Hope Floats (1998)
Average Rating: 4.9/10
Reviews Counted: 33
Fresh: 8 | Rotten: 25
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 4.6/10
Critic Reviews: 8
Fresh: 0 | Rotten: 8
No consensus yet.
Average Rating: 3.3/5
User Ratings: 60,577
Actor/director Forest Whitaker (Waiting to Exhale) helmed this romantic drama about a one-time high-school beauty queen who returns to her hometown of Smithville, TX. The Steven Rogers screenplay begins in Chicago, where blonde Connie (Rosanna Arquette, uncredited) appears on a trashy daytime talk show and tells a nationwide TV audience about her affair with the husband of her best friend, Birdie Pruitt (Sandra Bullock). Walking into the ambush, Birdie is paraded forth for a public humiliation
May 29, 1998 Wide
Jan 8, 2002
Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment
Watch It Now
No Friends? Inconceivable! Log in to see what your friends have to say.
The plot of this tear-jerker is a little heavy-handed, and so is the directing by Forest Whitaker.
Well, no it doesn't.
In order for us to believe in the future and to step into it with buoyancy, we need the nurturing support of those nearest and dearest to us. Then hope floats.
Nothing spells dull and saccharine quite like the two dreaded H's--hugs and healing.
The first half of this Sandra Bullock vehicle is so winning and observant, it's especially disappointing when the storyline begins losing air at the midway point.
Audience Reviews for Hope Floats
Movies Like Hope Floats
- Ramona Calvert: You smell just delicious, Justin, are you wearin' cologne?
- Justin Matisse: Naw, just sweat with a little painter thinner in it.
- Birdee Pruitt: Mom, wake up! Oh God, please don't do this.
- Ramona Calvert: You have a birthday comin' up. You wanna tell me what you wish for?
- Bernice Pruitt: No.
- Ramona Calvert: No? Well, that's all right; I'll figure it out with my Grandma magic.
- Birdee Pruitt: I would walk through fire before I would break up a family, because I am not a quitter.
- Ramona Calvert: Mothers always love their daughters, even if they show it poorly.
- Ramona Calvert: Boy, she has a face on her like a bucket of worms.
Discuss Hope Floats on our Movie forum!