Box Office Guru Wrapup: Hop Rules First April Weekend

Source Code, Insidious open to decent numbers.

New releases all fared well as the April box office kicked off with the Easter-themed hit Hop which powered its way to number one playing well to family audiences. Older adults drove the action thriller Source Code to a second place debut while fright fans lined up for the new horror pic Insidious which finished in third. But overall ticket sales continued to struggle as last year's top four films alone grossed more than all films this weekend combined.

Universal delivered the biggest opening ever for a kidpic in April with its Easter Bunny flick Hop which bowed to an estimated $38.1M. The PG-rated hybrid of animation and live-action averaged a potent $10,650 from a very wide launch in 3,579 theaters and connected with its target audience of children and their parents with a debut that exceeded pre-release expectations. Universal and its promotional partners attacked the marketplace from all angles with marketing tie-ins designed to engage consumers - and especially those all-important decision-making moms - in numerous ways. The estimate matched the bow of Rango which currently holds the record for 2011's largest opening weekend. Final numbers to be released on Monday will determine if the rabbit film can edge Johnny Depp's lizard toon.

With no huge stars appearing on screen or providing voices, the $63M-budgeted Hop was promoted as being from the producer of Despicable Me and the director of Alvin and the Chipmunks. Those overachievers grossed a combined $469M from North America alone and were crowd-pleasers with kids so families felt safe coming out for this new offering. A familiar Easter Bunny storyline and colorful trailers helped too as did a release date a few weeks before the family-friendly holiday. With a CinemaScore grade of A- and no new kidpics slated for next weekend, the road ahead looks promising although the 3D toon Rio will cause a major distraction on April 15. Overall, Hop enjoyed the fifth-biggest opening ever for April which generally is a slow month at multiplexes.

The well-reviewed sci-fi film Source Code opened in second place with an estimated $15M from 2,961 theaters for a good $5,076 average. Starring Jake Gyllenhaal as a soldier that takes multiple trips back in time in hopes of preventing a train disaster, the PG-13 film attracted some of the best reviews of the year for an action film and debuted just a few notches behind recent adult-skewing thrillers like Limitless ($18.9M), The Adjustment Bureau ($21.2M), and Unknown ($21.9M). But its B CinemaScore suggests that the coming weeks may not be smooth sailing. Produced for $32M, Source Code played to older men with studio research showing that 54% of the audience was male and 64% was over 30.

New distributor FilmDistrict got off to an encouraging start with its first release, the horror picture Insidious, which bowed to an estimated $13.5M in third place. The PG-13 chiller averaged a good $5,605 from 2,408 locations and took advantage of a severe lack of competition as 2011 has barely seen any scary movies be released. Marketed as being from the makers of Paranormal Activity and Saw helped it to reach its target audience and the rating certainly broadened the appeal to younger teens looking for a non-gory scare. Reviews were quite good for this genre and Saturday sales enjoyed a 12% bump - something not often seen with horror titles. Insidious debuted ahead of expectations establishing FilmDistrict as a distributor to watch for.

Tumbling 57% from its top spot debut was the kidpic sequel Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules which took in an estimated $10.2M in its second weekend for fourth place. The Fox release, which cost just $20M to produce, has grossed a solid $38.4M in ten days and is headed for the vicinity of $55M, or just slightly below the $64M of its predecessor from last spring.

The Bradley Cooper-Robert De Niro hit Limitless followed with an estimated $9.4M, off only 38%, for a $55.6M total in 17 days for Relativity. Lionsgate's Matthew McConaughey legal drama The Lincoln Lawyer also held up well in its third round slipping only 34% to an estimated $7.1M for a $39.6M cume to date. Both films are benefiting from strong word-of-mouth.

