Hop Reviews

½ August 19, 2012
Cute...for the youngins.
LWOODS04
March 19, 2012
Hop was not as funny as I was hoping, but still it brought a few laughs. The film is cute and the story is somewhat interesting. I admit I did get bored and stop paying attention in some spots. It's a film for the kids more so us adults, even if there are some jokes only us adults will get. So not to bad, but definitely far from being good.
March 11, 2013
Good movie for kids, I think Russell Brand should permanently move to voice acting. That being said this movie has juvenile humor for juveniles, not for adults.
July 29, 2012
I haven't had any real desire to ever watch this, as I thought it looked pretty weak. But, I get dvd's for free and had Grant to myself Saturday so I popped it in and found myself with a kid movie I really enjoyed. Long story short the Easter Bunny is about to retire and he wants his son E.B.(Russell Brand) to take over, but he doesn't want the job. E.B. runs away and meets a loser named Fred(James Marsden) who wants the job, and the 2 set out to help one another, all while this evil chicken Carlos(Hank Azaria) threatens to take over Easter. See, total kids movie, but it is very funny. Russell Brand is absolutely perfect as E.B. I always find him either hilarious or annoying, and here he is hilarious. He has some great lines that adults will get, while never crossing the line for kids. The rest of the cast is just ok, but the story/effects/humor really shine and make a very enjoyable movie. Just goes to show, some movies can surprise ya for the better sometimes.
½ March 28, 2011
From the creators of Despicable Me, a great family film, comes "Hop," an overly cheesy film with a plot that a child could have thought of. It is very rare that a film is ever made about the easter holiday but when we get films like these, we are reminded of why that is. James Marsden plays Fred O'Hare, an underachieving man who still lives with his parents. His parents are very upset that he does not have a job. When his childhood memory comes to life and he finds an easter bunny, the story takes a turn. Not really, but the story of the movie is that fact that he will become the first human easter bunny. Probably one of the worst ideas for a film in a long time, but the execution was not that bad, for what it was. Kids will probably love this simply lame excuse for a film, but anyone else who watches it will not accept it for anything less than what it is, pure hollywood cheese, and not the fun kind. "Hop" is a dreadful movie with unfunny jokes and visual effects that will make you want to hurl. Definitely skip this one people!
MANUGINO
April 7, 2011
Big Game, Big Ears.

Good movie. You can't expect alot from this movie but it was interesting and fun enough for worth the while. Kids will like it.

Blending state-of-the-art animation with live action, Hop tells the comic tale of Fred, an out-of-work slacker who accidentally injures the Easter Bunny and must take him in as he recovers. As Fred struggles with the world's worst house guest, both will learn what it takes to finally grow up.
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ March 8, 2011
The second work from Illumination Pictures, who brought us the joyful 'Despicable Me' in 2010, turns out not to be as good as their first work but for me it's still an enjoyable movie to be watched.. The story itself are simple, the effects was okay cause I bet all the kids who watched this movie want themselves a good treat of candy after watching this movie and they wouldn't agree with the critics about the score of this movie.. For the cast, well I can't have anything more to say.. James Marsden now officially trapped as a comedy actors after having the not-rising-role as Cyclops in X-Men trilogies (since Hugh Jackman stole the star), while for Kaley Cuoco she's still an adorable comedy actress since I fall in love with her in 'The Big Bang Theory' TV Series.. The other human cast like Elizabeth Perkins, Gary Cole, or even David Hasselhoff himself, well I can't say much about them.. The voice cast were pretty brilliant I thought, having Russell Brand as the main cast voice of E.B. or Hugh Lauries as E.B.'s dad, but Hank Azaria stole my attention with his funny interpretation voice of Carlos.. Overall, it's an enjoyable movie to be watched in your spare time, even though it's not as enjoyable as 'Despicable Me' and definitely not rising the Easter spirits on me..
3niR
½ August 4, 2011
I actually liked it.
July 29, 2011
This movie was obviously shat out to earn a quick buck over Easter. Mission accomplished. It starts off terribly with a narration by James Marsden telling us "This is the story of the first human Easter Bunny." Right then all tension is lost and the story becomes pointless. Marsden's troubles finding a job and being a disappointment to his father mean nothing, as we know he'll get a great job in the end. The comedic interview scene isn't funny because we know this isn't the job he'll get. And the threat by the chick trying to take over Easter is dull because, well, we all know how this is going to end because you JUST TOLD US!!! Sure, you knew how it would end even without them telling you, but at least pretend you're trying something different. The comedy is pretty much miss, but I'm sure the target audience will laugh at the bunny pooing jelly beans. I was impressed that there was no forced romantic subplot for the human or bunny. This saved me from enduring another 15 minutes of the movie. The relationships between the sons and their fathers' was a bit of a miss, as Marsden came off as a dick of a son, and Laurie came off as a dick of a father. Perhaps it would have made more sense to team Marsden with Laurie and Brand with Cole. Other aspects annoyed me, such as the whole house sitting subplot. It was totally uncalled for, and all it did was make me wonder what kind of person can afford a mansion, but needs someone to house sit. The original owners never even return for a comedic misunderstanding.
May 25, 2011
Can't lie - this film was bad, real bad. It had so many holes, so many strange plot points, in short so many problems. But E.B. is a cute character, the story is fun enough if a bit ridiculous, I can't help but enjoy this sickeningly sweet film.
DreamExtractor
½ March 13, 2011
Hop is a new version of the first Alvin and the Chipmunks. Hop has a few funny jokes and a lot of cliche moments. The acting was awful, no adult (even in a kids movie) acts like that. The premise would've been great if they didn't make the characters so dumb and boring. The plot was good at first, but started to go more and more downhill. The movie could've done a lot more, but I think it could've been a better animated movie than whatever the heck this was.
½ May 5, 2011
Divertido filme para a familia. PorĂ (C)m um roteiro nĂ£o muito bom.
April 2, 2011
A pyramid scheme of contrived solutions and characters piled on top of each other to develop a plot. We're the losers at the bottom.
½ April 5, 2011
Candy, Chicks, and Rock 'n' Roll

