• R, 1 hr. 32 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

History of the World -- Part I Reviews

Christian C

May 23, 2013
A truly funny, episodic comedy. Kahn is great and the musical numbers are memorable.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

May 15, 2012
An underrated Mel Brooks gem, The History of the World-Part 1 is a hilarious film. Mel Brooks delivers yet another great film. The History of the World-Part 1 is a crude, offensive comedy, but it works. The film has all the ingredients that make up a great Mel Brooks comedy. This film is fairly underrated, and is viewed as less superior as Brooks' works. The cast here are a wonderful bunch of actors that deliver something memorable to the screen. If you enjoy a good Mel Brooks film, then give this film a view, this film is definitely worth it, and is lots of fun from start to finish. The comedic delivery is low brow, and it works. With every film that Mel Brooks has done, he's done something hilarious, something that would push the boundaries of the comedy genre, much like Monty Python; His films are classics of the genre. If you're a fan of Mel Brooks, give this one a shot. The jokes are in poor taste at times, but they're meant to be taken with a grain of salt. The History of the World-Part 1 is a near flawless comedy, and is among Mel Brooks' best works. Funny from start to finish, History of the World-Part 1 is supported by a great cast of talented funny actors who really make this film stand out. If you want a great slapstick offensive comedy, then this is the perfect flick to watch. This really an underrated film in my opinion and it doesn't deserve the flack it has received. If you enjoy Mel Brooks, you'll enjoy this film. I was surprised at how much I loved it, a true comedy classic.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
What was Brooks thinking with this movie? It's not funny, all the jokes are stupid, and there's not really a story (not that one I can recall anyway.). I hated this movie.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

April 29, 2007
Funny, funny stuff. Way ahead of any time, this highly and irreverent entry is Brooks at his best. A true classic!
Spencer S

April 4, 2010
Another corny Brooks facade, the only half of the two parter is only slightly accuracte, funny as ever, and the musical numbers (including the Spanish Inquisition) are quite enjoyable.
Anthony L

September 17, 2009
Not Brook?s best but certainly not his worst. Dom DeLuise and Gregory Hines are great!
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 24, 2007
although the film got less funny as it went on, it is still worth a solid laugh and is worthy of the mel brooks filmography.
Lafe F

July 6, 2007
I found it hilarious when I first saw it in 1981, but it's lame now. Mel Brooks and his gang put on a historical play with lots of funny jokes. We're still waiting for Part 2 and 3.
Cindy I

June 6, 2007
I should like this, but I don't. After Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles, I thought Mel Brooks could do no wrong. But with the exception of one segment (It's GOOD to be the King!), it just doesn't do anything for me.
garyX
garyX

March 31, 2007
Insubstantial scattershot spoof from Mel Brooks that's inoffensively amusing if you're in the right mood.
James A

May 18, 2006
An excellent documentary on the creation of civilized man. I cant wait for part 2 Ah hehehe!
Dann M

January 31, 2014
The Mel Brooks comedy History of the World: Part I delivers plenty of laughs, but it's a little rough in some spots. The film consists of several sketches about varies historical periods, including the Stone Age, the Roman Empire, the Spanish Inquisition, and the French Revolution. And while each is funny in its own way, the tone is inconsistent and there are problems with the pacing. History of the World: Part I is entertaining and fun, but it doesn't quite work as a whole.
Byron B

February 8, 2007
Episodically moves through time. Some segments are better than others. The French Revolution segment being the most memorable for me.
Alec B

March 29, 2008
The meld of "Monty Pythonesque" historical humor and Borscht Belt one liners yields some occasionally great results, and while its a mess in the first half, the Spanish Inquisition musical number and the French Revolution bits that close out the film are hilarious enough that I'll forgive most of the problems I have.
Daniel D

April 11, 2011
I'm still flabbergasted that my dad bought me this movie in my childhood. I think this was the sixth time I watched it, and the First time that I got all the dirty jokes. The film covers Dawn of man (parody of 2001: A Space Odyssey), stone age, roman empire, Spanish Inquisition,French revolution, and some biblical references. It's a laugh riot, and the genius Mel Brooks put in plenty of things to catch. I'm not sure if it's still my favorite Brooks film, but it's still a damn good one.
Sarah P

October 30, 2009
A solid Mel Brook's film. Some of the timep period segments were better than others. But overall, funny.
mustardnoize
mustardnoize

February 27, 2008
Treasure bath!
nickymo89
nickymo89

July 23, 2007
Always makes me smile. One of my fave Mel Brooks movies. Funny and doesn't apologize for anything.

IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING!
Nathan L

May 25, 2007
Mel Brooks is good at what he does. At least during the 80's.