On the other hand, audiences abandoned the stylish action fantasy Sucker Punch which collapsed in its sophomore outing falling a steep 68% to an estimated $6.1M. The pricey $75M production has banked just $29.9M in ten days and is not likely to collect much more with a $35-40M final likely for Warner Bros. Rango, the year's top-grossing title, dropped 53% and took in an estimated $4.6M pushing Paramount's sum to $113.8M.

Alien flicks Paul and Battle: Los Angeles were once again neighbors on the box office chart and this time rounded out the top ten. Universal's comedy collected an estimated $4.3M, down 45%, and has taken in $31.9M to date. Sony's action pic fell harder with a 54% decline to an estimated $3.5M. The invasion film's domestic total stands at $78.5M while the overseas tally crossed the century mark this weekend with $100.7M putting the global cume at $179.2M.

In limited release, Sony Classics platformed this year's Oscar and Golden Globe winner for best foreign language film In A Better World in four sites in New York and Los Angeles and grossed an estimated $35,400. The Danish film averaged a respectable $8,850 per theater and earned mostly good reviews from U.S. film critics. The bullying drama played numerous film festivals like Toronto and Sundance and was released in Scandinavia last fall.

The top ten films grossed an estimated $111.8M which was down a sizable 33% from last year when Clash of the Titans opened in the top spot with $61.2M; and off 24% from 2009 when Fast & Furious debuted at number one with $71M. The two films still stand as April's biggest opening weekends by a wide margin.

Author: Gitesh Pandya, Box Office Guru!

Comments

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Ouch, sucks for Sucker Punch. Think the Source Code will hold well.

Apr 3 - 05:08 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

That's a bummer. I really enjoyed Sucker Punch. Actually just purchased the soundtrack.

Apr 3 - 06:46 PM

General Wiz

Carlos Flores

Saw insidious. Thought it was a solid horror flick. I did however notice at one point you could see a drawing of the mask from saw. It was on the chalkboard at the school that guy was working at. This would make sense because it's from the director of the first saw. Anyone else who saw the film notice this? As for the box office, Hop and Insidious did about what I expect them too. However, I was disapointed by Source Code's box office results. I expected it to do about the same adjustment berua did in the box-office. Hopefully it will have strong legs as I have heard nothing but good things about it so far. I

Apr 3 - 05:14 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

Yep, I noticed it too.

Apr 4 - 05:05 PM

kalikoda

nick c

PG-13 Chiller Flick ? why don't they just make it a horror and not worry about giving children nightmares ?

Apr 4 - 06:44 PM

Spencer S.

Spencer Saunders

So every horror movie needs to be R?

Insidious shows you can make a good horror movie without blood and guts.

Apr 6 - 02:17 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

Really anxious to watch Source Code, Moon was an awesome movie so I have no doubt that SC will deliver as well. I gotta laugh at SP though, I saw it over the weekend and it was awful, worst movie of the year for me so far (from what I've seen). Sad to see Hop take the top spot, but crappy family movies often do, so whatever.

Apr 3 - 05:34 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

Yeah, Moon was an ignored movie but better than most that year and in my opinion deserved a best picture nod.

Apr 3 - 08:09 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Source Code was solidly entertaining, such that I was able to put aside my burning hatred for pretty much every Jake G film aside from October Sky (didn't care for Zodiac). Now for the movie lull. Unless Scream 4 pulls a miracle, looks like it's back to Netflix until summer for me.

Apr 3 - 05:40 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Hanna does look promising though.

Apr 3 - 05:40 PM

Premo Beat

John Noto

Hanna does look promising though.

Apr 3 - 05:40 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Glad to see Sucker Punch fall so hard. Warner Bros. still has time to pull that joke of a director off of the Superman project.

Apr 3 - 05:49 PM

Sean P.

Sean Peecook

300 was stylish, Dawn of the Dead was intense and The Watchmen was as good as it could have turned out. Snyder is NOT a joke.

Apr 3 - 09:24 PM

Kadeem S.

Kadeem Stewart

Yeah, Synder IS not a joke. Just because "Sucker Punch" was a mistake at the box office doesn't mean that he isn't the one to blame.