...

Hop is about bunny who is up next in becoming the Easter bunny; however, E.B., this bunny doesn't want to follow his heritage path in becoming the Easter bunny because he hopes to be a rockstar. He runaway and on his escape he is ran over by Fred (Marsden). Together these to have to work together, and make sure every kid receives their Easter egg.

What merely seems to be a good plot, fails due to the voice over, graphics, and mainstream unoriginality. . There are some things in Hop that just don't match, like putting Brand to voice a young bunny. The only voice over that works this entire movie is Laurie's, and the only convincing acting is from Cuoco.

The graphics are disappointing, really nothing spectacular. However the real reason why this movie didn't stand out there for me was because it tried to create characters that would be loved by everyone, and it just didn't work!

However, this movie is still able to entertain its run time, but there is nothing to take from it. Yet I believe that this movie will satisfy every child, its colorful and hyper activeness will serve as delight for most children out there. Don't be fooled, if you still think that every kids movie, Like Shrek, or The Incredibles, has something for each one of us, well this will prove you wrong.

E.B. : "My dad's right, I really need to get my act together. In Hollywood! "
April 1, 2011
A harmless but forgettable kids movie sure to make a load of dough based solely on the fact that there have been essentially no movies released for kids in months (hell, parents were so starved for kids entertainment, even Gnomeo & Juliet made some money). Animation-wise, we've come a long way since Roger Rabbit, as the integrating of animation and live-action is virtually seamless.
E.B. is undeniably cute, and most of the live action cast is fine, but why the inclusion of David Hasselhoff? It's (dumb) joke casting. What I wish they had included a lot more of is the Pink Berets - a fun concept that ended up being barely used.
½ December 2, 2011
April 4, 2011
There's a star for each of James Marsden's dimples. That makes two. He's awfully charming and it's fun to see him romp around charmingly, but unless you have a six year-old in your house, there may not be much else to draw you here. There's a strange story that reinvents the Easter Bunny as a Santa Claus type, with a sleigh pulled by chicks and some kind of mythological pull on human beings that in the movie seems a LOT stronger than it is in real life, but maybe that's just me. I don't want to be the Easter version of the Grinch here, but a whole movie devoted to the ascendency of the new Easter Bunny is stretching it just a little, dontcha think? But again, James Marsden is shiny and cute and there's nothing offensive here - even the Easter Bunny pooping jelly beans is cute. But it's all a little like eating a big bag of jelly beans - sweet as it goes down but your tummy kind of hurts when it's all over...
½ March 31, 2011
Despite the fact that we get to hear Russell Brand do voicework, this movie doesn't work. It's too boring, too predictable and only gets its stars because the animination is excellent. Unfortunately we're not here just to see pictures.
½ April 7, 2011
Singlehandedly proving that The Tooth Fairy wasn't the lowest low for realizing imaginary kid icons on screen, Hop makes rabbit stew out of the Easter Bunny legend. Its religious omissions aside, this half-animated kid flick boils down Alvin and the Chipmunks' one ridiculous plot and three annoying characters into one rotten colored egg. Party animal with musical aspirations? Check. Slacker human who gets saddled with caring for this messy animal? Double check. Tired hi-jinks thrust on families used to Pixar-quality entertainment? Checkmate. While the beady-eyed bunny is cute as a button, his recycled shenanigans and unfunny dialogue certainly aren't. One scene finds a bunny crapping jellybeans. Oh, Hop surely lays a bomb but it sure as hell isn't sweet.

In this PG-rated Hop, cotton-tailed E.B. (Brand) ditches his Easter responsibilities and heads to Hollywood to become a famous drummer, only to get sidelined by an out-of-work slacker (Marsden).

After giving two promising performances in Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him to the Greek (both as the same character, over-sexed rocker Aldous Snow), English comedian Russell Brand seems miscast here as a mischievous lil' bunny. This R-rated comic can be quite funny, just not for an audience for whom his raunchy humor has to be watershipped down. Why the movie's Easter Island rabbits had to be British is beyond this reviewer. What's even more head scratching is why the head of the Easter Island labor force is a Hispanic chick fiendishly looking to take down upper management. Man, race relations were already strained enough!

Bottom line: Duck season...as in duck and cover.
April 16, 2012
It was cute, and something to watch at Easter time, but there was nothing memorable about it.