Hoot

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Hoot Reviews

Alexander D

October 12, 2011
A rarely decent family film based on an award-winning kids' novel. [FULL REVIEW: LATER.]
Richard C

July 30, 2010
it was okay. it wasnt bad but it was great. nothing really amazing or great about it. C
KJ P

January 26, 2010
A great film for kids! Mildly recommendable for adults, but jut fine for teens that have nothing better to do! It has heart!
Red L

September 11, 2007
A cheesy kid's movie. Save the owls!
Leigh R

November 9, 2006
Cute little film.
Jeff B.
Jeff B.

March 7, 2011
Parrot-Heads of the World, unite! Not only does Hoot, the eco-friendly family film from director Will Shriner, incorporate a whole new slate of mellow Jimmy Buffet songs, it also incorporates his even mellower acting chops! The good news: The songs are the best part of this film. The bad news: The songs are not very good.

Based on the award-winning children's book, this PG-rated flick follows the new kid in school (Logan Lerman) as he helps his new friends (Brie Larson, Cody Linley) stop a developer from chasing out a family of owls.

What worked well on paper doesn't necessarily translate to cinema screens very well, mostly due to the heavy-handedness of Shriner. Yes, TV's Blooper's "Video Vault" guy is still alive. Sadly, however, he should've kept this Afterschool snoozer in the video vault. The movie comes off as slow, cloying, and preachy as a very special episode of Blossom on Valium.

Bottom line: Cheese in paradise
Dannielle A

September 7, 2006
It was more of a kid's movie, but it was alright.
Juan C

May 28, 2011
the most enjoyable and original film for families that leaves an important message you'll be certian of. it's a suprisingly good film with some right moves. funny and enjoyable, you'll be hooting for more. B+
Jackson W

July 1, 2011
This recycled story of animal-loving teens, despite having a literary undertone, is completely uninteresting.
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

January 23, 2010
This is a kids' movie about Roy Eberhart (Logan Lerman) who moves to the small town of Coconut Cove, Florida. He first faces the usual problems of blending in with the other kids at his middle school and dealing with the local school bully on the bus. After a rocky start he meets a tall blonde girl (Brie Larson) who slowly comes to trust him, and her stepbrother, the barefoot speed demon( Cody Linley) nicknamed "Mullet Fingers," for his manual fishing skills who has a passion for the environment and is strongly opposes the growing tourism industry. Together the three of them team up to thwart a greedy restaurant executive and try to protect endangered burrowing owls from being bulldozed at an illegal construction site.

The meaning and lesson in this movie is a nice one because what was done to the owls was illegal anyway. But one illegality does not condone another e.g. vandalizing the property etc so I would advise children seeing it to have an adult capable of explaining the moral implications of the actions taken by the teens in this film. Robert Wagner makes a token appearance as Mayor Grandy and Luke Wilson does a decent job in his role of Officer Delinko. You will love the music of Jimmy Buffett that was played throughout the movie. Filmed in South Florida, the scenery is beautiful and natural, the owls are adorable and the movie highlights an interesting environmental issue about doing all you can to save endangered animals.
William G

November 7, 2006
An overwhelmingly lackluster creation that somehow passes for family fare.
Sylvester K

December 30, 2011
A good message failed to convey, due to extremely bad acting from everyone, even Luke himself. It's just very boring, nothing exciting happened, Woot is this that I've just watched?
Sarah P

May 2, 2010
Having read the book first, I was less impressed with the move version than I think I would have been otherwise. The book version was more intense with more heart. This was just sort of mediocre.
Sunil J

January 31, 2008
I hate stupid movies like this that make kids look retarded.
Nate H

June 6, 2007
Pretty weak. Luke is generic as usual, the story is a carbon copy of Hiaasen's novels but without any of the intrigue or humor, and a movie based on children turned outcast environmental terrorists is a pretty big stretch anyway. Awkward.
January 29, 2012
Yup, I watched it because of Logan Lerman. He was so adorable in this movie. Not for my age group, but it's a fun film for younger kids.
cappieforpresident
October 14, 2009
Not as good as I thought it would be. 5 good actors as well - Brie Larson, Cody Linley, Dean Collins, Logan Lerman and Luke Wilson... but they couldn't make it great anyway. But they definitely made it better than it would've been with another cast. Kind of funny movie, I guess. It was OK.
jscottcorley
August 14, 2009
No one is going to see this but me, but I will say that it was nice to see a kids movie without any sexual undertones or lousy parents. The problem I had was the lack of time spent on the damn owls.
June 8, 2008
I loved it

I haven't seen it in a long time

I have the book
yodalewis
June 2, 2008
Good film. Why on Earth you would befriend an owl? Owls are the most evil looking creatures on the planet.