Apr 3 - 09:34 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

I find your lack of single negatives disturbing...

Apr 3 - 10:09 PM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

You and me and the world box office will have to agree to disagree based on his last 3 films (Watchmen, Ga'Hoole, Sucker Punch)
Global audiences are becoming less and less interested in this guy's product and it shows in the global Box Office receipts for his films.
The last thing we need is another Superman film that is all style and no substance.

Apr 4 - 08:24 AM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Well, I was right about Hop topping the weekend. A easter bunny movie from the director of Alvin and the Chipmunks? Yeah, kids did buy that crap (like they did with Wimpy Kid 2). And with easter in a few weeks, it will hold up well.

I wish Source Code would be number 1, but I'm happy for it now. It should have legs so, good for everyone involved. I saw it, and it was so good. Didn't like the ending, but I almost cried during parts of it. One of the year's best. Duncan Jones might become the next big director (a la Christopher Nolan).

Well not really too sad for Sucker Punch dropping hard. It wasn't a very good movie. At least Synder has Superman to redeem himself.

Apr 3 - 05:56 PM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Oh and I didn't see Insidious, because the villain (or the bad guy, or whatever the hell it was) looked like Darth Maul's cousin. So don't know whether or not to be happy for it. I heard it was a mediocre film, so yeah man.

Apr 3 - 05:58 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

@ The Dude
you're mostly right about the movies you talked about. however.....
can people stop grouping us kids together?
i might be a kid, but i'd rather gouge my eyeballs out with hot needles than see hop!
some of us, like me, don't buy that shit. for example, my favorite movie is eternal sunshine- NNNNNNNNOTTTTTTTTTTTT Transformers 2, Clash of the Titans, or Alvin and the Chipmunks.
why does everybody think we're ALL total retards?!?!?! some of us are, tho :(

Apr 3 - 10:05 PM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Hey buddy, not to sound mean, but I'm not a kid. I'm 16, which makes me a teenager or young adult. But I totally agree with what you're saying. I overheard these kids in my English class talking about how they thought Beastly was so good. My favorite 2 movie ever is Pulp Fictiion and The Big Lebowski, not Transformers 2 or any of the Twilight movies. They also the same kids that get Jersey Shore four seasons while shows like Community struggle to make ratings

Apr 3 - 10:20 PM

Henry O.

Henry Owens

I'm only 13, but the only reason i'd see a film like Hop or Alvin And The Chipmunks Is if I was taking my little brother. I can't understand what children see in these family films, there awful, annoying, frustrating. But I guess a 6 year old see's a CGI bunny and lots of colours and claims it's the best movie ever! But my 2 favourite films are Starship Troopers and The Lost Boys, not Transformers 2 and DEFENETLEY not Clash Of The Titans.

Apr 3 - 11:26 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I'm 14, My favorite movies include Fight Club, The Godfather, Pulp Fiction and The BIg Lebowski. My favorite film of 2010 was The Social Network. I hate Transformers and Twilight. Though I gotta admit, this site has helped me A LOT in developing my taste. Before I came on here, I used to think Transformers 2 rocked the shit.

Apr 4 - 11:07 AM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

Yeah, Im 15 year old (girl) as well. I think its increadibly sad that children these days have to sit through such garbage. I flat out refused to take my 5 year old sister to "Hop". (I absolutely despise Illumination Entertainment for the abomination that was "Despicable Me". This movie certaily doesn't leave a good second impression). I'll show here good ol' fashion Peter Cottontail instead. Bet a hundred bucks she'll like it better :P.

Source Code: Good flick. Better than Limitless, as it had consistent pace this time. Solidly acted and scripted. I was hoping it would open better, but I bet it will show decent legs.

Apr 4 - 06:37 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Someday all you children will have children, and then you will understand.

