Hoosiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hoosiers Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
February 10, 2014
Hoosiers is one of the finest sports dramas that have ever been made. The film managed to set the standard for all to follow. I've seen my fair share of sports films, and Hoosiers ranks among the essential films to watch. The film has a simply story, yet has plenty of heart to really make it a standout feature that boasts a great cast of actors headed by Gene Hackman. The film is engaging from start to finish. Hoosiers for me is one of the better films dealing the sport of Basketball. There has been other films tackling the sport, but none has had the power of capturing your attention that Hoosiers. The film, I thought wasn't clichéd, unlike every recent genre film. I much prefer this subtle Sports film due to the fact that it doesn't overdo anything. Hoosiers is a well constructed drama that will surely appeal to genre fans, and if you're skeptical about seeing this due to that fact that there have been countless films of the same nature in recent years, well be prepared to enjoy this film as it is a well acted, directed movie that tells a terrific story. Even if you're not a fan of the sport, this is worth seeing due to the cast, its story and its heart. Filmgoers will surely love this movie, and it still is a genre classic that has yet to be outdone. If you love a good, well structured drama, Hoosiers is the film for you. Hackman is terrific in his performance and it adds so much to the overall enjoyment of movie. Hoosiers is a terrific Sports film than anyone can enjoy no matter if you follow the sport or not.
blkbomb
½ May 15, 2011
Coach Norman Dale: Welcome to Indiana basketball.

"They needed a second chance to finish first."

Hoosiers is one of the most manipulative films you'll ever see. Everything the movie does is designed around manipulating the audience as much as possible. Every foul seems to be against Hickory. The referees seem very one sided towards the opponent. The townspeople are against the coach. The underdog story is amped up twentyfold here and no ones hiding that fact. Yet, unlike other films, the manipulation here doesn't piss me off. It seems almost necessary, while in other films, it seems all to unnecessary.

When I was a young kid, my whole life was sports. I wouldn't watch a movie unless it had something to do with sports. Hoosiers was one of my favorites. I haven't watched it in probably 8 of 9 years, except for glimpses on the television, so reuniting with it was special and enjoyable. The film is very heartfelt in all regards. While it is a story about an underdog team who makes it to the state championship; it is more about second chances then anything else. Coach Dale was suspended from his collegiate coaching job and hasn't coached in something like 10 years. This is his second chance. There's a drunk father, who knows a lot about basketball, who gets a second chance when Coach Dale asks him to help out. A player walks out during the first practice, but gets a second chance when the coach allows him back on the team. Another player doesn't listen to his coach and gets benched, but gets a second chance when he is allowed to play again. The second chance theme is all over this film. It's basically a walking advertisement for the saying, "Everyone deserves a second chance" and just about everyone in the film gets one.

Hoosiers is a film that is just a good time to watch. You really find yourself cheering for the team, which is a trait of a good sports oriented movie, like Friday Night Lights. If you don't feel like a fan of the team who is being filmed then the film has failed. You'll definitely cheer for this team, and if you don't, you probably don't have a heart. The movie has some really good performances from Gene Hackman, Barbara Hershey, and Dennis Hopper. All in all, it's a one of a kind sports drama, that although predictable and as I said earlier, highly manipulative, is one you should be able to enjoy time and time again.
DreamExtractor
March 29, 2011
Hoosiers is an incredible sports film and my #2 favorite sports film of all time (behind Rudy).
MANUGINO
January 26, 2010
They needed a second chance to finish first.

Good decent basketball film. Dennis Hopper was actually nominated for an Oscar for best supporting actor for this film in 1986. I don't particularly have a taste for Gene Hackman film's but I just had to watch this film, basketball is in my blood and I love sports movies.

A classic tale of redemption, this film features a volatile coach and a former star player-turned alcoholic leading a small-town basketball team on an improbable run to the Indiana high school championship game. Coach Norman Dale encounters several hurdles in his path: a feisty teacher determined to keep the best player from going out for the team, a town chock full of second-guessing fathers, and a group of undisciplined athletes. Story inspired by the Milan (Indiana) Indians' state title of 1954.
May 14, 2011
by the numbers sports movie ("hey, we didn't have a chance, but through work and forgetting our many differences ... we win! we win!") with nonetheless good performances that carry this horse to the glue factory.
½ August 8, 2010
It would have been another typical sports movie of the underdogs in the big league if there wasn't so much tension, drama, insecurity over whether this would be a truly amazing story, or another happy tale of accidents. Hackman and Hopper are both perfect in their roles, especially Hopper who plays a drunk wanting to reconnect with his son through the sport they both love. That Oscar nomination was worthy. Overall, it was a true classic.
June 29, 2009
Predictable but still OK
April 27, 2008
Every white guy who plays basketball wishes he was Jimmy Chitwood.
Chiefilms
March 3, 2008
Gene Hackman and Dennis Hooper put on great performances, good basketball flick.
½ August 29, 2006
my favorite sports movie. Rousing, funny and tremdously entertaining. Hackman gives a brilliant and inspiring performance.
December 2, 2011
Hoosiers is one of the greatest sports films of all time, and I am proud to say that this and Rudy are my favorite sports films ever made. This is a timeless classic.
Harlequin68
December 19, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Hoosiers" takes place in 1951 in Hickory, Indiana where Norman Dale(Gene Hackman), once a college basketball coach and for the last ten years in the navy, is given a second chance by an old friend(Sheb Wooley), now the high school principal, to coach the boys' high school basketball team. In the school, there are only 64 boys, 7 of whom show up for practice. To make matters more difficult, the best player in the school refuses to play.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Hoosiers" is an entertaining and unabashedly sentimental film about redemption(it should be noted that Dale's sin falls on the unforgivable side) that sells its soul about halfway through. Look, I was not expecting a lot of socio-political analysis here but some complexity and soul-searching would have been nice.(Which the film of "Friday Night Lights" was kind enough to provide.) At its heart is a debate about sports in an academic setting and the best way to serve the students. Winning in sports in high school is a high that may not be matched in future years. High school should not be the zenith of someone's life but instead the entry point for adulthood.[/font]
October 27, 2010
I love me a feel good sports movie about overcoming adversity. And sign me up any time Gene Hackman is a coach as he has that role down to the t.

While this movie has the sports movie checklist virtually filled, you don't really care because it has miles of heart from beginning to end. Beautiful character development and of course drama on and off the court that make you care about each player on the team and their journey through the Indiana State Basketball tournament.
Anthony L.
June 20, 2012
Hoosiers is an excellent underdog film and is among on of the greatest sports films i've ever seen. Gene Hackman is greatly casted as the lead and all supporting actors/actresses (Dennis Hopper, Sheb Wooley etc.) add more to the movie. Although this film may be cliched, you can't help but love Hoosiers.

Favorite Scene: I bet like many other people, the last 10 seconds of the finals game
Sam E.
February 20, 2012
Good movie
½ June 22, 2007
I remember this being a good movie,but I only saw it once
½ July 16, 2011
This looked unique with it's portrayal of the 50s era of high-school basketball. Gene Hackman plays a good leading character but Dennis Hopper (RIP) takes the cake.
September 7, 2009
Good movie. It's very predictable, but it's still touching.
chadroesti
½ March 19, 2007
One of the greatest sports movies of all time. Gene Hackman in his most remember roles as Hickory's new basketball coach set in 1954. For those of you young uns, this is Coach Carter 50 years ago. Dennis Hopper is good here too.
DrStrangeblog
½ January 30, 2009
Hollywoodized to the max, Gene Hackman was my reason for watching and as usual he makes it worthwhile,.