—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Reviews

Lucas M

July 23, 2012
Star Wars meet Monty Phyton.
Wildaly M

July 24, 2007
Quirky and funny sci-fi flick. Definitely unique and worth watching.
Red L

June 2, 2012
I keep hearing praises for "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Perhaps the book is better than the film. Zooey Deschanel is quite cute though.
Scott G

March 24, 2012
This is a film with qualities that are way ahead of its time, no-one would think to make a documentary guide that has action, drama, comedy, romance and acting beyond belief. Its only made in 2005 but the realness is unbelieveable.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

October 14, 2007
I have to say it one of my favourite books and very much one of my favourite movies! I loved every moment of it and although very true to the book maybe with a couple of added scenes which flowed well and very much suited the concept and quirkiness of the movie it didnt disappoint, book to movie adapatations dont always work, but i found this work very well and i just love it!
Its hilarious and Marvin was my favourite character in the book and i couldnt think of anyone else more appropriate for the voice other than Rickman with his deep voice to suit the depressiveness of the robot!
Its a hilarious, quirky, unique movie that i just love and enjoy very much!
Great cast and great book to copy! Fantastic!
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

January 3, 2012
I first saw this when it came out and I cant remember a lot. I remember finding it strange because i'd never read the book or seen the series. But I also remember liking it a lot and laughing at it like I was supposed to (in the best possible way).
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

November 27, 2011
I never had a chance to read the book, but having seen this film, I thought it was very entertaining and fun. I personally felt that this film was fairly underrated and that it didn't deserve the flack it received. I thought that the cast here delivered good performances and made the film enjoyable to watch. I especially enjoyed Alan Rickman's performance, ands he as usual delivers a memorable role. For what it is, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is an entertaining film that's pure fun from beginning to end. Though not perfect, it definitely is a good sci-fi comedy film. What makes this film worth seeing is like I said the cast. Without the cast, I don't think The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would have worked. This is not a perfect film, but it has enough going on to make this a worthwhile viewing. I thought that the film was pretty funny, well acted and well directed. This is a fun sci-fi film that is different from other films in the genres, but is nonetheless an interesting addition as it's not your typical sci-fi film. The film has a good sense of strong visuals, and is fun to look at, and it's what makes The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy such a good film along with its good plot. The film has some good humorous bits and this is a film that is hard not to like. A very enjoyable film even with all its flaws, it still has enough charm to appeal to a viewer looking for a different type of sci-fi film. The fact that it blends comedy into its plot is one of the reasons why this is a must see, worthwhile film that is simply lots of fun to watch.
Raymond W

October 10, 2011
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a hilarious, thrilling adventure through space. Although people unfamiliar with the source material (such as I) will be confused at a lot of things and events, the film's objective isn't to be faithful to the book or to make complete sense, it's purpose is to entertain and amuse. It successfully does both.
flixsterman
flixsterman

January 25, 2009
Unfortunately, a great deal of the wit and charm of the novel is muffled by the spectacle of special effects.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

March 3, 2009
Losing your planet isn't the end of the world.

Good weird movie. The cast was very good and the voices too. Be prepare to be dazzle by the absurdity that makes the movie real. I don't think lots of people will like or love this movie because of it's rarity and baldness but for the few that tried it and enjoy it I applaud you. Not for everyone, watch it with an open mind.

Waking up one morning, a British man named Arthur Dent awakes and find his house is going to be demolished. But for Arthur, the demolition of his house is only the beginning, Arthur's friend eccentric Ford Prefect reveals to Earth that he is not human and he is a alien from a planet called Bettleguise and is a researcher of a electronic book called "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Ford saves Arthur when Earth is wiped out by the Vogons who have demolished the Earth to make way for a new intergalactic motorway. Embarking on a intergalactic adventure, Arthur and Ford are joined by two-headed former president of the galaxy, Zaphod Beeblebrox, intelligent human woman Trillian and Marvin, a depressed android, travels across the galaxy on-board Zaphod's stolen spaceship "Heart of Gold". Where they set out to discover the meaning of life and travel to the newly constructed Earth II, where Slartibartfast reveals the truth about the original Earth, that was destroyed by the Vogons.
murphmann93
murphmann93

June 23, 2011
It was an ok film, I'd probably have to re watch it to really see if I liked it that much but otherwise it wasn't really my sort of film. Good but not great!
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

February 5, 2009
"All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world."

Mere seconds before the Earth is to be demolished by an alien construction crew, journeyman Arthur Dent is swept off the planet by his friend Ford Prefect, a researcher penning a new edition of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

REVIEW
Arthur Dent, a nondescript Earthman, is suddenly transported to outer-space when the planet Earth is demolished and he is rescued by his friend Ford Prefect, who turns out to be an alien hitch-hiker. The pair meet up with intergalactic president Zaphod Beeblebrox, a fast-talking heel in search of the ancient planet of Magrathea wherein it is rumoured lies the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything ...

