Holes Reviews

½ February 1, 2009
I was quite hesitant to go for it, but having watched it, I have no regrets. It's a fun, watchable film. Nothing beyond that, though. Falling in (Holes) once shouldn't hurt; I can't surely say the same for more than once.
TheDudeLebowski65
March 17, 2013
I was apprehensive about watching Holes, but I am glad that I did. This film being the debut feature film of Shia LaBeouf in one of first big screen roles. I have to say that the film really impressed me, and I thought it was a very entertaining film that is perfect for the entire family. The cast do a great job in their parts and I really liked the plot of the movie overall. The film balances comedy, adventure and drama into one picture that is one of the best Disney films in the last ten years. This is a must see for viewers of all ages and it definitely is a well structured film that will keep you entertained for its two hour run time. The film has a terrific story that is supported by a varied cast of talented actors. LaBeouf is great here, and though he would be later so-so in the Transformers films, he displays some talent on-screen. This is a film that the whole family is sure to enjoy and it has something for everyone. Director Andrew Davis who also made the thrilling film The Fugitive directs this highly entertaining comedy adventure that is sure to delight film fans of all ages. Although there are some areas that could have improved upon, Holes is a terrific live action movie from Disney and it is a very entertaining film from start to finish. I was pleasantly surprised at the result of the film, and it is definitely one of the best most memorable family oriented comedies that I have seen. This is a truly unique film that if you come across it, you definitely shouldn't pass it up. Holes has it flaws, but is very good, solid and amusing. But above all, it has heart.
January 12, 2013
Definitely recommended to kids.
I wanted more of the story with Sam and Kissin' Kate Barlow,so,since there is a book i'll search a piece of detail there...
FiLmCrAzY
½ September 10, 2007
i love this movie, admittedly i didnt think i would becuase i was forced to read the book first in school and then had to watch this movie, lets face it the english department never pick good interesting books little alone movies! However i was surprised by how good it was and funny and just great to watch!
Its a fantastic cast , its weird to see Shia Labeouf in such a young movie and see how much hes matured since! a good movie for the whole family to watch!
DreamExtractor
August 15, 2011
This movie was actually pretty awesome, it keeps well to the book, it never got boring, and even with a huge hange of the main haracter from the book I really enjoy tis movie, it was cool and good, I watch it whenever its on tv, and a cool theme song.
August 2, 2006
An easy watching kids film with a fun plot.
sanjurosamurai
January 18, 2007
this is a great film with an original and fun plot. shia was great in this early role for him and the story moved well. a clean movie that kids can enjoy but adults will like more.
MeetMeinMontauk
May 24, 2009
Fabulous book, fabulous adaptation! Amazing kid actors, especially Shia.
AC rating: Yet again there was two different versions of commentary. One with the fabulous Louis Sachar and with the director (?) I think and the other with four of the kids, including Shia. Oh boy. Talk about your differences in insight. Although, mark my words, seriously, Shia LeBeouf will direct some day. Based on his more serious comments, someday he will.
July 23, 2010
Grade: B-
½ January 18, 2010
A great adaptation and the ultimate kid's movie for it's time. The cast did a great job and the story really translated well. I was really impressed at how well they were able to capture the mindset of a 13-year-old without making it seem corny. It's almost like Cool Hand Luke for children, which is probably the best movie to copy. Shia LaBeouf made Stanley Yelnats an even more memorable character than his literary counterpart.
½ January 13, 2010
I thought this movie was fantastic! Not much else to say, except for the fact the the chemistry between stanley and X-Ray was jaw dropping!
deano
½ November 16, 2006
With more twists than a sidewinder and more flashbacks than Rashomon, this family movie retains most of the ingredients of the novel, but a little breathing space might have aided some abrupt shifts in tone.
I believe this should be Shia LeBeouf's first role.
TomBowler
½ July 31, 2009
a clever delve into the butterfly effect theory, this film gave shia labeouf his real kick start.
June 30, 2009
Not gritty enough for what the book deserves, and I laughed every time the gang referred to Shia LaBeouf as "Caveman" because he is so, so obviously NOT, but I enjoyed the flashbacks and the nice bonding moments between the two boys. Still, I think Disney does better when it has nothing to work with versus when it has actual substance. Does that make sense? Fluff like Motocrossed, Ice Princess, Stuck in the Suburbs goes down the palate much more smoothly than the likes of this subversive kid's book.
½ June 10, 2009
honestly the reason why i dont like seeing movies in the theatre with my mom is crap like this... but yall wont tell her will you?? anyway, u know that kid that looks like charlottes web with an afro? right now hes jump-starting his career with another toaster strudel commercial! ...... also i want to shoot Shia Laboof right through his goofy hairdoo
May 11, 2008
Holes is a great diseny movie, and most movies fail to do the book justice. This one actually did better then most I have seen. I still like the book, but that's how it always works. This movie is worth watching and its fun too
June 14, 2006
Action director Andrew Davis enters unfamiliar terrain with this family friendly Disney movie. While kids in a detention camp are digging holes for no obvious reason flashbacks into the past of the region reveal more and more of the motives of the tyrannic camp leaders Sigourney Weaver and Jon Voight. Those flashbacks feel a bit out of place at times and give the middle part of the movie an odd flow to it. But the rest is pretty entertaining and especially the ending leading all strings together makes for a fine adventure movie for kids.
½ November 19, 2007
It's definitely a Disney flick...with the dramatic surrealness of childhood in place. But still a good movie.
puffchunk