Apr 4 - 08:23 AM

JS

j s

lol

Apr 4 - 10:33 AM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Seriously! I'm 30 and I feel like a fucking grandpa in here!!

Apr 4 - 10:58 AM

nongshim

Kathryne C

I'm 15 and I know what it feels like. My 6 year old sister was in hysterics when I wouldn't take her to see Yogi Bear.

Apr 4 - 03:12 PM

dudemeister

dude meister

Agreed Dude. Jones has a lot of potential, and its nice to see a child of a star actually doing things with their lives other than partying and getting arrested. Bowie should be proud. And I also loved Source Code, and really disliked the ending.

Apr 4 - 11:12 AM

The Dude

Gene Arnold

Apr 3 - 05:58 PM

Noah S.

Noah Simon

@ The Dude
you're mostly right about the movies you talked about. however.....
can people stop grouping us kids together?
why does everybody think we're ALL total retards?!?!?! some of us are, tho :(

Apr 4 - 11:07 AM

TheAnimatorRator

Megan Gierasch

Apr 4 - 06:37 PM

CFM

'schak Attack

Someday all you children will have children, and then you will understand.

Apr 4 - 08:23 AM

JS

j s

lol

Apr 4 - 10:33 AM

LakersFan-BostonSucks

Matt St. John

Seriously! I'm 30 and I feel like a fucking grandpa in here!!

Apr 4 - 10:58 AM

nongshim

Kathryne C

Apr 4 - 03:12 PM

JC Martel

JC Martel

They should just stop making real movies altogether and concentrate on just making cartoons. These sh*ts all make 100 mill no matter what.

Apr 3 - 06:05 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Haha

Apr 3 - 09:25 PM

The.Watcher

The Watcher

It's funny cos it's true... and when I say "funny", I mean that in the saddest way possible, with tears. I mean, (y)O.G. Bear made like a 100 mil, it's embarrassing.

Apr 3 - 10:12 PM

Odd E.

Odd Even

LOLz. This guy should work in Hollywood. He knows where the money is.

Apr 4 - 10:21 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

Mars Needs Moms wishes that was a true I bet

Apr 4 - 03:47 PM

Chris L.

Chris Liu

I was really surprised at Hop, considering other live-action talking-animal pics like Marmaduke and the way they flopped. I guess the bunny's cuter, and that's all that matters.

Source Code, depending on how much of the film and its thematic implications a viewer understands, ranges from moderately entertaining to utter brilliance. A little disappointed to see the B Cinemascore, and that's someone who's cynical about the intelligence of North American audiences. I'm sure it'll hold fairly well, since it's demographic will skew older due to word-of-mouth in the weeks ahead.

Apr 3 - 06:20 PM

Bay is .001 Nolan

Bay is .001 Nolan

Ugh anyone else here don't get Russell Brand? Many are saying that his "star power" got Hop on #1. I don't really get him just like his wife musically (if one can even call her a singer)! Source Code is great and should have been on top, can't wait for Duncan Jones future projects.

Apr 3 - 08:31 PM

Andrew W.

Andrew Whitefield

Wait and see if that holds true for Arthur. Watch how it performs, it could be a make or break for Russell B.

I am not really that excited about him or his act, but damn his wife is HOT!!!

Apr 4 - 08:33 AM

kalikoda

nick c

she can't sing great but she sure has a great set of lungs.

Apr 4 - 06:49 PM

redrooster0

Charlie Voelker

Source Code was great, best movie I've seen so far this year.

Apr 3 - 06:27 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Finally got to see Rango, and loved it!! Fantastic film. Didn't get to anything else unfortunately, luckily spring break gives me all week to catch up on films. A "B" cinescore for Source Code?? That's surprising considering I've heard nothing but good things from people who've seen it. Looking forward to Hanna, maybe, possibly, I'm not sure, but maybe Your Highness.

