—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Reviews

August 24, 2014
I'm trying hard to like it but as I grew up with the radio series, and the TV series, it's not very easy
August 30, 2012
This is the kind of movie that you can only enjoy and not take it too seriously. I really like most of its satirical, and witty charm. Indeed, things are not always what they seem.
August 3, 2014
You simply cannot make a decent movie out of certain books and at the top of any such list must come The HH Guide. Once one understands this and sits down to watch the movie independently of the book, it works. The movie does not have the genius, random madness of the book as it tries to stich together a tale. As a result of the humanization of the characters, they appear more cartoonish than the philosophically lost in the book. Plus the dialogues simply do not have the power of the same words in the book. Yet despite all this, the movie is funny and watchable. Just don't compare with the book.
August 3, 2014
I checked my watch way too many times.
December 4, 2011
a respectable rendition of the book, though the hitchhiker trilogy doesn't lend itself film - much of the philosophical undertones were lost, despite the film staying as true to the book as possible. the story-line and characters were also "hollywood-ized" which made for some corny moments. the biggest problem was that it just looked silly because the vfx couldn't keep up with the visual demands of the story. i did enjoy the casting though, and will always have a soft spot for this franchise.
June 16, 2007
A great movie based upon one of the greatest book series of all time.
December 4, 2011
A harmless sci-fi romp. Kooky and funny but maybe not worthy of the 25 year wait (no pressure). Martin Freeman is the great everyman and therefore a great Arthur Dent. Alan Rickman, Billy Nighy and Steven Fry are wonderful but the American cast (yes, even Sam Rockwell) are unnecessary in what is essentially a very British film.
June 19, 2014
Delightfully zany flick with dialogue straight from the pages of the hilarious Douglas Adams novel. The cast is perfect--Martin Freeman, Bill Nighy, Alan Rickman and Sam Rockwell in particular! I hope they do the other novels in the series!
July 20, 2008
This movie was so very.....weird. Strange. Bizarre.
I did love the song the dolphins sing though. That was hilarious.
July 2, 2014
I honestly tried REALLY hard to like/enjoy this movie, but it was just incredibly BORING and already NOTHING special for me within the first 22 minutes of it, so I turned it OFF. What a disappointment, especially since it has such a BIG and TALENTED cast of GREAT actors.
June 24, 2014
An excellent movie full of charm and gags, there's a lot of complexity in this show that requires multiple viewings to appreciate & the subtle use of smarminess and smugness, done in kind of a weird, vacuous kind of way.. is very good. it's a good movie for an explosively insane year like 2005. Kind of a remedy for the 2005 summer sun summer stench kind of stupidity. Brilliant.
August 28, 2011
Smart and unsettling (in a good way) sci-fi/horror film from the brilliant Guillermo del Toro. This film kind of reminded me of David Cronenberg's "body horror" films like "The Fly", "Videodrome", "Dead Ringers" and especially "The Brood". Definitely not for all tastes, but if the trailer looked intriguing to you, you'll probably dig it.
June 12, 2014
I enjoyed it. It has its pacing problems, but the star-studded cast keeps me interested.
mysnia
June 24, 2006
So long and thanks for all the fish
June 3, 2014
Not quite as good as the 80's show but still very entertained every time I watch it.
January 27, 2012
Geeze I'm dying to watch this one!!!
December 30, 2013
I saw the 1981 BBC miniseries before I saw this movie. And when I saw this movie, I was entertained all the way. Some of the scenes were off, but the movie recreates the late Douglas Adams' world well. And the musical number in the beginning was just so catchy. In summary, it was an ok movie.
Charlie H.
May 24, 2014
Despite a brilliant cast and beloved story, this film fails to surpass the awesome radio plays that I have enjoyed as much as the book itself.
Just read the book!
NotEnoughSlavesInIt
April 12, 2014
70%
A decent sci-fi comedy flick.
March 21, 2014