Hope Springs - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hope Springs Reviews

October 27, 2015
Gorgeous film about a middle-aged couple who have been married for 31yrs and its all a bit stale...... Meryl Streep & Tommy Lee Jones make the perfect couple!!!
October 6, 2015
Billed as a comedy but very apposite to the experience of couples everywhere in long-term relationships. There was a lot of relevant stuff here in among the laughs.

Meryl was good value as ever; playing a personality that comes across as weak initially but ultimately powerful. We enjoyed this one.
October 5, 2015
WOW.......WOW.....WOW......WOW.....WHAT A MOVIE........I HAVE JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE 2 WATCH......ITS GOT A GOOD CAST OF ACTORS/ACTRESSESS THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......I THINK THAT tommy lee jones, meryl streep, steve carrell, ben Rappaport, jean smart, play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this comedy/drama movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......I think that tommy lee jones was absolutely brilliant throughout this movie, as he played the role so well throughout this movie......

The project was first announced in 2010 with Streep and Jeff Bridges in talks for the leads and Mike Nichols attached as director. Bridges soon dropped out, and James Gandolfini and Philip Seymour Hoffman were soon attached to the project.

The project then replaced Nichols with David Frankel, without the involvement of Ganfoldini and Hoffman. Steve Carell joined the cast in February 2011, with Tommy Lee Jones replacing Bridges in the opposite lead.

Filming took place in September and October 2011 in Connecticut.

Reviews were mostly positive, with critics praising the cast, particularly Streep, Jones, and Carell. On Metacritic, which assigns a weighted mean rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the film scored a 65 out of 100, indicating "generally positive reviews". The film holds a 74% approval rating on aggregate review site Rotten Tomatoes with an average score of 6.6/10, based on 159 reviews. The site's consensus states "Led by a pair of mesmerizing performances from Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, Hope Springs offers filmgoers some grown-up laughs -- and a thoughtful look at mature relationships."Rex Reed of The New York Observer praised the film, saying "I think everything about the movie is too subtle and real to appeal to the Batman demographic, but for mature audiences who have forgotten how to smile, it takes up where The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel left off." Angie Errigo of Empire magazine felt that while the film was "Very funny, it's also penetrating on the ravages of time on love and marriage and sweetly touching, but with abundantly incongruous randy content to heartily amuse." Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times praised the performance of Jones, writing, "The reason to see it is for Jones. This man who can stride fearlessly through roles requiring strong, determined men, this actor who can seem in complete control, finds a character here who seems unlike any other he has played and plays it bravely

its got such a good soundtrack throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch, it is such a highly entertaining movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a powerful drama movie 2 watch, but it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......I think that both meryl streep/tommy lee jones were absolutely brilliant throughout this movie as the 2 lead roles throughout this movie......I think that this is such a really funny movie 2 watch, with a great cast throughout this movie..........
September 2, 2015
not deep enough! I couldn't take it seriously
February 3, 2013
With terrific chemistry from Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones, Hope Springs is a funny, heartwarming, and mature romantic comedy
½ July 7, 2015
At times the film was draggy, and other times it seemed a little bit fluffy and cheesy, but that did NOT stop this movie from being great. Meryl, Tommy Lee Jones, and Steve Carell all give great performances. They are totally convincing in their roles, and their characters are super developed. The great thing about this movie is that you don't have to relate to one of the characters to understand what they are going through, because every single character is very complex and has a specific conflict. Some movies focus more on the plot, while others focus more on character development, but I felt that this film did very well at balancing the two. What I liked most about this movie, however, is how realistic it is. Not only is the theme realistic and relevant to countless people and couples around the world, but the actual story line that happens between Meryl and Tommy Lee could very well be based on real life. It isn't just a great idea for a movie that some writer came up with, but you see a lot of real life situations in this movie. I highly suggest it, mainly to a 30+ audience, but once again, you can be any age to see this movie and understand what the characters are going through.
December 25, 2012
A fresh, er "seasoned", twist on boy has girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back. Streep is perfection (as always) as the housewife that yearns for lovin'. Jones is the sour husband that felt put on the back burner too long. After 31 years of marriage it was time to see a specialist (Carrell who is spot on). It may be predictable but it's still a sweet story.
½ October 2, 2012
That was good! Weird moments, touching scenes and a pretty great cast!
½ April 1, 2015
I made the mistake of seeing this with my mom but I ended up liking this movie despite that. It gave me a outlook on what marriage can be like and what I might go thru someday in my marriage. Had to see this because of Meryl and I loved it.
February 15, 2015
A sweet little comedy with great performances from Streep and Jones. Carell also does a good job
January 30, 2015
Even though I love Meryl Streep, the movie was nothing special to me...
½ December 15, 2014
The storyline is nice enough, but it's the interplay between Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones that make this movie watchable. You expect Steve Carrell to be more outrageous than he actually is in his role as therapist.
½ April 7, 2013
A good recommended old timers dramedy, starring two Academy Awards winners and nominees in a good chemistry that consists good performances alongside some comedy for old marriages. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ December 15, 2014
A quite good movie with real-life characters and very good acting. Many emotions that are deep-rooted in a failing marriage (or at best one that's only "comfortable") are exposed and ameliorated, leading to a stumbling return to a personally and mutually rewarding future together.
August 9, 2012
This movie is mostly about how much depth does Tommy Lee Jones have as an actor. I suppose he is pretty vulnerable in this role but I prefer him going after fugitives or aliens. Meryl Streep never gets it wrong but here she is girlish and determined and her character seems to have come of age in the 1950s. Steve Carell plays the therapist. There are no laughs in this.
½ November 15, 2014
Not horrible, but not good either. Very well acted, but poorly paced and kind of dull, it's essentially Streep and Jones talking about their naughty bits for a 90-minute movie that feels much longer.
½ October 10, 2014
Well written and acted film, best appreciated by mature aged audiences.
½ October 9, 2014
It's refreshing when I see movies as well-written, acted and touching as "Hope Springs." While the story has a bit of a Hollywood ending, any evidence of Hollywood cheese is removed from the perfect casting. Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carell add a level of authenticity to the emotions of these characters that make this film nearly perfect. The acting is about as good as it gets. As an old married guy myself, I couldn't help but smile even through the ending credits as this sweet story came to a close.
May 11, 2013
It is too slow for its own good, but the charming performances of Streep and Jones are enough to hold the picture, and the situations allow some honest laughs with flushed cheeks.
½ September 19, 2014
A romantic comedy this certainly was not. Most of the movie was actually dully and achingly depressing. Thankfully there were enough redeeming moments to take away that feeling of utter hopelessness. Some well-placed cameos by Elisabeth Shue and Mimi Rogers helped as well.