Apr 3 - 06:40 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Disappointed I didn't get out to see Source Code over the weekend. I'll try to sometime during the coming week, as it looks great and anything from the Moon director is worth checking out. A little disappointed it didn't open at #1, especially by such a landslide. Hop looks pretty generic, don't think I'll be checking it out, and though Insidious looks intriguing, I'm not a big horror fan so I probably won't be seeing it. After I see Source Code, I probably won't make another trip to the cinema until POTC:OST opens at the start of may. Quite disheartening that nothing coming this April, but it's to be expected, I guess, since April's always a slow month for the movies. Anyone else have an April movie they're looking forward to?

Apr 3 - 06:45 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I'll try to catch Source Code in theaters. Moon is one of my all-time favorite movies. I'm kind of bummed though that Clint Mansell didn't do the score for it...but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Apr 3 - 06:53 PM

Brian B.

Brian Barreto

@Shiggy- Clint Mansell is probably too busy, since he's composing the music for the upcoming Mass Effect 3.

Apr 3 - 07:55 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I might go see Your Highness if it gets good marks from critics; looks like it could be a funny movie, and I love the cast.

Apr 3 - 08:39 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

I was originally really looking forward too it, and the cast does look great, but now that I've seen more trailers it's looking like it might be one of those movies that relies solely on extremely crude humor for laughs. Don't get me wrong, I've loved movies like Blades of Glory, The Hangover and The Other Guys that have those elements, but Your Highness looks like it might just go a little overboard in that department. If it does get good reviews, though, I'll consider seeing it.

Apr 3 - 09:33 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Did you just say you did not see Source Code, but you wish it would have won the top spot this week? What if you don't like it? Pretty presumptious.

Apr 4 - 02:27 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

For one, Moon is an amazing movie. For two, it got incredible reviews, many calling it the best film of the year. For three, I'm a big fan of Jake Gyllenhall. And for four, it was beat out by a movie that was certified at 25% on the tomatometer, has been universally panned by critics and was released by the same guys who cursed us with Alvin and the Chipmunks. Need I say more?

Apr 4 - 10:15 PM

THEREWOLF

Markus Arbutina

Actually it's still pretty silly. 1) Moon may have been good, but in contrast, Signs was good but before I saw the Village I didn't claim it should be number one. 2) Critics exist to let you know what they think of a film so you can either check it out or not check it out. I don't base my movie likes on whether or not critics enjoyed them. I actually go to the theater and watch them for myself.

Apr 5 - 03:56 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Apr 3 - 06:46 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

I don't get all the hate for Sucker Punch. It was a consistently entertaining and rather fun action/fantasy flick. I actually wish it was a bit longer. I'll definitely try to see it again before it leaves theaters. I'll be looking forward to the Blu-ray.

Apr 3 - 06:51 PM

David Tanny

David Tanny

Apr 3 - 06:53 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

Seeing Source Code some time this week, looking forward to it.

Snyder better deliver with Superman, because after two back to back flops (possibly three counting the owl movie), he is in a lot of danger of losing his status as a blockbuster director.

Apr 3 - 07:17 PM

Wisenheimer

Joshua Dinsmore

Let's hope he doesn't turn into the next Michael Bay. That would be a great horror movie topic. lol

Apr 3 - 09:23 PM

ChristophMiddle

Christoph M

Sucker Punch wasn't great, but I thought it was better than Snyder's highly overrated 300. Sorry but that movie just wasn't that good. It had literally zero human element to it and hence the action wasn't involving in the slightest. Sucker Punch had at least a modicum (if nothing more) of humanity.

I can't wait to see Source Code. I'm stunned it didn't fair better at the box office. Hopefully strong word of mouth allows it to hold on strong. Moon was an understated gem. It was an anti-Snyder/Bay film. The story and characters came first with special effects being used only to further the story telling. With Bay literally the special effects ARE the story. Yuck. Snyder's not much better but at least his visuals have more style.

Apr 4 - 07:05 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships