Home Alone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Home Alone Reviews

December 23, 2010
An entertaining (but overrated) Christmas family movie that may be thin and silly (especially in its third act) but is also refreshingly funny and tender, with a great Oscar-nominated score by John Williams and hilarious performances by Culkin, Pesci and O'Hara.
Directors Cat
September 20, 2011
A very good slapstick family film backed up with good performances from the adult cast. Kulkin....not so much. I particularly enjoy the burglars enthusiasm in the film. By no means however one of the most brilliant christmas films out there. Over rated but christmas fun.
TheGame90
January 29, 2012
If you want some good old fashion family violence...look no further. This is brutal man. Those guys took the beating of a lifetime....And it's funny as hell. Great storytelling....very funny buildup to how they find out he's home alone...and how he finds out they are coming to break in. This was a good year for Pesci. Nothing bas about GoodFellas. But this is what he should have got the Oscar for... (don't poop your pants....it's a joke)...He was really good though...
blkbomb
½ January 19, 2011
Kevin McCallister: This is my house, I have to defend it.

"A Family Comedy Without The Family."

I've never been the biggest fan of Home Alone. That isn't to say that I hate it, but it just isn't a great family movie by any stretch of the imagination. It is relatively entertaining and moderately funny, but it ends up being just average. Culkin annoys the hell out of me in this movie and since he ends up being by himself for a good majority of the movie, annoying is going to be the lasting impression I take from it.

A family is going to Paris for Christmas. The night before they go, the power goes out and everyone wakes up late. In a rush to get to the airport, a little boy, Kevin, is left all alone at home. The family doesn't realize this until they are in the air on the way to Paris. To make matters worse, two burglars are robbing all the families that are gone on the families street, and since all of them are supposed to be gone, Kevin's house is on the list.

I will admit that as a kid I really did enjoy watching this movie, but over the years as I have watched it more and more, I have grown annoyed by the movie. It doesn't offer me anything. As a kid, the notion of being left at home is terrifying, but once you grow up it is easy to see that the situation isn't serious at all.

It isn't a horrible movie and it is sure to keep all the kids entertained and laughing at its childish humor throughout.
January 11, 2010
From the ridiculousness to the very funny (yet highly unlikely) premise, "Home Alone" is a classic holiday film, although it's probability levels sky-rocket and give the film a pile of laughable scenes. The film is extremely predictable right from the very first scene, but the fact that you can look over that to see a great, heartwarming, holiday comedy, is A-okay in my book. From an unlikely premise, to silly dialogue, to great comedy, and concluding with a heart-felt ending, this film is a real treat for the whole family. I am not ashamed to say that I really enjoy this film and I will be watching it many more times during the christmas seasons to come!
TheDudeLebowski65
September 8, 2011
Considering that I don't really like Macaulay Culkin, I'm surprised I even liked this. This was one of the films from my childhood and though it's funny, the film tends to drag on a bit too long, and at times I felt it was too sentimental. There's is plenty of laughs here and this is a fun film to watch as a family. Home Alone has a good cast of actors and the film is pretty entertaining. This is a fun, underrated film, and it shouldn't get the flack it received. Sure the film is implausible, but it's done as "entertainment", who cares if it wouldn't happen in real life. At times though the film does drag on a bit, and the comic bits slow down, and it's not that great, but as a whole, this is a film worth watching and is definitely one of those childhood favorites. This is perfect family comedy, and though it drags on a bit, it's still very much fun, and entertaining. For what it is, Home Alone is an entertaining film that is lots of fun. This is one of the family comedy classics. The film may not be perfect, but it definitely delivers a fun, humorous hour and a half. I still like this film for what it is, and considering that I don't like Culkin, that says something. Home Alone is still fun for today's audiences and is probably necessary Christmas viewing too. Though it's not the most memorable of comedies, Home Alone does have its charms and for what it is, it's a fun film. Home Alone doesn't deserve the flack it received and it should be noted that there are far worst comedies than this around. I liked this film, and if you want to enjoy an entertaining, fun comedy, give Home Alone a shot.
DreamExtractor
½ August 15, 2011
A Cgristmas classic, i watch this every year, I loved it, all of it, it was great, and hilarious.
August 1, 2011
This movie still gets alot of PT at home whenever my sister and I are looking for a good laugh. Such a good kids movie, our generation was the best.
murphmann93
June 24, 2011
A childhood favourite and a classic!
sergioogarcia
June 23, 2011
Mackulay Culkin at his best!
December 30, 2006
A finally got around to seeing this! Definitely one I would have enjoyed more as a kid I feel. The final part of the film is good as the kid fends off the burglars with home made traps. Just a bit of a slow build up until then.
May 20, 2011
Finally, Hughes, written a film who showing what he always presents indiscreet in another movies, when a simple person protect one place of bad people. Home Alone is fun and interesting, but, not so laughing.
September 6, 2010
This movie, written by 80s teen film legend John Hughes, is a great adventure, with both suspense and humor. Plus, it's one the whole family can enjoy. I highly recommend it.
½ November 6, 2007
Following watching The Goonies and being less than impressed with my revisit, it seemed a good idea to follow it up with this one. I wasn't a child when I first saw this one, I was in my late teens, so I figured my memory on this would be reliable!
As I remembered it, a cute story more aimed at kids than adults, but not unenjoyable. Macaulay Culkin very cute as Kevin, accidentally abandoned at home while his family fly to Paris for Christmas. Actually I did not remember how much of a little smart ass he is here! A few times, thought I would have left the little sod at home too. LOL.
It was also kind of sad to see John Candy and think of the loss his death was. I think a repeat of Uncle Buck might be on shortly! The whole cast here are good. His horrible child relatives and his stressed out mum, (Catherine O'Hara). The bumbling burglars are a little over the top, but okay, it's a kid's movie, so I can let it off the hook!
March 23, 2006
Kevin playfully roughs up some burglers instead of calling the cops on them. He also fails to call the cops on his dick parents.
½ December 25, 2010
Can not even believe this movie was made in the year I was born, which is 1990. Macaulay Culkin is totally adorable and this movie could be the greatest christmas movie of all time. Home Alone 2 and 3 could not even compare with this one. It's contains both comedy and action. A funny movie to be watched with the whole family in the holiday.
November 26, 2009
Debatably the greatest modern Christmas movie of all time. This sums up the entire Christmas experience as well as what it's like to be a nine year old. While Kevin is by no means the nicest kid to ever live, he's by far the most lovable one. He says everything and does everything you wanted to do at that age, including sledding off a flight of stairs and using a bee-bee gun. He also fights off a pair of thieves out to steal Christmas with traps and mind games galore. The movie is so re-watchable and well put together that I don't see it ever becoming stale or old news. Macaulay Culkin's child acting is unmatched, he's both hilarious and genuine.
½ June 5, 2009
AWWWW YEEEAAAAHH!! now thats what im talkin about yo
Chiefilms
March 2, 2008
Who doesn't love this movie?

Update: John Hughes was a robot from the 80's to the early 90's. The screenplay is in fact a robot.