Hope Floats (1998)
Average Rating: 4.9/10
Reviews Counted: 33
Fresh: 8 | Rotten: 25
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4.6/10
Critic Reviews: 8
Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 8
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 60,376
Actor/director Forest Whitaker (Waiting to Exhale) helmed this romantic drama about a one-time high-school beauty queen who returns to her hometown of Smithville, TX. The Steven Rogers screenplay begins in Chicago, where blonde Connie (Rosanna Arquette, uncredited) appears on a trashy daytime talk show and tells a nationwide TV audience about her affair with the husband of her best friend, Birdie Pruitt (Sandra Bullock). Walking into the ambush, Birdie is paraded forth for a public humiliation
May 29, 1998 Wide
Jan 8, 2002
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The plot of this tear-jerker is a little heavy-handed, and so is the directing by Forest Whitaker.
Well, no it doesn't.
In order for us to believe in the future and to step into it with buoyancy, we need the nurturing support of those nearest and dearest to us. Then hope floats.
Nothing spells dull and saccharine quite like the two dreaded H's--hugs and healing.
The first half of this Sandra Bullock vehicle is so winning and observant, it's especially disappointing when the storyline begins losing air at the midway point.
Audience Reviews for Hope Floats
Movies Like Hope Floats
- Ramona Calvert: Look at me. My life has no meanin' or direction, and I'm happy. Look at Kermit there. You think it's easy bein' green?
- Birdee Pruitt: Who's Big Dolores?
- Travis: She's the meanest and dumbest girl in school, but she keeps passin' because even teachers are afraid of big Dolores. She has her own gang too.
- Birdee Pruitt: You just never liked Bill.
- Ramona Calvert: Oh, I like all of God's creatures; I just like some of them better stuffed. And he's one of them.
- Birdee Pruitt: Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life tryin' to overcome.
- Bernice Pruitt: At home we had a pet skunk. Mama used to call it Justin Matisse. Do you think that's just a coincidence? All day long she would to scream, "You stink Justin Matisse" Then one day she just picked up a club and killed it.
- Justin Matisse: Now that's a sad story.
- Bernice Pruitt: If you liked the skunk, which we didn't.
- Ramona Calvert: Look at me. My life has no meanin' or direction, and I'm happy.
Discuss Hope Floats on our Movie forum!