Hope Springs Reviews

½ October 2, 2012
That was good! Weird moments, touching scenes and a pretty great cast!
½ April 1, 2015
I made the mistake of seeing this with my mom but I ended up liking this movie despite that. It gave me a outlook on what marriage can be like and what I might go thru someday in my marriage. Had to see this because of Meryl and I loved it.
February 15, 2015
A sweet little comedy with great performances from Streep and Jones. Carell also does a good job
January 30, 2015
Even though I love Meryl Streep, the movie was nothing special to me...
½ December 15, 2014
The storyline is nice enough, but it's the interplay between Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones that make this movie watchable. You expect Steve Carrell to be more outrageous than he actually is in his role as therapist.
½ April 7, 2013
A good recommended old timers dramedy, starring two Academy Awards winners and nominees in a good chemistry that consists good performances alongside some comedy for old marriages. (B)

(Full review coming soon)
½ December 15, 2014
A quite good movie with real-life characters and very good acting. Many emotions that are deep-rooted in a failing marriage (or at best one that's only "comfortable") are exposed and ameliorated, leading to a stumbling return to a personally and mutually rewarding future together.
August 9, 2012
This movie is mostly about how much depth does Tommy Lee Jones have as an actor. I suppose he is pretty vulnerable in this role but I prefer him going after fugitives or aliens. Meryl Streep never gets it wrong but here she is girlish and determined and her character seems to have come of age in the 1950s. Steve Carell plays the therapist. There are no laughs in this.
½ November 15, 2014
Not horrible, but not good either. Very well acted, but poorly paced and kind of dull, it's essentially Streep and Jones talking about their naughty bits for a 90-minute movie that feels much longer.
½ October 10, 2014
Well written and acted film, best appreciated by mature aged audiences.
½ October 9, 2014
It's refreshing when I see movies as well-written, acted and touching as "Hope Springs." While the story has a bit of a Hollywood ending, any evidence of Hollywood cheese is removed from the perfect casting. Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carell add a level of authenticity to the emotions of these characters that make this film nearly perfect. The acting is about as good as it gets. As an old married guy myself, I couldn't help but smile even through the ending credits as this sweet story came to a close.
May 11, 2013
It is too slow for its own good, but the charming performances of Streep and Jones are enough to hold the picture, and the situations allow some honest laughs with flushed cheeks.
½ September 19, 2014
A romantic comedy this certainly was not. Most of the movie was actually dully and achingly depressing. Thankfully there were enough redeeming moments to take away that feeling of utter hopelessness. Some well-placed cameos by Elisabeth Shue and Mimi Rogers helped as well.
December 13, 2012
a couple of curmudgeons wine for a few hours and depress me. Great actors, terrible script
September 10, 2014
Not exactly in my wheelhouse, but nonetheless a pretty good movie. Tommy Lee Jones is good at being cranky, lol. Streep is good of course, and sort of a departure for her (no accents).
September 8, 2014
i could not stand this slow plodding nonsense--i was waiting for the corgies
for something of value , but ran out of patience.
July 27, 2014
Tommy was hysterical as an old curmudgeon but something was missing in the story. It seemed contrived and shallow. Good entertainment but hard to take seriously. Streep, as usual, was outstanding, given what she had to work with. Carrell was ok, but again, a shallow role. They've all had better roles, times are tough, I guess!
July 27, 2014
watching people being awkward was awkward (obviously)
July 27, 2014
Fully enjoyable. Great acting. Feels felt.
December 18, 2012
A really good movie about marriage and tryin' to stay happy and entertained in the marriage,well worth it!