Douglas Adams' brilliant, hilarious science-fiction classic has had an odd life-cycle; it was originally a BBC radio-series in 1978, which he then turned into a book and shortly after one of the greatest TV series ever made. He also wrote a film script, which languished for years and has now finally been made, not long after his untimely death. The result is a funny, eye-popping, exciting adaptation of his wonderful idea of a stuffy parochial Englishman adrift in the universe, contrasting a technologically majestic awe-inspiring infinity with officious alien bureaucrats, manic depressive robots and egotistical super-computers. There are so many funny ideas in the story that the film struggles to contain them - cosmic planning permission, death by poetry, improbability physics, customised planet-building, a gun that makes you see someone's point of view, and the Earth as an organic computer-matrix run by mice. Unfortunately, Adams and Karey Kirkpatrick's script suffers in this regard by rushing much of the plot and omitting some great material (such as Vroomfondel and Majikthise, the militant left-wing philosophers). It also adds in new scenes and characters not in the original story - the Vogons feature more prominently, there is a mad prophet called Humma Kavula (Malkovich) and Arthur and Trillian find time to have a romance, all of which I suspect is to make the movie a bit more ordered and palatable. The cast are all good (especially the voice-over actors), and there are some wonderful special-effects, such as Slartibartfast's superfast conveyor-belt transporter. I must confess a prejudice though - whilst this would be a terrific movie by any other standards, check out the 1980 TV series instead, which is a sensational filming of the book and showcases Adams' creative comic genius to perfection. This movie has several nods to it - there is a cameo by actor Jones (who was the original Arthur Dent), the original Marvin robot shows up waiting in a queue, and the theme-music by the Eagles is on the main title. But above all, remember, don't panic !
Jacob E

October 25, 2010
Never in the history of film has a movie come so close and so far removed from its own source material. I really hate this film because it gets so much right from the original book by Douglas Adams. The visual design of the space ships and the characters is literally perfect, directly from the books. The movie even makes a nice addition right at the beginning of the film that is sure to make fans of the book laugh. But everything else will make a fan of the book cringe. The basic premise of the story remains the same, but all the plot in the middle has been changed for no apparent reason. Douglas Adams wrote 5 books full of hilarious gags, so why would you make up new ones that aren't funny? This movie is very bittersweet for fans of the book like myself, but more bitter than sweet. The best part of the film can easily be found on YouTube, just search for "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish" and never actually watch this.
Leigh R

January 8, 2007
Stupid silly which made it kind of enjoyable. Loved Marvin!
Fernando Rafael Q

January 4, 2007
Totally bat-shit crazy. Sadly, not as fun nor funny. Martin Freeman and Mos Def are excellent, though. Wild, but instantly forgettable ride. For fans of the novels only.
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

November 16, 2009
I'm a huge sucker for boozy, off-color movies, and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is about as off-the-wall as films come. It's clever, hilarious, sardonic, and satirical. In my experience, this film and Douglas' book tends to have a bit of a cult following, and it is easy to see why. As far as the adaptation, it really leaves a lot to be desired, but it certainly is not bad. In some parts, the film is actually better than the book. I really, really loved the cast. Zooey Deschanel, Sam Rockwell, Stephen Fry, and Alan Rickman were perfect for their roles. It seems like most of the reviews out there are pretty negative, but, honestly, I really do not see why. No, the film is not profound, but it is incredibly goofy and fun, which seems to be it's intent. I just love how playful every minute of the film manages to be, and, truly, am a bit hung over from it.
Jeremy S

May 26, 2006
Everyone Left Clueless, Except The Fans. Hilariously funny, yet not for everyone. Needs in depth explanation from a reader of the book to make the movie truly enjoyable. Only watch this movie in presence of a die-hard fan, i.e. someone who actually can understand it.
KJ P

January 13, 2010
extremely weird, but oddly I enjoyed it!
Conner R

November 17, 2009
Creative, Imaginative, and doesn't rely on CGI to tell a story. Martin Freeman is great as the "everyman" thrown into a much larger universe. Sam Rockwell is also wonderfully over the top as the president of the universe who holds himself hostage. Zooey Deschanel is good as always and Alan Rickman is really funny as Marvin, the severely depressed robot. It's really an anti-blockbuster, which I love, by today's wants and needs of an audience. You'll either love it or hate it. Personally, I found it refreshing.
Anthony L

September 22, 2009
An insult! Watch the TV version or listen to the radio version or read the fucking book but don?t tell me this is a good adapt because it?s not, its rubbish! Douglas Adams must be spinning!