Hook Reviews

½ April 29, 2012
A far too long set-up eventually leads to many imaginative and iconic scenes, but that imagination runs wild and all too often derails things; the result is a film with great highlights, but with long stretches of boredom while you wait for it to grow up.
½ July 15, 2015
Everyone knows the story of Peter Pan but what happens when he lives Neverland?

In the beginning Hook, directed by Steven Spielberg (Jaws), it tells us about Peter Pan all grown up.
In the beginning we find out Peter (Robin Williams) picks his job over his family. He even misses his son?s baseball game. When his family goes to London to visit Peter?s wife?s grandmother Wendy (Maggie Smith), captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman) takes Peters kids to Neverland so he can fight Peter in the ??War of the Century.??
Unfortunately Peter doesn?t remember that he?s Peter Pan so he has to relearn everything, especially how to fly, to save his kids. Tinkerbell , played by Julia Roberts, and the Lost Boys help him on the way.
The movie is a great movie because all of the actors played their parts well especially Robin Williams as Peter Pan Dustin Hoffman as Captain Hook, and Dante Basco as the Los boy?s leader named Rufio. I also, liked the set of the movie because it fit the story well and it was a cool picture of Neverland.

Overall I thought it was an excellent movie I recommend it because it?s an action movie that keeps you interested.

I give Hook 4 stars.
July 12, 2015
Wonderful Spielberg, wonderful
November 21, 2011
Despite a heart-warming performance by Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman's notable performance of Captain Hook, Spielberg's adaptation of Peter Pan falls short of being as magical and lively as Disney's animated version.
May 23, 2010
This has a special place in my heart. I think Hook has good and bad qualities but I'm nice enough to overlook the bad. The film can be sappy and very mushy but I like the sentimentality and the fun it also has. There is still a lot to love in this film and I'll defend this movie no matter what. I always enjoy watching it and puts a smile on my face.
½ July 1, 2015
The cinematographic style (DP and lens types) make the film adventurous. The story has been told a thousand times, but not from the perspective of people in the real world, with real problems.
May 26, 2015
It may not be the best film in the world, but Hook has an enduring quality of it's own that is good for the whole family to watch.
½ May 13, 2015
84% on my Tomatometer.
May 8, 2015
Quirky, different, endearing, and hilarious.
April 26, 2015
Fuck the critics, this movie rules.
June 13, 2007
"Be sure you do, Miz Bell, or no amount of clapping will bring you back from where I'll send you..."
June 9, 2007
I absolutely loved Peter Pan and I didnt realize julia roberts was tinkerbelle.
April 11, 2011
The weakest of the films of Steven Spielberg.
March 5, 2015
not as good as i remember
February 3, 2012
This certainly had it's memorable moments, but it was WAY too long and went WAY overboard on the exposition! The effects are very dated, and I was not an overly huge fan of the set/costume design. That being said, Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman gave it their best, even if Spielberg didn't.
August 12, 2014
I am disgusted at critics who apparently don't understand this movie at all.

It's a story.

But it's more.

It's reality given to adults to warn them of their selfishness as they grow older.

Children, the greatest gift of all - who become the adults who either revere, cherish and mentor their children - become so only if the parents don't forget their happy childhoods or maybe even more importantly, their very unhappy childhoods and a vision and promise that those things will never happen to the next generation nor the next.

Robin Williams gives the perfect performance. If I could, I would give him an award for one of the most "teaching moment in an entertaining and profound manner" films.

How many times have I watched "Hook"? Probably on the order of 40-50 times - and i still to this day can pick out parts of the movie that I hadn't noticed before or that have such a deep meaning and holds such promise for adults to "get it" with kids and even with other adults.

You must have hope.

You must have love.

You must be engaged with your family - or why are you there?

Abuse is layers - some are neglect, some are physically painful and others are mental torture, this movie shows that neglect can be one of the most powerful things that children can EVER try to fight - it's almost invisible to outsiders and has such a devastating effect on those who must live without direction nor mentoring of any kind that matters to their adults and future generations beyond them.

God makes movies - this is one that should be watched, heeded and given as much credence as Mary Poppins and others that show that parents are not engaged, but when they do become so, things change, lives enrich, society becomes more refined.

The downfall of America is rife with bad movies that teach that "bad is good", this movie shows, without apology, the bad side of neglect and the remedy, engaging, caring, love unfeigned.

Thanks Robin, I miss you.
½ August 4, 2014
First of all, this movies run time is to long for a family movie. It starts out slow, the first 50 minutes to about the first hour, a lot of that could have been cut out and it would be a lot better.. Even though it does get better after those 50-60 minutes, it doesn't mean that this movie is like picture frame perfect or anything, several scenes feel like they could've been done better. This movie has it's very exciting scenes and some great heart, and it does have some of that Spielberg charm to it, but this is not one of his strongest films. Once the characters develop into those characteristics we loved from the Disney version and the book, you realize these actors are doing a really good job playing their roles, Hoffmann was really good as Hook. The thing is, this movies plot and story isn't really focus so much on Hook as it should for the movie to be called Hook. The story isn't really about Hook, it's about Peter Pan getting his magic back so he will be able to save his kids from Hook. So if I were to title this movie, I would say it should've been titled Another Pan.
Overall, this is a family movie that parents will probably enjoy watching with their kids, if you don't mind sitting for more than 2 hours watching it. The first 1/3 will be slow, but it gets better from there. There is the Spielberg charm but there are things that could be changed including a new title.
November 30, 2007
Childhood classic. Loved it as a kid, love showing it to my kids. One of the best family films of all time.
½ February 6, 2015
During the 1980's, Steven Spielberg toyed with doing a new version of J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan, but he left the project in 1985, it was given to Nick Castle (The Last Starfighter (1984)) who reworked it so that Peter Pan had left Neverland and grew up. Then Castle left the project, and Spielberg returned, this time with an all star cast. The result is Spielberg's oddest film, and downright peculiar indeed. Peter Banning (Robin Williams) is a corporate lawyer who with his wife Moira (Caroline Goodall) and children Jack (Charlie Korsmo) and Maggie (Amber Scott) travel to London to see Moira's grandmother Wendy Darling (Maggie Smith), who helped Peter find a family as an orphan years ago. While at a function, the children are kidnapped, and Wendy tells Peter that he's Peter Pan, which his disbelieves. That is until Tinker Bell (Julia Roberts) appears, and takes him to Neverland. There, his children are being held by Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman) and Smee (Bob Hoskins), and Tinker Bell and the Lost Boys need Peter to remember who he really is. It should have been a good film, but the tone is all over the place, and Spielberg doesn't feel confident with the Neverland scenes at all. You can see that he left the film for a reason, and it ends up looking like a big budget pantomime with everyone overacting. It's a shame, as it could have worked with another director.