—— Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

A Home at the End of the World Reviews

February 8, 2012
an interesting story with good acting.
December 31, 2013
Another film that happen to be more interesting for it's cast than it's subject in my opinion but some people might argue this idea simply because this film deals with unconventional love & AIDS in the 80's.
tina tina
December 6, 2013
after watching it i had a feeling i was drunk and i dozed of on important parts of the movie, but i didnt those important parts just weren't there. Coli farrell is great! there are many different and important topics that this movie has, but it doesn't explore them at all.
August 7, 2013
A film about childhood friendship, brotherhood and partnership to the end. Colin Farrell reprised his role of same gender bonding since playing Oliver Stone's Alexander. Colin did an admirable job as being the sensitive caring friend available lover to his gay best friend even though he was heterosexual.
June 23, 2013
Although I didn't care for the beginning, the story grew on me, because the main thread was that love is what is important in life, no matter what form it comes in. Colin Farrell"s role was a very different one for him, but he did well in it, as did Dallas Roberts and Robin Wright, although she was really too old for her part. And Sissy Spacek was her usual wonderful self as an actress. It held my interest and I wanted more in the end, which is always a good sign in a movie.
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

May 29, 2013
I'm so used to fast-paced American film, that when a real story unfolds i have to force myself to slow down and pay attention. That was the case here, and it was worth hanging in for. It's a beautiful look at love in all its permutations and family and how getting family and love doesn't always follow the official playbook.
March 9, 2013
Very touching, soulful piece of cinema about the shared lives of several characters, and the fluidity of love. That's the take-away message here, that sometimes love is just so pure and knows no labels and follows no conventions. Farrell is surprisingly good as the lead character, although his personality change from teenage to adulthood seems a little sketched rather than drawn. I suppose it's supposed to be that the adult Bobby Morrow was like his child self and his teen self rolled into one, hesitant, ethereal character. Whatever it is, Farrell does it convincingly- and one wonders why he doesn't take more dramatic roles, since it's clear he can act. Sissy Spacek gives the second best performance in this, but that's rather underselling it, since it's played so touchingly. Robin Wright and Dallas Roberts also do a good job, but her 'crazy girl' and his 'skittish gay' are perhaps a little more lazily realised- both being clichés. Fortunately this is the sort of film where that doesn't matter. It might ramble, and ultimately is a little bit too free-form- but that's a plus point in my book. Great soundtrack as well. So if you don't mind films that are about the journey more than the destination, then this is one for you.
January 13, 2013
You don't care for these characters and Farrell doesn't seem right for a role like this where he has to play sweet, earnest, and confused. The guy just looks like he wants to kick too much ass for that.
December 16, 2012
Made me think. Great performances!
January 9, 2011
Happened upon this on cable one day and it was definitely the best thing that happened to me that day. Enjoyed the quirkiness and intensity of the characters. Loved everything about it but have to give the biggest rave to Colin Farrell. He played the part to the hilt. Crazy for a good melodrama and this one delivered.
November 12, 2012
I absolutely love this film and the performance by Mr. Colin Farrell!
hipsterfilmreviews
September 25, 2011
Beautiful beautiful beautiful depiction of lsd.I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the first half, which was basically all character development. The second half (adult bobby as colin farrell) was the "current-plot" and plot points were unexpanded to the extent that they felt like bullet points that the screen writer had made in his first draft. So I dunno. I'd probably give the first half at least a 4 for what it did to my face. But then basically the last three quarters is just convoluted egotisical love triangle drama, with a full dose of Farrell's dopey face doing what I can only describe as an impression of an Eloi on sedatives. I'd recommend watching it at least once, because the first part is ...you'd be missing something good if you didn't. The second half isn't even that bad, it's just a bit disappointing after all that glee."The thing is, you don't look quite like yourself this way, you know what i'm saying? And if you walk around looking like someone other than who you are, you could end up getting the wrong job, the wrong friends, who knows what-all. You could end up with someone else's whole life."
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

October 2, 2012
A free-spirited, sexually flexible threesome form a makeshift family unit during the 1980s.
Colin Farrell wasn't as annoying as he could have been. That's the best that I can say about his performance in this nice, sincere film. He plays Bobby with a childlike innocence, and the film as a whole takes on his naivete, which isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's about characters who create their own oasis in a world that attempts to thrust them into limiting categories.
Dallas Roberts's Jonathan carries the film; his character has the most conflict and the most to gain out of the peace that the characters eventually establish, and Roberts's naturalistic performance is eminently believable. Robin Wright's work as Clare reminds me of Anne Hathaway's performance in Rachel Getting Married because it seems like an actress playing edgy and strange for the sake of edgy and strange; she's not believable in a role that doesn't work for her.
Overall, I liked A Home at the End of the World because its theme of defying social perceptions in favor of a small community - a cadre of love - charms me despite my cynical belief that such a group could never exist in real life.
June 6, 2012
Unconventional...challenging the norm; that is what tries to be magnificent about this film. Even though I liked the movie, the book is leaps and bounds better. It is almost like Michael Cunningham was writing about his first love...and who knows? Maybe he was. When speaking of the film, it does dabble in magic. Colin Farrell was a good choice for the role of Bobby, and Dallas Roberts has his fits and spurts of greatness. Overall, I thought the movie captured moments of the book's intrigue, but it couldn't quite harness it all.
April 11, 2012
Some points taken off for Colin Farrell's mullet.
March 1, 2012
Based on his novel of the same name, Michael Cunningham has written a screenplay that, although similar to The Hours in theme, is very unique. Its focus is on our search for acceptance, for the people who define us, for a home, even if it is at the end of the world.
February 2, 2012
One of the most overlooked movies of the last decade. One of Farrell's best roles.
January 24, 2012
A solid enough flick about a man who can never quite grip with loneliness.
December 30, 2011
The characters have such a depth you can't help but feel for them but the movie itself is so strange it's distracting.
December 14, 2011
Great performances ... Great Movie!!!!