The Hitcher II: I've Been Waiting - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

YodaMasterJedi
July 18, 2014
two stars
½ September 12, 2008
Had I seen C. Thomas Howell in any major motion pictures since the 1980's? No. Should I have had any expectations of seeing a good film at all? No. Was this a good film? Not even close.

So why am I angry? I'll tell you. The first Hitcher film is one of my favourite thrillers of the 80's that had you on the edge of your seat the entire film and actually had the balls to dispatch main characters along it's course. This film is nothing but a cheap and pathetic rip off of the previous film, right down to supposed "twists and surprises" that are so lame you begin to wonder why they attempted a sequel in the first place. Well you are in the same both with the rest of us poor saps who actually spent money (thankfully only $.79 in my case) on this stinker.

The plot is simple, our hero from the original film (Howell) returns aged but still haunted by what happened to him 17 years ago. Because of this, both his job and his marriage are on the rocks so he decides to take a road trip (despite past experiences) with wife (Wuhrer) in tow. Along the way they run along to a stranger (Busey) who is essentially a replacement of the far superior Rutger Hauer in an inferior attempt to replicate the first films excitement.

If you are a fan of the first film, AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS. This is only a sequel in name, and even C. Thomas Howell must have known that this was nothing but a paycheck in an attempt to cash in on the classic original. If you haven't seen the first film, I would still reccomend that you avoid this, but perhaps you can find more redeeming qualities in this junk than I could.

3/10 (and I'm being generous)
August 31, 2008
It's an ok road movie slasher but not as good or intense as the first or the remake!
jim222001us
January 3, 2009
It's the sequel to the original 1984 film and it's not great but sadly it's a little better than the remake to the original.
November 27, 2014
The sequel to the 80's movie with Rutger Hauer as the baddie. C Thomas Howell again plays Jim, travelling the same stretch of highway and foolishly picking up another hitchhiker. Jake Busey is no Rutger Hauer, but he plays the role with relish. I never miss an opportunity to see Kari Wuhrer in action. Average thriller.
June 21, 2012
This movie proves that sequels are a huge waste of time and money. Especially ones that are made 20 years later.
½ May 21, 2012
Just as good as the original if not better only thing missin is Rutger hauer. This sequal does not suck. Same style as the first movie. more gruesome then the first. C thomas howell comes back. Its a ride from the beggining to the end. If u like the original Hitcher you will love this! Amazing score.
½ July 29, 2011
This is how bad the original Hitcher would have been if Rutger Hauer had been replaced by Jake Busey, or, let's say - oh yeah, Sean Bean. Fortunately, the original had a great villain to fall back on, to make up for it's ridiculous plot - this garbage didn't.
WC
April 2, 2011
So the movie starts out as a normal direct to DVD sequel with the main character having a job helping people and having flashbacks. Of course he has a girlfriend too. So I really enjoyed the original, but this one was very bad. I hated the 'hitch hiker' he was so annoying and didn't even seem like a psycho. He seemed like he needed to be in a comedy. The only things I liked were seeing the main character bad in it and some parts of the movie were shocking and a little suspenseful. Overall the movie was boring and dull.
½ February 28, 2008
History repeats itself when troubled ex-cop Jim (Howell) returns to the remote Texas county where years earlier he was stalked and tormented by a murderous hitchhiker. This time, a demented maniac (Busey) murders everyone in his path and frames Jim and his girlfriend Maggie (Wuhrer) for his crimes.

On a list of unnecessary sequels, "The Hitcher II" has got to be near the top. The likelihood of the Howell's character ending up in the exact same situation he was in twenty years earlier--framed for a murder spree by a mysterious, trench-coat clad psycho--is even more far fetched than John McClain of the "Die Hard" series ending up in the middle of two large-scale hostage situations.

What's more, this sequel to a movie that was scary partly because it had an air of realism about it goes so quickly over the top that it is downright cartoony by the time the third act rolls around. The film is utterly humorless but it is nonetheless hilarious. (Things start going really wrong with the first mass shootout with the cops, get seriously goofy when Busy's mad killer commandeers a backhoe, and reach the utterly absurd with a tanker truck vs. airplane showdown.)

As impossible as it will be to suspend your disbelief while watching this movie, it does have a certain bizarre charm about it; it's a complete and utter waste of time but it's entertainning enough. It would make a great addition to a Bad Movie Night line-up, particularly since it features decent acting--even if Gary Busy can't even hold the faintest of candles to Rutger Hauer's menacing presence in the original film--and moves along at a rapid pace. (Something that's all-fire necessary with a script as stupid as what we have here... the audience really shouldn't be given any time to think about what is unfolding.)

The Hitcher II: I've Been Waiting
Starring: Kari Wuhrer, Gary Busey, C. Thomas Howell, and Shaun Johnston
Director: Louis Morneau
October 28, 2015
I kinda liked it 3/5
November 27, 2014
June 21, 2012
½ February 15, 2014
Not as good as the first one, that scared me a lot. Not so much this one.
February 7, 2014
C. Thomas Howell really, really got bad at acting, speaking in a low growl for the majority of his time on screen. The protagonist ended up being boring, the antagonist was everything but compelling, and the story was pretty nonexistant. Such an unnecessary sequel. Ugh, I'm gonna take a shower and wash myself of this movie.
½ July 1, 2013
Ok, the hitcher 2 entertained me, but I just think it went in the wrong direction than i had thought. C Thomas is killed within 1/3 of the movie, and the girl is the main suspect, kinda like the first film. I figured the movie woulda been about C thomas, but then the movie u-turned on me. Where the film lacked was jake busey, yes he looks like a freak but he's not a good actor. He cant compete with Mr. Rutger Hauer. However the truck/plane scene near the end was cool. Not good but not terrible either.
½ June 30, 2013
Too similar to the first one to really be worth watching. But it does have some good moments.
½ May 14, 2013
A tad boring at times and shot like a low grade '80s tv movie.. but not all bad. This sequel offers a fun surprise for fans of the original... but I won't ruin it for you.. and while it won't bring new viewers to the franchise, fans of the first can't be too angry that it exists... unless they find Busey as awkward as I do. :/ The Hitcher II makes as much sense as its predecessor... little. So you will forgive it again if necessary.
½ May 6, 2013
Direct-to-DVD horror sequel. You do the math.
March 29, 2013
Surprisingly decent sequel. Not nearly as good as the original or the remake, but still tense and enjoyable, with a solid climax. The three leads all do a decent job, I just wish C. Thomas Howell had been the protagonist. It would have made the move much more interesting.