thanks Dad! You jerk!!!