Honey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Honey Reviews

½ February 28, 2011
It's son-father-religion triangle that is narrated in best possible way.The beautiful ending turned this small movie to a masterpiece . Didn't expect such a great movie from turkey's cinema. Honey alongside Distant is one of the movies that define turkish cinema in current century.
December 16, 2010
The last film of the trilogy, winner of the Golden Bear this year, tells the story of Yusuf when a sweet but shy little boy and his deep and strong relationship with his dad.

Naturalism, quietness, simplicity. Lovely.

To see: Süt and Yumurta.

½ January 28, 2011
The film can be felt through the expressive eyes of this amazing boy actor from Turkey, without whom the whole experience would be indifferent.
½ January 5, 2011
This Turkish movie BAL, stood out for its amazing landscape, where it was filmed, somewhere in the Turkish mountains, close to the Black Sea. It was a very slow paced movie, showing the little boy Yusuf, who suffered from severe stuttering, but had a close tie with his father and only with him he whispered and talked.Director Semih Kaplanoglu put more emphasis on the images,telling the story without much dialogue. Here the acting and the facial expressions were important, the music was minimum, even so the movie created a suspense, made the viewer wonder,what shall become of Yusuf? And we would find it out at the end. Turkish child actor Bora Altas who played Yusuf did this amazingly well and showed many heart warming scenes.Hope it will be in the nominations for Best Foreign movies at the Oscars.
July 27, 2012
Nothing complicated, except the task of understanding life.
½ July 24, 2012
I gave it 30% because after I watched it this movie made sure that I went outside to paint my gate, cut the grass, wash the car and feed the chickens......an effort to make up for the fact that I had just spent the most unproductive 1hr and 40 minutes of my life! The script is non existent and most of the movie is taken up by silence or people talking about religion. The scenery and style od direction is supposed to make up for this and form the main focus of the movie, letting the characters physical relationships tell the story???? I think not, there are tons of great movies out there with sweeping landscapes and artistic direction which makes this movie nothing more than one big yawn in comparison, from start to finish. Unless you enjoy bees swarming around a bucket and people glaring at each other, long camera shots of up to 1 minute long of someone sleeping or walking around the house in silence. Quite frankly as long as we are talking about swarming, I have had more fun watching flies swarm around a shapely turd!
February 4, 2011
it's not a film for festival audience, not an interesting story, and not having any hihgly intellectual ideas. and its slow. but i'm not that kind of audience. + golden bear winner in berlin international film festival.
½ January 9, 2012
very very good. Child actor Bora Altas was excellent.. The director Semih Kaplanoglu really really professional...
½ December 14, 2011
But dull.
I really want to visit Turkey now, though.
December 10, 2011
A Turk named Yusuf? Sounds familiar. I'm in.
½ July 26, 2011
This Turkish film is beautifully presented and allegorically poetic in true-arthouse-tradition, but it loses its momentum a little towards the end. The film's strong points are the masterfully restrained performances from the three leads and the breathtaking cinematography, which - regardless of whether you read the subtitles or not - makes the film a mesmerising watch, nonetheless.
March 27, 2011
A pure contemplative experience. The sweetness of the protagonist look contrasts with a bitter plot,showing the anachronisms of today's society.
March 23, 2011
Hmmmmm Interesting film..... let's see!!
½ January 28, 2011
January 27, 2011
This is the best film I have seen in 2010. Beautiful, poetic, hypnotic, and a cinematic feast all around.